PDA

View Full Version : Ciao tutti!

DukeXTC
02-03-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm about to buy myself either an s2r 1000 or s4r.
I had a 93 900 Il Mostro for 13 years which I used and abused (particulrly the latter as I was useless with the spanners and too poor to get her serviced). Despite that I only ever had one serious problem with the cylinder nut snapping and it used to eat cush drives. But it was my first Ducati and I loved it. It's been 3 years since I sold her and I've had a Triumph, a KTM and at the moment I have a 996s. I was working at a Ducati dealers here in Oxford when the 916 was launched and it was love at first sight but there was no way I could afford one at the time. Fast forward 16 years and as I approached my 40th birthday and as it was fairly cheap I treated myself to a 2001 996s with nice loud 50mm pipes and lots of carbon. She had 24k on the clock and now 2 years later she has hit 30k. Apart from the "high" mileage (makes me laugh how people get scared off Ducatis with over 15k, let alone 20k), I've had my fun with her and now she is like a dominatrix: 95% pain, 5% sheer pleasure. And still beautiful to behold. But I ride her less and less coz my joints ache more and more so I'm coming back home to my first love -the Monster.
I'm still a bit torn over whether to go for the purity of the 2v air cooled S2R and its aesthetic charms or cling on the thrill of the 4v engine that I love in my 996. Whatever I choose, I will need to make it my own and I have been inspired by many of the bikes I've seen on here. I also want to finally, after riding bikes for over 30 years, take on maintaining the bike myself. With 2 young kids I don't have that much time to myself to ride and of course we have the winters when the bike can be pulled apart. It'll be a steep learning curve but I know I'll get lots of help and support from my fellow Monsteristi. I will keep you updated with every profanity, every grazed knuckle and every lost bolt.

Zak
02-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Welcome!

What are your plans for the 996?

Z.

DukeXTC
02-03-2012, 09:24 PM
She's gotta go, I'm afraid. Would love to keep her for the odd trackday and short summer blasts and that feeling when I open the garage door but too many demands on my resources for 2 bikes that are essentially the same.

Pedro
02-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Gotta be the S2R 1000, the DS motor is a peach with bit of mild tuning and dyno time. Cheaper to service too

I'm not biased at all, really I'm not.... Says he with a M1000.....!

Welcome btw

Grumpy
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Gotta be the S2R 1000, the DS motor is a peach with bit of mild tuning and dyno time. Cheaper to service too

I'm not biased at all, really I'm not.... Says he with a M1000.....!

Welcome btw

Don't listen to Pedro....he's been bewitched!!
Water cooled is the way to go, join the dark side:mand:!!

Pedro
03-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Don't listen to Pedro....he's been bewitched!!
Water cooled is the way to go, join the dark side:mand:!!

Ahh by why go for the complexity of a 4 valve when my 1000 makes more bhp and torque than an S4?

2 valve rocks, end of!

:mand:

Zak
03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
She's gotta go, I'm afraid. Would love to keep her for the odd trackday and short summer blasts and that feeling when I open the garage door but too many demands on my resources for 2 bikes that are essentially the same.

Well get it advertised up here, I miss my 996 and am too easily tempted to venture into another.....

Damn you 996 and your sultry lines!

DukeXTC
03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
It has to have a SSSA and be gutsy enough to keep me entertained in all riding scenarios. I defo prefer the look of the s2r1k but they're a b'stard to find and go for silly money. S4r's a cheaper by some margin and have got the engine, but are gonna be harder & dearer to look after and learn about. Wish I could buy one of each, ride them both back to back for a month and then sell the one I don't want without losing any money. Better start doing the lottery.

DukeXTC
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Well get it advertised up here, I miss my 996 and am too easily tempted to venture into another.....

Damn you 996 and your sultry lines!

She's having her belts done at the mo and then will be advertised straight after. I know I will miss her like mad so will have to console myself with a new bike and possibly lots of beer.

Lima071
03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Welcome, steveooo has a s2r ds that he might wish to sell, see other posts.

Grumpy
03-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Ahh by why go for the complexity of a 4 valve when my 1000 makes more bhp and torque than an S4?

2 valve rocks, end of!

:mand:

Handbags at dawn sir!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Mr.Number
03-03-2012, 10:05 PM
S2R1000, bought with 4,500 now showing 28000 ish, best mileage iv covered on a bike and iv had a few. I remember being in the same boat when buying, S2R or the S4 range and someone responded recommending the DS motor and how right he was ! This bike is that good, that for as long as I last then i dont need another bike. My bike comfortably ranges over 140mph, theres no necessity for that speed anyway so its more than enough for me. Thoroughly recommended. Just to throw in an opinion about tyres with this bike. Iv run Dunlops Michelins, a BT016 and now a BT023. My view is that the best tyres you can have for this bike are Bridgestone 023's. These will support you in the wet all day long and most take it easy in those conditions anyway, so you wont push the tyre, but in the dry they are nothing other than superb. They have the right balance between warm up time and durability. The 016 warms up quicker and also has great grip and feels quicker in the turn, but due to the compound and as a consequence, durability falls against the 023. Thought id throw that in because iv noticed significant differences with the way the bike behaves with each tyre and I get a lot more from the bike on the 023.

Let us know what you buy

Pedro
04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Michelin 2CTs work very well on my 1000, wouldn't use anything else

As for you Grumpy and your handbags, you'll never drum up much trade swing it about unless it's really dark!!

:chuckle::chuckle:

J.P
04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the club and I'm sure you'll find the bike you're after.

I'm very soon going to be selling my S4R 2007 998cc. 20,300 miles. More than happy to talk about it , or if you need any advice on the newer S4R model's. I've done a lot to it.

Grumpy
04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
As for you Grumpy and your handbags, you'll never drum up much trade swing it about unless it's really dark!!

Your only jealous that I would drum up more trade!!:mand::mand::mand:

Pedro
04-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Your only jealous that I would drum up more trade!!:mand::mand::mand:

At least then you could afford a proper air cooled monster then!

Grumpy
04-03-2012, 08:46 PM
At least then you could afford a proper air cooled monster then!

Naa, i'd get a S4Rs!! :biggrin::biggrin: