PDA

View Full Version : two exhausts but one more used than the other?!?

nid
25-11-2003, 10:59 AM
I have just purchased a 2001 monster 900ie and have noticed a curious fact....

Of my two large exhausts, my right hand side (off side) exhaust gets much hotter than the other. Is this normal or is there a blockage somewhere? I don't want to go banzai :twisted: and end up going pop....:(

whats going on?

superlight3
25-11-2003, 11:47 AM
No need to worry just yet!

There is a strange thing that happens with the standard collector system on Ducati 2-valvers.

All the 2-valve Ducati's I've ever owned blow more gas from the right hand silencer than the left.

Some sort of strange gas-flow-dynamics going on. My ST2 also blew the right hand silencer before the left.

I think one of our club members designs engines and lives down on the south coast, perhaps he knows the scientific answer?

Cheers.

Lee.

nid
25-11-2003, 08:41 PM
thank you mr superlight3.
phew. I can terrorise the neibourhood with impunity.:burnout:

M900Dom
28-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by superlight3
No need to worry just yet!

There is a strange thing that happens with the standard collector system on Ducati 2-valvers.

All the 2-valve Ducati's I've ever owned blow more gas from the right hand silencer than the left.

Some sort of strange gas-flow-dynamics going on. My ST2 also blew the right hand silencer before the left.

I think one of our club members designs engines and lives down on the south coast, perhaps he knows the scientific answer?

Cheers.

Lee.

Hi Lee;)
He does indeed, but doesnt have a scientific answer for it ;)
Although http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/pics/900mcberp1.jpg might help.

Basically the flow from both front and rear pot is Biased to the RH Can, the picture shows it quite clearly, but we dont often get to see it layed out like that
HTH
Dom