PDA

View Full Version : quat d exbox - s2r version

the_adam
05-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi all,

Know it's a bit of a long shot but I don't tend to look at other forums, if anyone happens to see one going can you let me know. I've only ever seen one being sold 2nd hand and a new one is a little pricey really :D Needs to be the s2r version in particular so I don't have too much trouble getting the pipework to fit with the swingarm project

Would consider any kind of under-engine exhaust really but it'd need to be baffled somehow - get the feeling boom tubes may be a little antisocial when I leave for work at 6.30 :chuckle:

Funkatronic
05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
the 996 s4r (2004-2006) version is the same

the_adam
05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
the 996 s4r (2004-2006) version is the same

Thanks for the tip, I'd just read somewhere that the pipes were placed differently on all the 4-valve versions. Think you've just doubled my (rather small) chances of finding one :D

Nottsbiker
05-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Get on a US or Oz Monster forum as they are mega popular over there.

Not my thang personally, and I wonder how they perform when compared to stock / after-market?

Funkatronic
05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
the 998 s4r is different, 996 s4r is the same afaik but for your 695 it might be different again as most aftermarket exhausts for the s2r 800 (and 996 s4r) use the OEM link pipes between the heads and engine and exhaust pipes

Panther
05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm not 100% but I would think that any exhausts from an s2r would not fit your 695. As the location of the whole in the swing arm for the header pipe is in a different location.

So after buying what ever s*r exhaust you would need then need to modd the headers to fit you bike. You might as well get some bespoke exhausts made up, you can always use your original headers to save money too. (this might be cheaper than you think and you can get them made to your design)

P

Albie
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
This is getting slightly confusing..

Adam you will need an aircooled system for the headers. The headers on 916/996/998 etc are triple holed clamped whereas the s2r are 2 bolts..

The options are to you get hold of a complete system withe bladder and buy Buzzbombs stubby Termi. This will keep the noise down.
Or get the headers and then buy the bypass link system pipe and stick any s2r/s4r system on the end.

Or like you said a x box for the s2r as I think they come with headers

the_adam
05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
I should probably have explained my thinking for the exbox idea to begin with, could do with someone more knowledgable to confirm all of this really :)

I was led to believe that the s2r engine headers are in the same location as the 695 - reading another forum (can't remember where) had indicated that the engines are essentially interchangeable without having to play around with the exhausts. I don't know how much truth there is in this of course, but as far as I know both bikes have the same frame. Since engine capacity isn't hugely different and the 695/620 were made around the same time it would make some kind of economic sense to share as many components as possible so that didn't seem too unreasonable.

The exbox idea came about partly because I just like the look of it, but also because (as far as I know) it comes with the required headers - one less thing to worry about. And if the above assumption is correct, it would mean that 695 and s2r versions of it are interchangeable, with the key difference being in the route that the header pipes take in order to clear the different swingarms. And if I'm changing to an s2r swingarm, that's the important bit :thumbsup:

Please tell me if I'm completely wrong though :look: It's going to be a bit of messing about, but the intention is to find alternative winter transport in future, get the Monster looking nice again and keep it as a purely good weather bike

Funkatronic
05-03-2012, 08:21 PM
dont know about the position of the headers in the 2 engines

i have heard it said (authoratative as that is!) that the 800 is a basically a big bore 750, dont know how it relates to the 695 tho,

if you look in the picture which is my s2r 800, you will see the link pipe going into the decat. there is one of the rear header too.

http://www.bdsol.co.uk/monster/s2r800linkpipe.jpg

i know that Qba had his exbox (which originlaly was for the s2r1000) modified to fit. this had a longer header pipe that goes direct to the head without the link pipe, so if you are going to have to go down the mod route, it may be better to looks for an s2r1000 exbox as this will give you more options to chop.

the_adam
06-03-2012, 08:21 AM
I haven't got the bike in front of me but that engine certainly looks extremely similar to mine, the only obvious difference is that mine doesn't need a line to the oil cooler...possibly a good sign? The 695 is essentially a 620 with bigger bore/shorter stroke (heard it has the same bore as the new 803cc engines too although that should probably be treated as a rumour for now!), is it possible that the s2r 800 could just be a more undersquare version of the 695? It'd presumably generate more heat that way which could explain the need for the oil cooler...I'm just throwing random ideas around now though :D

What bike did Qba fit it to? Wondering if it might be worth sending him a PM :)

Panther
06-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Adam, my bike started life as a 620, and I ended up putting a 750 engine in there. The exhaust outlet is in the same place, i.e the old exhaust headers fitted the new engine.
But when I fitted the s*r swingarm, the whole for the downpipe / header was in a different location.

Hope that helps

P.

So your now thinking about fitting an s*r swingarm too? Just look at all the cost if you do this.

the_adam
06-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Yep, the swingarm interfering with the exhaust was my reason for looking to change it. It's quite encouraging that your engine fitted if Funkatronic is right about the s2r being a big bore 750.

I've found a nicely complete swingarm already (from Funkatronic), and got my eye on a few reasonably priced 3-spoke 916 wheels on ebay at the moment. Once I've got an exhaust that fits all of the big expensive bits will be sorted really, then I just have to worry about actually getting the job done. And possibly painting/powder coating costs :worried: Think this is a project where hammerite should probably be avoided :D

Panther
06-03-2012, 12:11 PM
does the swingarm come the the eccentric hub that's the expensive part, your rear shock and linkage arm will fit onto the s2r swingarm.

IMO the 5 spokes look better than the 3, (and the 10 looks better than the 5 :)) So keep checking, Germany and Italian ebay too.

Panther
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
O you will also need to check to speedo pickup from the rear wheel as the 620 is based on 6 metal pins / luggs on the rear disc and s*r rear disc only has 4, your your speedo will read 2/3's of the real speed.

Funkatronic
06-03-2012, 12:44 PM
might be worth looking at ducati diag (http://ducatidiag.xooit.com/index.php), the deveioper might be able to tell you if its possible to mod the ecu to fix the speedo issue (although 695 might have 4 pins on the speedo pickup too

the_adam
06-03-2012, 01:55 PM
does the swingarm come the the eccentric hub that's the expensive part, your rear shock and linkage arm will fit onto the s2r swingarm.

IMO the 5 spokes look better than the 3, (and the 10 looks better than the 5 :)) So keep checking, Germany and Italian ebay too.

Yep that was included too (it's near the top of the for sale section if you wanted a look), I'm going to compare the state of the 2 shocks and go with whatever's in better condition (after a couple of winters that will almost certainly be his one!). I agree with you about the spokes, but I've got a 3 spoke front wheel and want to keep costs down for now, wasn't convinced that mixing 2 different wheels would look very nice. Might be wrong though, I'll have to see if I can find some photos later just in case :scratch:

Speedo issue is something I hadn't considered, I'll be giving that a check when I get back!

BluprintZ
06-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Not sure if these pics help Adam.
I bought one for the M900 a few years back, it sounded brilliant but the carbs needed re-jetting.

G ; )

Panther
06-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I was not to worried about have 3 spokes on the front and 5 on the back because you really don't notice the front wheel with the dual front discs. (I ended up getting the set of 5 though, As I got them at a good price)

the_adam
06-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I was not to worried about have 3 spokes on the front and 5 on the back because you really don't notice the front wheel with the dual front discs. (I ended up getting the set of 5 though, As I got them at a good price)

Having done an extremely rushed photoshop job (only took 10 minutes and I didn't have a photo of my bike handy, you can laugh if you want :o) it seems that a black+red 3-spoke wheel actually looks quite good...since I came across one of these a few days ago I'm thinking that may be the plan. Maybe :)

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/the_adam_m695/bike.jpg

Qba
06-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Adam.

I fitted my system to s2r 800. Front header is a bit square and slightly out of shape if you compare it to the original system made for s2r 800.

The only downsides are the sound which is a bit dry and mechanical, lacks bass and lacks ground clearance (I scratched It a bit while taking corners). Overall I'm happy and the look justifies all the cons.

To fit it was a fiddly job and it gave Rosso Corsa a bit of a headache. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

rac3r
06-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Personally I think the boom tubes type set up looks a bit better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIM-Lez0Dbs

Littlejimmy has something similar on his S4

the_adam
07-03-2012, 07:53 AM
They look nice enough (I do like the exbox when it's done in black though), it's silencing them that could cause problems. As far as I can tell they're essentially just long header pipes and I leave for work at 6.30 in the morning :chuckle: To be honest I don't like over-loud exhausts anyway, somewhere between baffled and unbaffled termis would be ideal

At the end of the day I don't want to be buying a new one (why are exhausts always so overpriced?) so it might just come down to whatever I can find! :)

Personally I think the boom tubes type set up looks a bit better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIM-Lez0Dbs

Littlejimmy has something similar on his S4

Pedro
07-03-2012, 04:30 PM
If memory serves correctly, the length of the headers will vary on each engine size so check that before buying anything

the_adam
08-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Albie's alternative of the stubby termi is starting to grow on me as well...Since there's a bit of doubt whether the pipes are compatible I'm thinking the standard s2r headers can be obtained for a reasonable price for testing purposes and could be sold on quite easily if it turned out they don't fit. As far as I was aware though they only made that particular can for the s4*, slightly different pipe diameters so it wouldn't fit s2r pipes - can anyone confirm this? Couldn't find buzzbombs one on here either, or does he sell them separately?

As another alternative I've seen someone make a good job of fitting baffles into a couple of these cheap exhaust tips you can get for cars and attaching them directly to the bladder/decat pipe. This doesn't look too bad and would certainly be an inexpensive and easily-available option to start off with. My only concern is that in person it might sound like Chuck Norris gargling bees through a megaphone :chuckle:

Qba
08-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw stubby termi fitted to s2r 1000. Don't know if it was original. Saw it on biketrader.