PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Clip on's

npotts
24-11-2003, 12:55 PM
I have just purchased a set of Clip on's from Spareshack after some great feedback from some of the guys off this site about them (Thanks guys - you know who you are)....

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about technique when fitting these things? Any problems to look out for, etc.....

How tight are you supposed to tighten the bolts on the clip on's for example??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Nick

gjams
24-11-2003, 01:04 PM
I was thinking of fitting some on my M600. The guys at DLS suggested that the handling might be a bit weird with those on. Would please let us know how it goes after you fitted them?

Thanks gus

A Yerbury
24-11-2003, 01:05 PM
remove instrument panel for ease of wire routing etc, be careful not to loosen the fluid/banjo/union bolts and thats about it. how tight? as tight as you can. the indictor arms may get in the way, I removed mine.

all common sense stuff really.
alex

gary tompkins
24-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Blu's just stuck a set on his bike (Redline) and had a few problems with cables and pipes being a bit short. Other than that be careful that you leave enough clearance between the tank and bars on full lock, and check that everythings stays done up tight after your initial test ride.

Which bars did you go for in the end?

npotts
24-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys....
In the end I bought the clip on's as shown in the sponsor section of this site (Spareshacks) own. They arrived as usual in no time at all, and I got the optional billet handlebar clamp to place over the existing handlebar camps for appearance.

One question - When you say 'Indicator Arms' what exactly do you mean? Sorry for lack of technical knowledge here!!!

Eug
24-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Bear in mind the 2001-onward models don't have indicator arms since the indicators are mounted directly onto the headlight bracket.

But this is what they look like:

npotts
24-11-2003, 02:49 PM
arhh Im with you!! Thanks for that Eug.....
My bike is a 2002 model which may be the reason why I hadnt heard of them before.....
Thanks for the advice. I guess it saves me removing them now I know they changed after 2001.....

gary tompkins
24-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Nick,
Any chance you could post a picture of the new bars when they are fitted?

npotts
25-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Yeah cause no problem. I have booked friday off from work so I can give the bike a good clean and fit the clip on's. I will get some photo's and post them over the weekend or when I get back to work on Monday.

Nick

npotts
01-12-2003, 09:04 AM
Alright guys
Sorry no picture of the clip on's. I had major difficulties fitting them on due to the fork legs having to be lifted up through the triple clamp. Basically l may have to abandon fitting them as l am replacing the bike next march for something bigger.....
Lets hope that Stuart at Spareshack will take them back!!
Thanks for all your advice though guys - much appreciated!!

gary tompkins
01-12-2003, 07:04 PM
Nick,

Blu had to drop his triple clamps down the legs too. Seems like the 620 has less of the legs standing proud of the top yoke than on other models, so you don't have anything to attach the clip ons to. Blu managed to fit his ok & thinks dropping the yokes by 20mm or so has improved the handling on his bike.

My own 900ie has around 20-25mm of the leg visable above the top yoke so fitting clip ons shouldn't be a problem. Hope you manage to get them on ok in the end, but if you change your mind and want to flog them let me know - especially if they are Redlines ;)

Blufoot
01-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Sorry ive been a bit quiet - busy at work, but everything gary said is accurate.

I did have to drop them down (my 620 was supplied with the clamp almost flush to the top of the forks!) and yes i do think its improved the handling.

Just need to lengthen that soddin fast idle cable now, so i dont have to keep on autorevving on left handers!!

But dropping the clamp down took all of 20 - 30 seconds, with help from another human (i can imagine its difficult alone).

stevie
01-12-2003, 08:55 PM
npotts have sent you pm
steve

npotts
02-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Cheers for all your help guys. In the end I sent them back to Spareshack for a refund. I was kinda looking forward to getting them fitted but have a serious lack of tools and knowledge!!
I am upgrading my bike next March too, and with the Winter forcing the bike to be off the road for most of the time between now and then I felt it wasnt worth the hassle. In the end I probabley would have had to remove them anyway when I sell it in March, as everyone these days seems to want bikes in original states.....

Maybe I will get some on me next larger monster!!

Stevie - I have sent you a PM mate....