PDA

View Full Version : Ducati Only Trackday

slob
03-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Following on from earlier discussions about trackdays this year:

MSV are running a Ducati only trackday at Cadwell Park in July,
(including a 'trackday virgin' friendly novice group)

http://www.clubmsv.com/bike-home/event-details.aspx?productid=1209

dunlop0_1
03-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I believe it is conjunction with the DSC trackday aswell.

Spareparts
03-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Ooh, that looks like a great oppo!

Flip
03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
...it's the day after the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory Park so I don't think I'll get away with that one as well.

simon_g
03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
A fair old trek from London but as it's a Monday could ride up leisurely the day before and take the day off after. There's bike racing at Cadwell on the Sunday too: http://www.cadwellpark.co.uk/calendar/2012/july/auto-66.aspx

utopia
03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
A great big "Yeee" and a monstrous "Haarr".
Cadwell Park eh ?
I reckon if I put £1 in a jar each day, it should just about add up to enough to fund the day.
Mind you, the thought of riding Cadwell has always filled me with a certain nervous trepidation.
Then again, so did any trackday to a certain extent, but last year's Mallory day was so warm and fuzzy that I anticipate my second ever trackday to be similarly easy on the novice.
Cadwell Park....well I never did.....!!
Are we talking the "full" circuit ??
Go on, do my grand slam next year by making it Brands.
Anyway, if we're doing a list, would the next person please add my name to it.....I reckon I'd feel happier if a couple of others put their names down for the novice group before I actually book, so a list might encourage others who are similarly inexperienced and feel the same way.
Cadwell Park....bloody heck ! :biggrin:
My first quid is in the jar.

dunlop0_1
03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
IMO Cadwell Park is the best track in the country.
It would be a crime to miss it.

Flip
03-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I agree entirely.... I'll be racing there (for the first time) in May so I'll get a fix of the lovely Lincolnshire circuit.

And to anyone not sure about doing a track day- Club MSV are really easy going and have some great instructors who will help so don't be afraid to ask...do it!!!

Twentytoo
03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
oh no,my bogey track. I want to. I don't want to........

Phatty
03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Just booked.

Noticed there's a trackday on tomorrow too. Would have gone for the taster session but my helmet doesn't have an ACU sticker as its a french import :-(

crust
03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Just booked.

Noticed there's a trackday on tomorrow too. Would have gone for the taster session but my helmet doesn't have an ACU sticker as its a french import :-(

I've done plenty trackdays and never has anyone looked at my helmet ever. They dont bother to check your bike, so looking at helmets never going to happen.

Not even sure its a trackday requirement to have an ACU sticker.

Phatty
03-03-2012, 10:35 PM
http://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/crash-helmets-and-the-acu-gold-sticker/

too tired to get up early enough to go down or i'd have gone. Just tried my leathers on. They were massive 5 year ago, fit pretty good now! (no, they haven't shrunk)

slob
08-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Just booked in inters

johnsy
08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Slob, you're scaring me, can you just book 1 a month, it doesn't seem as bad then, I'm tempted & I've just booked Snetterton 300

slob
08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't worry Mark, I've run out of annual holiday now. That's my year sorted... any more trackdays will be unpaid leave, I'll try to book one a month!

Phatty
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Only ever done Cadwell in a car, some proper hairy corners! Never done a trackday on the bike yet, but spent a fair few quid on some decent suspension, oil cooler, AP600 brake fluid. Hope it's as much fun as I'm expecting and the S4 behaves itself.

slob
09-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Cadwell rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3UAncJKLz8

J.P
09-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Who's video was that Slob ?

slob
09-03-2012, 09:11 AM
PDL (Paul) with any luck he'll be there, I think he has an SS now

pegboy
09-03-2012, 11:28 AM
That reminds me, Paul had footage of me following him for about 4/5 laps. Wonder if he still has it???

sparkymartyn
11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
cadwell is awesome, did it on my M900, mountain section is a test of manhood lol

do it, you will love it!!!!!

BigOz
20-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Having a bad day at work today.....so I just booked in novice, feeling a bit better now.

Andy

utopia
20-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Aha, another novice booking....excellent.
I haven't actually booked yet, but the pound coins are accumulating quite nicely in the jar so far.
Anyone else from here booked yet...???

Kato
20-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Anyone going up from London want to share Van Hire ???

slob
20-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Quite possibly, planning to go up the (Sunday) night before

Kato
20-04-2012, 02:26 PM
That would work for me Rob

Phatty
20-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I will be going the Sunday night too. Do they let you camp at the track or will i have to park up elsewhere?

slob
20-04-2012, 03:54 PM
you can usually camp, MSV try to sting you for a fiver but that relies on you being available to pay up when the bod wanders round (instead of hiding in the bar)

d8mok
20-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Im thinking of booking this. Never done a bike trackday.

Little scary though

slob
20-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Book in the novices, don't try to push your own limits and you'll learn a great deal about what you and your bike can do under controlled conditions. Most people walk away wondering why they didn't try it years ago.

Fear will keep you safe... panic is the emotion to avoid.

utopia
20-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I'll be there to share your scare...it'll only be my second trackday.
If its anything like as novice-friendly as last year's ukmoc trackday at mallory then you'll be fine.
I guess the track will be a little more demanding (just noticed that it IS the full circuit), but scary is good.

I imagine I'll be camping sunday night too.

What are the noise checks like at cadwell.
I didn't get checked at mallory (overslept and arrived late) but I'm running "race use only" hi-level termis, without baffles.
Do I need to worry about being refused for too noisy....?
I used to have some metal gauze over the outlets which just took the edge off, but they got blasted apart eventually. Maybe I should construct something a little stronger before the day, rather than risk disappointment.
Proper baffles seem a little too much.

utopia
20-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Very wise words there from our leader.

d8mok
20-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Cheers for the advice. Its fairly local to me too. Whens the latest you can book? I didnt see anything on the website.

Whats the noise limit? Will my monster with sc project cans pass? Its louder than termi's.

slob
20-04-2012, 05:24 PM
My 620ie running hi-level unbaffled Termis has been measured at 101Db and 103Db by MSV at Bands and Cadwell, the meter is held 1m to the side of your exhaust outlet and the bike held at 5K RPM for a 620 twin (Probably ~4 - 4.5k FOR A 1000). Run the bike for several minutes before the test, a warmed up engine is much quieter than a cold one.
If you have baffles bring them along just in case.

The latest you can book is just before they run out of novice places, sorry I can't answer that one any better.

simon_g
20-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Got paid today, so got around to booking this. Novice session, I'll be up on Sunday but wondering whether to stay over on Monday night too. It's a long way to go after a full day of riding...

d8mok, I did my first one last year at Mallory and loved every minute. Started off very slow, just wanting to get around and not do anything stupid. Speed and confidence just built with every lap after that. Made a big improvement to my road riding too.

edit: if you're worried about noise, I think you can stop by the circuit on one of the dates before and get noise checked. Cadwell is 105db so pretty high - highest of the MSV circuits anyway.

bex
20-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Having a bad day at work today.....so I just booked in novice, feeling a bit better now.

Andy

Ditto. :thumbsup:

Phatty
20-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I'll bring along my collection of wrist, thumb, back and knee supports just in case anyone hurts themselves but doesn't really want to go home in an ambulance.

Mind you, I'll probably end up wearing most of them myself if recent events are anything to go by...

james239
22-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Out of interest - does anyone bother seeking track insurance?

I've done two trackdays so far (only one since having the monster) but always too scared to take the monster out, so have hired a 600 sportsbike. Have got a third trackday booked in a few weeks, using a hire bike again.

Keen to get the monster out on track but always talk myself out of it (noise worries/security if travelling up night before/finding the track with no sat nav etc etc before getting to...what if I bin it?).

So - do you bother and if so who with? Or will I be fine with sticking some crash bungs on and just taking it easy in the morning?

I get the feeling that on my own bike I'll be scared and slow, but on a hire bike with a low excess (circa £400) I'll happy go flat out without having to worry too much if I write it off.

MrsC_772
22-04-2012, 08:53 PM
I think I got a quote for track insurance, thought it was waayy too expensive and didn't bother when I did my first ever trackday with UKMOC on my 696 last year.

I took it easy, was definitely among the slowest of the novice group but my confidence really built up over the course of the day.

Whether or not you worry about writing the bike off, a little self-preservation instinct would be wise so you don't write yourself off!

bex
23-04-2012, 06:57 PM
SO excited.

dunlop0_1
23-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Booked me and Louise on. :)

Hope the weather is like last year.

Tandy
23-04-2012, 08:12 PM
the current noise limit at Cadwell park is 105Db static test and 92Db on driveby which is measured constantly during the day, if you have baffles then i highly suggest you take them and fit them as it will save any grief in one form or another, our linits at Snetterton have just been lowered to 102Db static which is more compliant with 92Db driveby

any home brewed baffles need to be properly secured with a minimum of a bolt and a locking nut to avoid them coming out on track (which we get very very often)

test is conducted at 45 degree angle at a given revs, distance of 1m and both exhausts will be tested at individually as some bikes split in uneven levels

Cadwell is a daunting track but one of the most rewarding tracks in the country for novice and expert alike

a few other little tips i can offer are dont put valuables under the seat and leave your mobile phone with someone else rather than in your pocket, you would not believe how many iphone4s's i have picked up this year fromthe track in various states of disassembly and if you want to run with a camera of some kind fitted to capture your day then it must be hard mounted ie bolted to a part of the bike, we will let goPro's out on bikes as i know from experience how good the stick mounts are on them, dont try and put a camera on your helmet as it will be removed for you before you go out on track

if anyone has any other questions about cadwell or any other MSV track please feel free to ask :)

Kato
21-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Just booked looking forward to a nice sunny day

Phatty
23-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Getting paranoid about the noise limits now. I have Termi's and an open air box, it's rather loud I've been told.

Where can I get baffles?

slob
23-05-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-YAMAHA-DB-KILLER-TERMIGNONI-SIL-SPARK-48MM-NEW-/310316922618?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item48405476fa

Phatty
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Passed the noise test yesterday at Cadwell without and db killer/baffles fitted.

Test was at 5000rpm, carbon Termis.

Musty
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
I want to do this after watching the video posted earlier in the link, looks like a good circuit for a first trackday. Need to get some leather pants that zip up with my jacket next week, then I'll book into the novices :)

utopia
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Well, I'm reluctant to post this, and things may yet change, but its looking like I'll have to give this a miss......I just haven't accumulated enough in my pound jar.
Gutted doesn't even get close, but I guess its my own fault for being so skint this year.
I may just torture myself by turning up to spectate though.

Kato
07-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Think I have just pursuaded my buddy to join us on his shiny new Panigale, he will be in the novice group which is good for me as I'll get to see the look on his face as I take his bike out in the fast session:mand::flag:

Phatty
10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
YEEE HAAA!

Cannot wait to get back to Cadwell

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/phatvr6/8a8ca6c3.jpg

Phatty
17-06-2012, 09:11 PM
My S4 with and open air box did 101db on the meter at 5k. Well within the limits.

simon_g
18-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Ought to sort out some accommodation for this - any recommendations for B&Bs nearby?

J.P
18-06-2012, 10:58 AM
This place is basic but fine. Stayed there loads of times, and the food's not bad.
http://www.blackhorse-donington.co.uk/

marchesini
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Just phoned so availability is good so assuming my battery has charged when I get home, I'll be tagging along.

Rob, you say you are travelling up on Sunday? When, as I may follow? Also, where are most staying. I'm happy to stay at the track and camp / sleep in the car.

Who else is going?

S

Phatty
03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
I will be taking my van and camping over at the track too. Pastel blue VW Transporter 4x4 with Gulf graphics.

bex
04-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Forecast isn't looking great, hope it changes

slob
04-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Fingers crossed, fortunately Cadwell is in a secret valley with its own microclimate.

Gilps
04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I see it's now open to Ducati owners and Friends, so I'm assuming they're letting other makes in to make up the numbers. Play nicely won't you.

I wish I was going. It's one of my fave circuits.

Phatty
04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Was forecast thunderstorms on the last 2 I've done. All we got was rain overnight the night before and a shower at 4pm, on the other there was a shower at lunch.

Praying it stays dry, I will be gutted if it's wet.

bex
05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Question... does crash helmet need to have the British Motorcycle Sport gold sticker on it or does no one check?

marchesini
05-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Just booked in Inters. Curiously enough, I don't actually like the track but I guess I've got exorcise a few demons.

See you all there. Now for somewhere to stay.

S

J.P
05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Question... does crash helmet need to have the British Motorcycle Sport gold sticker on it or does no one check?

no one checks, just needs to meet the usual standards

Twentytoo
05-07-2012, 02:54 PM

I've not been checked for about 5 years but they did use to do it.....You can get the ACU to issue one if you contact them, meet an inspector and pay about a fiver if it bothers you. Or there's always someone selling them on e-bay.....which makes a mockery of it I guess?

Kato
06-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Hmmm not looking good

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Louth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643553

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=louth&day=3

Phatty
06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
think I'll buy a set of wets....

marchesini
06-07-2012, 08:29 PM
think I'll buy a set of wets....

I think I've got some intermediate / wets in the garage complete with discs but I'm buggered if I know how to put them on. Is it with a couple of Dzus fasteners and thread lock ?

dunlop0_1
08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Weather improving by the hour. Looks like at least a dry morning even afternoon. :biggrin:
I've just taken the wets off the bikes anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ln11

marchesini
08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I still have to load the bike and have nowhere to stay - no surprise there then so need some advice.

To the happy campers at Cadwell, do I just. Make my way to the track and it's open all night or do I need to prebook? Thinking of leaving in a couple of hours and turning up around midnight and sleeping in the car - if I can park the car & trailer up somewhere relatively secure - camp site, Cadwell car park etc.

Anyone know the rules with regards to the camping etc then?

Also, I do have some wets in the garage for the 748. Is it a simple job to swap them over if I bring paddock stands? Just a thought bearing in mind the weather.

Ta for any advice.

Cheers

dunlop0_1
08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
I still have to load the bike and have nowhere to stay - no surprise there then so need some advice.

To the happy campers at Cadwell, do I just. Make my way to the track and it's open all night or do I need to prebook? Thinking of leaving in a couple of hours and turning up around midnight and sleeping in the car - if I can park the car & trailer up somewhere relatively secure - camp site, Cadwell car park etc.

Anyone know the rules with regards to the camping etc then?

Also, I do have some wets in the garage for the 748. Is it a simple job to swap them over if I bring paddock stands? Just a thought bearing in mind the weather.

Ta for any advice.

Cheers

You can turn up anytime but there should be security on the gate and he will probably charge you a tenner to camp (even in the car).
Just make your way to the paddock an pick a spot. :biggrin:
Setting off at 4.30am
Happy days

chris.p
08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Weather improving by the hour. Looks like at least a dry morning even afternoon. :biggrin:
I've just taken the wets off the bikes anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ln11

See you in the morning Neil, we have set up on the bottom row by the scrute hut :-)

Chris.

Phatty
09-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Shame about the weather today. Got a few damp sessions in early one which was a good lesson for me as I've been petrified of the merry hint of a damp road. Wasn't really the best conditions to be scrubbing in brand new tyres and discs which had never seen those pads before.

Sat out the one before lunch as it rained heavier and huge puddles in places. Had a couple of minor slides so came in early.

Afternoon was much better, got a clear run on both and it only rained on the last lap.

Deffo time for me to move up to Inters next visit, only go passed by 2 or 3 all day I think.

Was good to meet slob and a few other monster folk I don't know the names of.

I was the one on the grey/red/black S4 BTW.

Kato
09-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Good to meet you Phatty,

Got back about twenty minutes ago after delivering Slob and Bex back to east London, Black Horse was a great place to stay last night, Slobs weather forecasting needs a bit of fine tuning but had a great day, even managed a few laps of Cadwell in between monsoons, thanks to Chaz and Louigi for keeping me in bolts as I seemed to loosing at least 1 a lap

bex
09-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Crap weather, good company, mad track. Learned a lot and plenty more of that to come I hope. Cheers all

J.P
10-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Glad you guys / Gal had a good time despite the attempts of the weather to put you off.

Fingers crossed it dry for next Monday !

simon_g
10-07-2012, 08:39 AM
I was sat at home on Sunday morning considering canning it with my cold and the weather forecast. Glad I did drag myself out, got four sessions out of it and the one after lunch was great fun. Even made it most of the way home without getting rained on.

Thanks slob/kato/bex for keeping my stuff dry between downpours, and Oz and his mate for letting me tag along on the journey back - they had even further to get home!

Kato
10-07-2012, 04:43 PM
My new GoPro camera seems to work very well, this is a little taster of our day at Cadwell Park on Monday 09 July

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEXjy7BwLpI&feature=youtu.be

marchesini
10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Hah.

You got me there! It looks slightly dryer there than I remember. I could see myself (dayglo orange goldfish), yourself Kato (big scary looking one halfway through) but didn't spot Rob or Bex there?

bex
10-07-2012, 04:52 PM
My new GoPro camera seems to work very well, this is a little taster of our day at Cadwell Park on Monday 09 July

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEXjy7BwLpI&feature=youtu.be

hahahahahaha very good

Capo
10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
At first we we all excited
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/c7d30c57.jpg

And then it rained
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/a992ad82.jpg

Is that the track over there
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/c1cec8b1.jpg

Of course there were the I'm having my moneys worth
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/2c95824f.jpg

marchesini
10-07-2012, 05:18 PM
At first we we all excited
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/1c5b4543.jpg

And then it rained
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/deaa5e3d.jpg

Of course there were the I'm having my moneys worth
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/2c95824f.jpg

Can't see the pics :(

slob
10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
the weather report wasn't great
http://www.thelasturl.net/ukmoc/cadwell20120709/weather.jpg

Simon was up all night getting there, so was quite tired
http://www.thelasturl.net/ukmoc/cadwell20120709/simon_sleep.jpg

he eventually recovered and decided to show off his mechanical prowess
http://www.thelasturl.net/ukmoc/cadwell20120709/simon_tools.jpg

simon_g
10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Official photographer's pics are up: http://www.clubmsvphotography.com/

Photographic proof that there was some air under my front wheel over the Mountain (complete with look of terror in my eyes):

https://www.theimagefile.com/?skin=1962707402&Action=VF&id=8664787602&pcp=81&ppwd=33943vsf

Capo
10-07-2012, 11:54 PM
the weather report wasn't great
Simon was up all night getting there, so was quite tired
http://www.thelasturl.net/ukmoc/cadwell20120709/simon_sleep.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah but he parties hard
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/7b930697.jpg

marchesini
11-07-2012, 12:11 AM
I see a pattern here. Let's all pick on the one with the brightest leathers. Is this because I didn't let you have the window seat on the way back from Italy?

BTW, I don't remember that pic. Was I at a party then? Did I fall a sleeps and miss anything?

Capo
11-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Was originally titled The Colombians and the Mafia reach a deal

marchesini
11-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Was originally titled The Colombians and the Mafia reach a deal

But who was the Mr Big behind the deal? Looks to me like Charles Bronson ...

https://twitter.com/Simon_Parrott/status/217180684249350145/photo/1/large