PDA

View Full Version : 1000ds sight glass

bozstar
26-11-2003, 12:26 PM
ok, the monnies now done 3 1/2 k, and i've just noticed that the sight glass for the oil level has started to turn 'milky', can't for the life of me remember why this is? is it water entering the oily bits? or something else? Also like the point brought up by br1an i've noticed that its leaking oil from the rear cylinder, the fact its leaving an oily mess on the frame grabbed my attention, still its booked in for a service in 3hree weeks. hope it gets sorted!

bozstar
26-11-2003, 12:28 PM
yes i know the service is for 6k but i booked it a long time ago and havent racked up the mileage i thought i would, but while i've got a workshop slot penciled in best to make the most of it!! the service propper can wait

superlight3
26-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi Bozstar

The milky oil is nothing to worry about too much.

It's mostly caused by condensasion in the crankcase mixing with the oil vapour and going milky. It'll be worse if you do plenty of short (say less than 30 miles) runs as the engine rarely gets up to temperature and cant burn off the condensasion.

A good long run and a change of oil normally sorts it.

Cheers.

Lee.

gary tompkins
26-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Oil leaks have been a problem on some bikes. I've heard of several S4 leaking from the rear cylinder, think it was down to a design fault on the rear base gasket or the wrong type of sealant being used. Fatblokes own 900ie had a rear cylinder leak fixed by OYB under warentee, and PD's Kylie started to leak as well a while back .... any more on offer?

spacemonkey
26-11-2003, 09:26 PM
My breather thingy spat oil onto the base of the rear cylinder giving the impression of a leaky rear.

These bikes 'mayonnaise' the oil more in the winter. Don't worry, as there are much more important things to worry about, like when your girlfriend hates your new car and says it's ugly...
Any opinions (male and female) on the styling of a standard, black, 16v Calibra??

Pedro
26-11-2003, 09:49 PM
Sorry Spacey, but a Calibra? Urrgghh!

Hope it was cheap!!!!

Ped

spacemonkey
26-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey come on!! She's watching over my shoulder... I can hear the 'I told you so's ' from here!

Yes it was, and bloody fast too. And with leather too. Yum...
And it's dirty!

bozstar
27-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanx guys, best i start taking the long route to and from work, its only 11 miles each direction… just enough time to get a reading on the temp guage!!

Pedro
27-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
Hey come on!! She's watching over my shoulder... I can hear the 'I told you so's ' from here!

Yes it was, and bloody fast too. And with leather too. Yum...
And it's dirty!

Isn't Calibra and bloody fast a contradiction in terms!!:D :D

Perish the thought you might clean it!!

Ped
PS Hope the like of leather is not linked to some dark secret.......