PDA

View Full Version : Throttle stuck wide open with no warning!

Rally
19-02-2012, 04:33 PM
i have just got back from my 1st ride out this year on the 1100S. It was a bit chilly but dry and pleasant. I had done 30+ miles when with no warning what so ever, the throttle stuck wide open as I passed a couple of cars and headed into an off camber corner. As I got to it I had to test the new Monoblock brakes to the full as I didn't at first realise why it wouldn't slow down. they work well, skidding at a figure I had best not write!

I have checked the throttle cable routing which looks okay and hasn't been messed with over winter at all, it seems to work fine when turned off as well. Maybe it was a frozen cable which needs lubricating?

Is it possible to get what is normally carb icing on a fuel injected bike? :confused:

Twentytoo
19-02-2012, 04:35 PM
i have just got back from my 1st ride out this year on the 1100S. It was a bit chilly but dry and pleasant. I had done 30+ miles when with no warning what so ever, the throttle stuck wide open as I passed a couple of cars and headed into an off camber corner. As I got to it I had to test the new Monoblock brakes to the full as I didn't at first realise why it wouldn't slow down. they work well, skidding at a figure I had best not write!

I have checked the throttle cable routing which looks okay and hasn't been messed with over winter at all, it seems to work fine when turned off as well. Maybe it was a frozen cable which needs lubricating?

Is it possible to get what is normally carb icing on a fuel injected bike? :confused:

Gulp.....nasty. As for Carb icing my PPL experience tells me no. carb icing is not associated with FI....

RickyX
19-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Sounds scary!

If it was a frozen cable it would have happened before the 30+ miles I expect.

The 9*6 series had an issue where the bolts holding the tank spigot on could come undone and get lodged in the throttle butterfly leading to open throttle syndrome. Is there any way that anything like that could occur with the M1100?

Hope you get to the bottom of it as I wouldn't want it happening to me...or anybody else.

R

Capo
19-02-2012, 04:47 PM
No Venturi = No Bernoulli = No Ice

blue_toaster
19-02-2012, 05:03 PM
That's scary. If you do find out what caused it I'd be very interested to know, and check it won't happy to me if I can.

I've used carburated bikes in winter for years, but never if there was a risk of freezing air after someone was killed locally on a Kwak when the throttle stuck wide open a few years ago. I thought I was safe on my injected Monster.

uksurfer
19-02-2012, 05:05 PM
it happened to my mate once, years ago when we were doing a bit of off roading on a 250, he went off the track , over a berm and through a fence, how i laughed

not sure what your problem was Al, but i would imagine the right hand had something to do with it?

Hope it doesnt happen again, glad your ok though to take my luggage down to WDW :woot:

Char
19-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Lets hope it wasnt the Hilltop Curse

jimbo696
19-02-2012, 05:21 PM
I have never heard of icing on a FI bike, it is usually on carb bikes. Anyway that shouldn't make the throttle stick open. It must be a sticking connection somewhere. On other Monsters it has happened, when the throttle butterfly on the off side of the bike jams if not greased properly...
I assume you dipped the clutch but had no engine braking in to the corner?? Glad you survived it...

Nickj
19-02-2012, 05:24 PM
A bit too warm for the cable to be freezing today I'd have thought, maybe in the wind flow cold enough to stiffen up a blob of grease or similar on the cable somewhere?

I had a part throttle problem the other week but only when it was a few degrees below, thought it might be water in the cables but after a good blow through with lube they were still the same.
Gave the exposed cable ends a clean and it went away.

revver
19-02-2012, 05:36 PM
scary! i bet that left a pinch mark in the seat. glad you are o.k. though.

He11cat
19-02-2012, 05:52 PM
My throttle had a similar problem it would get stuck screaming it nuts off and I had to bomb through some red lights :(

The throttle was taken apart cable replaced again got stuck .
The White bit (butterfly?) bit was looked and and checked for any rough bits or notches and it appeared out.

In the end took it to be looked at and again it was all taken apart everything was ok and springy again .

Near home it did it again .. Scary as hell.
Parked up and it freed up again!!!

Had Rac out to get me home as well as it was to iffy to ride.
When Rac arrived again it freed up!! Got 5 miles down road and it stuck again:(

In the end I had no choice but to replace throttle body and cable.
Never found out the cause sorry but touch wood never happened again!

He11cat
19-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Bloody phone auto correct changes word ffs!!

J.P
19-02-2012, 05:54 PM
sticky cable, happened to me once. Shocking.

bex
19-02-2012, 06:19 PM
This happened to me before but only when I've been faffing around with cables or bar ends etc and not left enough slack for the throttle. And usually noticed it right away on starting the bike, or on bends once I've gone out and the cable has been too tight etc after fitting clip ons at first and everything needing more adjusting.

Scary stuff though, glad you made round the bend!

uksurfer
19-02-2012, 06:23 PM
This happened to me before but only when I've been faffing around with cables or bar ends etc and not left enough slack for the throttle. And usually noticed it right away on starting the bike, or on bends once I've gone out and the cable has been too tight etc after fitting clip ons at first and everything needing more adjusting.

Scary stuff though, glad you made round the bend!

that would make sense, especially as just done your brakes?

bex
19-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Could do but presumably the previous 30 miles had some bends! Sticky cable maybe more likely, since I guess you would've noticed anything else as soon as it was fired up?

Nonnie
19-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Happened to me a couple of times but in very heavy rain. Somebody mentioned something about a throttle butterfly thing, don't know if that's what it's called but if the bike was stood still you would see this thing move if you twisted the throttle. It would be on the right hand side of the bikes body. I would photo the bit I mean but I've done my back in and am not going anywhere.

Anyhow, slob fixed it for me by spraying wd40 on that bit that I don't know what it's called and can't show you...

Hope this helps?

Funkatronic
19-02-2012, 07:24 PM
if the cable has been kinked at an point, maybe its frayed a little and catching on the sheath?

just an idea

Pedro
19-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Does the 1100 not have a closing cable as well?

The other possible I've suffered - too much slack in the cable and the outer sheath dropped out of the recess it sits in normally and stuck the throttle open.

Next time, hit the kill switch and pull the clutch in!

the_adam
19-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I had this sort of trouble twice last winter, it wouldn't stick until it was doing high enough revs.

First time around the cause seemed to be salt+grit stuck in the larger spring on the outside of the throttle. Didn't look like there was anything in there until I sprayed a load of wd40 through, that shifted quite a bit. The 2nd time round (more likely if you don't ride in winter) the cable had slipped out of its runner at the bar end. Probably not helped by non-standard bars. It's worth checking, I thought I'd put mine back properly but ended up with a snapped cable a week or so later! :(

Dukedesmo
19-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Not going to be applicable in this case, but be careful of running much oil down the throttle cable.

I had a stiff throttle cable on a bike some years back and so did just this but as the carb on this bike had the cable directly into the top of the body, the oil ran through it and filled the carb up, blocking it... :o

Nottsbiker
19-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Just a thought, could it have gotten trapped around something when turning the bars for example?

My first thought when I read the title was carb icing but its FI so no ideas there from me.

Had a hilarious incident many years ago on a Yamaha Bi-Wizz after I got off and it bounced back upright from its side stand......flew down the road, hit the opposite curb (T junction) and launched itself up in the air and hit someones garden hedge.

NewMon
19-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Yes. Throttle stuck wide open. It's a Ducati. They all do that. Honest Officer.

Rally
19-02-2012, 09:26 PM
After 2 hours next to the radiator in the garage, it was running perfectly so I went back out. Oh yes, it stuck again on my way through town. This time I carried on by using the brakes to slow it and the kill switch when it got too fast. If I brake alot to the point of nearly stalling it, the revs drop, as soon as I raise them, they stick again.

It doesn't have a return cable on it and the one has now been WD40'd and is seemingly running free. This is a real puzzle? its like the electronics are in control!

Time to get the RS out! :D

samieb
19-02-2012, 10:24 PM
i'd take the cable out of the throttle body on the bar and check its seated properly. I notice that you've checked the cable isn't fould, but is it taught anywhere or catching when your in mid turn maybe?

Could be that you may have made some changes with its routing when you fitted the new brake lines Alun.

Rally
19-02-2012, 10:59 PM
i'd take the cable out of the throttle body on the bar and check its seated properly. I notice that you've checked the cable isn't fould, but is it taught anywhere or catching when your in mid turn maybe?

Could be that you may have made some changes with its routing when you fitted the new brake lines Alun.

That was initial thought Sam, although I didn't move them at all. It makes no difference where the bars are pointing. I think it has to be the engine end playing up. All the obvious bits now checked.

LVC
19-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Gremlins ... simples

http://funkyplaygrounddesigns.com/forums/images/smilies/panicsmiley.gif

bex
20-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Don't you mean meerkats? :biggrin:

uksurfer
20-02-2012, 06:26 AM
is it your fast idle cutting in again or something similar?

Gordon H
20-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Full throttle? Must try that sometime........

gary tompkins
20-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Alun,

Check the pully mechanism on the throttle bodies isn't binding. Could be grit/crud in there somewhwere or a bit of corrosion. I would take both cables off and oil them properly (not WD40), as well as checking the throttle assembly itself for any sticking.

Bit of a long shot... but could a faulty TPS cause problems like this by tricking the ECU into thinking the throttle isn't in the correct position? I would be very wary of riding the bike until the problem is identified and fixed.

The only time this happened to me was on my M600. The throttle stuck wide open exiting a motorway due to carburettor icing. I had to pull clutch/hit kill switch before nearly running out of slip road. Bit of a laxative moment to say the least :on:

J.P
20-02-2012, 08:34 AM
When it happened on mine Rosso Corse said it was crud around the throttle body. They cleaned it up and it was never a problem again.

neilo
20-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm quite surprised at the number of people who've experienced this same (or similar) issue... Are we noticing a trend here? Is it a common fault on the Monster (carb or FI models)?

Toyota got into a lot of trouble for a similar thing... This is obviously a major safety issue.

My bike doesn't have a throttle return cable. I always make sure my throttle cable is well oiled, and that the throttle return spring is clean/lubricated too, but if the fault lies with the ECU or any of the 'internal' electronics on the bike...that's obviously not something I can help avoid...

I would not ride the bike until I was 100% sure the issue was fixed... Only one thing worse than a bike that doesn't go...it's one that doesn't stop going...:eek:

Rally
20-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Alun, I would be very wary of riding the bike until the problem is identified and fixed.

I need to get the seat out of my backside first! :chuckle:

It will have a full strip before it goes out again, thats for sure. :thumbsup:

rollo22
20-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Just a thought do you use high pressure water when cleaning the offending beastie could have washed the lube out of cable cam area and throttle body linkages.

Sirc
20-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Pedro beat me to it, at least with the 'closing' cable still connected (I know a lot of people remove this) you have a chance of physically closing the throttle by hand if you can think quick enough - never happened to me so I don't know that i would. It does sound like light corrosion or maybe a foreign body at the butterfly end. I know someone who had a partially melted aftermarket JHP air filter drip debris onto the top of one of his inlet butterfies (996). Only found out it had even caught fire because the offending melted foam eventually separated from where it fell (and stuck) partially blocking the throttle open.

Rally
20-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Just a thought do you use high pressure water when cleaning the offending beastie could have washed the lube out of cable cam area and throttle body linkages.

Never Duncan, wouldn't dream of getting my bikes wet! :D

Blufoot
21-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Alun,

Check the pully mechanism on the throttle bodies isn't binding. Could be grit/crud in there somewhwere or a bit of corrosion. I would take both cables off and oil them properly (not WD40), as well as checking the throttle assembly itself for any sticking.

Bit of a long shot... but could a faulty TPS cause problems like this by tricking the ECU into thinking the throttle isn't in the correct position? I would be very wary of riding the bike until the problem is identified and fixed.

The only time this happened to me was on my M600. The throttle stuck wide open exiting a motorway due to carburettor icing. I had to pull clutch/hit kill switch before nearly running out of slip road. Bit of a laxative moment to say the least :on:

Yes my TPS failed and the revs went narnas, all over the place. With the 749 they don't sell the TPS separately so had to buy throttle body from eBay and nick it from there.

gary tompkins
21-02-2012, 11:03 AM
When it happened on mine Rosso Corse said it was crud around the throttle body. They cleaned it up and it was never a problem again.

What they actually said was it's "sh#t around the throttle bodies"

I still can't fathom how you managed to get your arse that close to the bike :scratch:

You Lewisham village folk are a bit weird :freak: