PDA

View Full Version : Ducati recall 2011/12 1100 evo rear wheels.

nuttynick
03-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Not sure if this has already been posted, but a mate of mine at work mentioned it to me. I'm posting from my phone so don't have a link, but there's lots of stuff online regarding this. It looks like a risk of spokes cracking, not good!

SunEye
03-03-2012, 08:47 AM
I can't find a recall for this listed on the VOSA website.

These are all the Monster recalls between 1 Jan 2010 and 1 March 2012 http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

gary tompkins
03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I'll drop J.P a PM to make sure he's aware of this

J.P
03-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Not seen the recall yet but may well have gone to the previous owner.
I'll follow up, thanks

neilo
03-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Looks like mine is one of the models affected...with the DU6-RR code and not the DU6N-RR code...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64995640/20120303_171032.jpg

nuttynick
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
More info here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Ducati+1100+evo+recall+wheel&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEEQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.motorcycle.com%2F2012%2F03%2 F02%2Fmanufacturers%2Fducati%2Fducati-recalls-monster-1100-evo-for-cracked-spokes%2F&ei=rVpST6KNConR8QPgicnwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHxzzUhaaqHXTp6QueucHFMFp76Nw

Albie
03-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Is this beacause they now make them in china ? Makes me wonder about the 1100 ones throughout the range..... Machesini copies

mickyvee
03-03-2012, 07:07 PM
:( Italian made wheels hardly have a stellar reputation. I can remember the Ducati/Campagnola fiasco back in the late 70's early 80's. And the Radaelli rims on my wife's 900 Thunderbird aren't exactly the last word in durability!

gary tompkins
03-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Is the same wheel used on other models like the 796?

rac3r
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Enkei actually make wheels for F1 cars so their stuff is pretty good

utopia
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Does anyone remember Maxime Berger's rear wheel rim parting company with the hub at donnington wsb last year ?
There's a video if you google...sorry, can't do links.
1098, so dunno whether there's a direct connection (no pun intended).

rac3r
04-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Does anyone remember Maxime Berger's rear wheel rim parting company with the hub at donnington wsb last year ?
There's a video if you google...sorry, can't do links.
1098, so dunno whether there's a direct connection (no pun intended).

Nope, they are carbon I think and made someone else.

Bonzo
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I spoke to Ducati Coventry about this recall and they havent heard anything about it.

If anyone should know they will.

nuttynick
07-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Tell them to search the web, it's all over the US sites, so maybe it's just their bikes affected?

Bonzo
07-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, told them that.

Seems there's no official UK recall.

tricolore
08-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Ducati UK putting official notification out to dealers on the 13th March I've been told, my dealer also knew nothing until I asked him to check !

neilo
08-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Will that include a recall for the fuel lines that are supposed to be cracking internally? We'll see I guess...

Bonzo
08-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Ducati UK putting official notification out to dealers on the 13th March I've been told, my dealer also knew nothing until I asked him to check !

Hmm, thats interesting. Im picking mine up on the 24th.

tricolore
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Will that include a recall for the fuel lines that are supposed to be cracking internally? We'll see I guess...

I asked him that too, his response was 'don't believe everything you read on those forums'.

Perhaps he's right ! I'll wait for the wheels to disintegrate and for it to go up in a ball of flames .....:rolleyes:

neilo
08-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I'll be attending Woods' Ducati technical training next week, so I'll ask them about it seeing as the official notifications are due to go out next week.

Bonzo
08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Keep us posted neilo :thumbsup:

TLMARK
14-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Any more news on this recall yet?

Char
14-03-2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/LATEST+NEWS/Ducati-recalls-Monster-1100-EVO-for-wheel-spoke-fi/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/762868?contextCategoryId=48447

Bonzo
14-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Looks like tricolore was bang on with those dates.

Dave from JHP has just called me to confirm that the wheels are being recalled.

mrober_uk
15-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Just had a call from Woods - my bike is one of those affected and they have ordered a new wheel for it... apparently they could fail when they get to 5/6 yrs old....

Small Clanger
17-03-2012, 03:19 PM
C&J have told me I'll be receiving a letter shortly re. recall. Should save me a few bob if I get a set of tyres at the same time.
Anyone put PR3's on yet?, I'm having a set put on the SV I've just bought for the (delayed) track-day so I may go with those on the Evo too.

neilo
17-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Just had a call from Woods - my bike is one of those affected and they have ordered a new wheel for it... apparently they could fail when they get to 5/6 yrs old....

I haven't been informed as yet, but then I don't intend on keeping the bike for 5-6 years, so I guess I don't need to worry...

Lochy
17-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I haven't been informed as yet, but then I don't intend on keeping the bike for 5-6 years, so I guess I don't need to worry...

so kind of you.....hope the next owner of your bike do not die for that ....:fou:

neilo
17-03-2012, 07:05 PM
so kind of you.....hope the next owner of your bike do not die for that ....:fou:

Looks like somebody lost their sense of humour...

Of course I'd get the recall done...:fou:

If you read through the thread properly you'd realise...

tricolore
17-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Where's the code everyone keeps talking about, nothing around the rim of my wheels ? mine was registered in May 2011 so presume its not affected ??

blue_toaster
17-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know how to find out if a recall was done on their bike? I have a 2004 S4R and found a recall for the rear suspension arm, along with a report saying that of 80+ bikes affected, only 27 had been inspected. I've tried contacting Ducati UK but haven't had a response.

Edited to correct spelling

neilo
18-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Where's the code everyone keeps talking about, nothing around the rim of my wheels ? mine was registered in May 2011 so presume its not affected ??

You've got to take the wheel off to locate it tricolore. It's on the inside facing the hub. I'm sure dealers would be able to say if your bike's affected, but I took my wheel off and checked for myself, so know that mine's affected.

Lochy
19-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Looks like somebody lost their sense of humour...

Of course I'd get the recall done...:fou:

If you read through the thread properly you'd realise...

In that case, my appologies...I did not read all.....

neilo
19-03-2012, 01:22 PM
In that case, my appologies...I did not read all.....

No worries...:drunk:

Bonzo
20-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Just got an email from Dave @ JHP to let me know that he's got my replacement wheel in & will have it fitted ready for my Saturday collection.

Man Im chuffed to bits with the way Ducati Coventry have looked after me. Nothing has been too much trouble for them & it aint like Ive bought a Desmosedici RR.

Best Ducati dealer in the UK? :hail:

tricolore
21-03-2012, 07:36 AM
I wrote an email to Ducati last night and had a reply at 8:00 this morning ( impressive ) they confirmed my bike also affected. Not wrote to me because I am the second owner and their records still show St Neots as the owner. Would like to think that St Neots would have done that for me, or that they would have contacted me because they had a letter from Ducati ? not that its important or anything !!! i'm off to JHP for another wheel change.

What are the other recalls, may as well get the lot done together.......

J.P
21-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Having not bothered to look at my wheels yet, can I see the said wheel code easily from just having a look at the wheel ? or do all the bits have to be stripped off to see the code ?

singletrack
21-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Having not bothered to look at my wheels yet, can I see the said wheel code easily from just having a look at the wheel ? or do all the bits have to be stripped off to see the code ?

If you email Ducati with the chassis number will they not be able to tell you if you need the recall?

neilo
21-03-2012, 09:40 AM

You've got to take the wheel off to locate the code. It's on the inside facing the hub. I'm sure dealers would be able to say if your bike's affected, but I took my wheel off and checked for myself, so I know that mine's affected. See the first page of this thread where I uploaded a picture of the code.

J.P
21-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Just confirmed with garage my wheels are effected. Order now in for some new ones.

knuckledragger
21-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Just got my letter in the post, telling me my bike is on the recall list. It needs to go in for a service anyway, so timing is perfect.

simontt
22-03-2012, 09:14 AM
The dealer where I'll be collecting the bike from this weekend also confirmed that my Feb 12 pre-registerd example is affected (althougth they have not yet received the official letter from Ducati), and that the wheel will not be in stock until early next month, which is fine as I can do the 600 miles service at the same time.

Looking at the VOSA records, there seems to be no recall at all (not even this one) on M1100 evo - can I take it from read that there is no other recall?

neilo
22-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Looking at the VOSA records, there seems to be no recall at all (not even this one) on M1100 evo - can I take it from read that there is no other recall?

There's a lot on the web about cracking fuel lines, but it apparently affects an even smaller number of bikes...

TLMARK
23-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Got my recall notice about the wheel yesterday, they can have a look at the spongy back brake too:p

J.P
23-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Spngy back brake ? you wanna try a new Multistrada, that takes 'spongy' to a whole new level.

Small Clanger
23-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Just had my replacement wheel fitted. Pretty much the same as the old one really. Round, black and spokey.
The Dunlop Sportsmarts are good though. Noticed the difference up front within the first couple of hundred yards and, once I'd done 50/60 miles, I found I was enjoying myself a lot more and getting her keeled over further. Maybe it's the compound, maybe the tread pattern?

Probably all in the head I suppose, I've never had much confidence in the Pirelli's but I've done thousands of miles on Roadsmart shod GS's. I like 'em.:spin:

neilo
23-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Got my letter from Ducati yesterday - called Woods this morning - they had already placed the order for the new wheel which should be arriving in ~10 days.

Just had a new tyre fitted to the existing wheel (it was looking a bit too bald), so I guess Woods will have to swap the tyre over... Hope they're as good as my local tyre place (Buckley Tyres).

mickyvee
24-03-2012, 05:06 PM
;) Mine is affected. New wheel ordered. I had thought that having a new Ducati would be different from having a new Guzzi re: factory recalls. Seems I was wrong.

neilo
24-03-2012, 09:34 PM
;) Mine is affected. New wheel ordered. I had thought that having a new Ducati would be different from having a new Guzzi re: factory recalls. Seems I was wrong.

Factory recalls aren't a bad thing... It shows they care. These wheels can't be that cheap surely?

Bonzo
24-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Bike collected today (with new wheel).

Man, what a bike! Im buzzin :mand:

mickyvee
25-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Factory recalls aren't a bad thing... It shows they care. These wheels can't be that cheap surely?

:worried: According to the good folk over on the American Monster forum, Ducati has these wheels manufactured in China. This information, if true, does not fill me with confidence. I don't have a problem with factory recalls, it's just that I thought Ducati would not be as prone to faulty manufacture as Moto Guzzi. Ducati make far more bikes, in a state of the art factory. Guzzi's are built by blokes in overalls, in a factory that looks like the Ealing Film Studio, transplanted into a cliff face! I've had 4 new Guzzi's and they all had "issues". I just thought that a new Ducati would be immune. Naiive of me, I suppose.

SunEye
25-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe someone who has the wheels can confirm this, but I thought that they were made by the Japanese wheel manufacturer Enkei. I think Ducati have been using Enkei wheels since about 2009. If so, then they are probably made in one of the Enkei factories in Japan, USA or Southeast Asia (Thailand?).

neilo
25-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Perhaps I'm missing the point, but what does it matter if the wheels are made in China? Isn't some of the best state of the art technology made in China these days? The issue is not where it is made, but how it is made...and surely that is down to Ducati, right?

SunEye
25-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I agree that it does not matter where things are made. In this case it would appear to be a design fault (Ducati), not a manufacturing fault (Enkei). So who made the wheels and where is irrelevant.

mickyvee
25-03-2012, 06:56 PM
:worried: So, when I get my new wheel, Chinese or otherwise, will it look like the old one? Or will it have thicker stronger spokes? What is the actual problem with this cracking, and has anybody had any issues? Can I still ride my bike on bumpy roads whilst waiting for my new wheel? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm an inveterate worrier!

SunEye
25-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Taken from http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/03/02/manufacturers/ducati/ducati-recalls-monster-1100-evo-for-cracked-spokes/

"According to documents released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the spokes the rear wheel of some units may crack after intense use or after logging a lot of mileage, estimated by Ducati to be equivalent of six years’ worth of average use.

The problem was first identified in November 2011 during development of a different model which uses a similar wheel design (possibly the Streetfighter 848 which uses a similar 10-spoke 5.50×17 wheel). Ducati examined its Monster 1100 EVO test units and found one with 26,888 miles on it with cracks on two spokes."

I believe that the Enkei wheels Ducati uses for the Evo 1100 are made in Thailand.

neilo
25-03-2012, 08:13 PM
:worried: So, when I get my new wheel, Chinese or otherwise, will it look like the old one? Or will it have thicker stronger spokes? What is the actual problem with this cracking, and has anybody had any issues? Can I still ride my bike on bumpy roads whilst waiting for my new wheel? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm an inveterate worrier!

I am made to believe that the new wheels will look identical to the existing ones...just made of stronger material.

In my opinion, just go ride and don't think about it. I've been riding my bike hard for the last few days and if it was going to collapse it should've already. Besides, I'm not exactly 'light' ;)

Bonzo
26-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Howdy Micky

Ive got a replacement wheel on mine & it looks identical :booze:

mickyvee
26-03-2012, 06:17 PM
;) Hiya Bonzo! Glad to hear that the wheel looks the same. It is one of the Evo's best features!

neilo
29-03-2012, 12:27 PM
New wheel fitted yesterday - it does 'look' the same. However, I might be wrong, but some of the spokes towards the hub do seem to be slightly thicker. You cannot tell the difference though.