PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need somebody, Help, not just anybody, Help, you know I need someone, heeeelp

jamiedan2009
16-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Two questions for all you clever Monster type people, if you'd be so kind?

First, i'm losing clutch fluid at an alarming rate - having to top up the res every couple of rides! Being as there's still paint on my bars and tank, it's reasonable to assume that i need a new clutch slave cylinder (Oberon) amirite?

Secondly, i'm a bit confused by the Oberon website regarding bar-end indicators. I bought a pair for my Harley which don't fit the Monster because Harleys use inch diameter bars. I think it's safe to say that i need two "14mm to 16mm Collets with M6 Thread" but they also sell "Special M8 Brass Bolt with hollow shaft". Whats confusing me is that the collets are M6 but the brass bolt is M8. Will i be ok with the bolts that came with the indicators?

Link to the indicator spare parts page -
http://oberon-performance.com/acatalog/Indicator_Parts.html

I did e-mail oberon about this quite a while ago but all i got was an email with a link to the spare parts section of the website, i might man the **** up and phone them in the morning lol.

Any help appreciated, even if it's only to tell me i'm thick! :dunce:

Rally
16-03-2012, 07:00 AM
I would agree on the clutch. Oberon is the best option, I'm not sure where you're coming from about the indicators?

jamiedan2009
16-03-2012, 07:22 AM
I think i might be overcomplicating the matter!

He11cat
16-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Ring Oberon they don't bite :)
nice stuff as well !

jamiedan2009
16-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Just did, they were very helpful, all sorted and awaiting shiny things in the post, probably wont be the last time i ask daft questions on this board :D

Sirc
16-03-2012, 08:52 AM
as you say, has to be the slave end and you do need to get on it as the escaping fluid in that quantity won't be doing the engine/crankcases any good. If you look below the slave is it wet/paint bubbling/corroded? You might get away with just changing the seal but whole new cylinder ought to be a definite cure unless you have a leak from the banjo union or bleed nipple.

He11cat
16-03-2012, 08:54 AM
That's what this forums for :)
don't worry .. Crikey can't get much dafter then me :)

Just never ask " where should I put my tax disc?"

Oberon stuffs very nice btw and they are helpful glad your sorted:)

jamiedan2009
16-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Id assumed it was just oil/grease/roadmuck but must be clutch fluid, might get new hose/banjos at same time.

PS. where ARE you meant to put your tax disc lol

Sirc
16-03-2012, 09:30 AM
It's good that you have lots of grime below slave where engine sprocket is as this will help protect crankcase etc from being etched by the brake fluid. If it had been 'squeaky clean' it could have really got to work. As HK says, the success of a good forum relies on people feeling free to ask about whatever they need help with.

Stafford
16-03-2012, 10:25 AM
PS. where ARE you meant to put your tax disc lol

Easy, in you're wallet so no pikey git can nick it.

Nottsbiker
16-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Easy, in you're wallet so no pikey git can nick it.

Agreed, or under the seat - mine never goes on the bike.

gary tompkins
16-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I would agree on the clutch. Oberon is the best option, I'm not sure where you're coming from about the indicators?

MPL make good gear too - but you'll have to import from Germany