PDA

View Full Version : 750ss reluctant to start

jerry
20-02-2012, 11:40 AM
OK

Some days she fires up fine i cold weather but other days she refuses to start???
she turns over perfectly , battery and starter are fine but the coughs and sometimes backfires , then floods ,

float bowl height is fine and carbs are good , tried NGK and champion plugs , both makes same issue ,

seems the bike does not like cold weather .

My M750 with same setup starts every time.
Edit/Delete Message

Sirc
20-02-2012, 12:54 PM
When you say it's set up the same as your Monster I guess it's the subtle differences remaining that are doing it - are your idle mixture screws opened up slightly more than the Monster? This played havoc with my 900 in the past during cold weather. Rule of thumb is around 2 and a half turns out. Also are they the same re: main jets and needles? sometimes a Dynojet set up makes starting more dramatic as it's richer from the start.Nothing else comes to mind right now apart from condition (size) of battery and starter leads, pick-up condition and gap plus timing. Finally, your starting procedure - don't know about you but I find the best combo is full choke and don't touch the throttle even if it takes 3 prods.

Nottsbiker
20-02-2012, 03:27 PM
No help but my Tuono did the same thing this morning and had to be left behind - treated her to new plugs, oil, filter and uprated battery so hoping that this improves things. On the Tuono if the engine doesnt catch quite quickly I find that the battery just doesnt have the oomph to keep it spinning at a speed necesary to actually get it to fire up fully.

Bloody wop tractors! ;)

jerry
20-02-2012, 05:42 PM
problem solved , the monster has Iridium plugs so i swapped them to the 750ss and hey ho she fired up straight away no problem and settlled to a perfect tickover , went for a nice ride sweet.

tried the old NGKs and champions in the Monster and she started but not so well so threw the old plugs away and went out and bought some more Iridiums .....all perfect as it should be .

gary tompkins
21-02-2012, 11:40 AM
I've been running iridium plugs for years. Not cheap but definately improve starting and seem to last for ages. I wouldn't go back to ordinary plugs now.. even use them in the Buell too.

Nottsbiker
21-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Got s set commin for the Tuono so I'm hoping to get the same kind of reliability / longevity out of them as well.

utopia
21-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Well, my 750 always starts easily, as long as its on full left lock to force the broken starter button wire into contact......:rolleyes: It does have a brand new battery though.
However, that sounds like a good recommendation for iridium plugs. I've never used them, but they are now on my list for next time they need changing.
Might even be the cure for my sometimes ill-starting dominator too.