PDA

View Full Version : Single Sider

mholc123
13-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Has anyone out there fitted a single sided swing arm to an older original monster, and if so how hard is it - bearing in mind its a monster with the old loop suspension.

rac3r
13-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Albie has I think and Panther. PM them or have a search on the forum :thumbsup:

mholc123
13-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Cheers I'll have a look

Kato
13-02-2012, 08:08 PM
It is of course possible, but you are looking at some serious frame modification doing it with hoop style suspension, would need to reposition the suspension rocker, Albies project was a later bike, much easier conversion.

Funkatronic
14-02-2012, 01:48 AM
have a complete single sider from an s2r1000 inc rear shock, hub, rear disc, caliper ad hose and a rear sprocket for sale if your interetsed

uksurfer
14-02-2012, 05:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1MsZbXi-8

mholc123
14-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the offer but I really need to know that it will fit before I start collecting the bits and pieces, any done this to one of the older monsters, or will a 916 rear fit? Has anyone got a picture of where the s4r linkage fits, I dont mind getting a bit of fabrication done if necessary.

Capo
14-02-2012, 09:44 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/68661403.jpg

chris yeatman
14-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Stuart 42 has done a 916 single swinger with his m750, send him a pm, not seen him post for sometime tho.

mholc123
14-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Cheers will do

Kato
15-02-2012, 06:39 AM
If you really wont to do it buy a later frame and swap all your parts onto it.............it really is not a good plan to try this with a hoop style rear as nothing is a direct fit, if you insist on going this root buy yourself a right off late frame chop it up and graft the sections you need onto your old monster.

pooh
15-02-2012, 06:58 AM
I beleive fitting a single sider requires the engine casings to be machined as the pivot point on them is narrower than standard this can be done with the engine in one piece but i did mine with the engine cases seperated which made the machining easier. As far as cutting the frame and sticking the back end of another bike on this is not as easy as people think, take that from somebody who has done it. Either way you will need access to a machine shop and a good welder to get it right.

Ian

Panther
15-02-2012, 08:01 AM
My bike was is also from the later 'injection' model (no hooped suspension)

There is a bike from over the pond that might have a design you can use, althought it's actually an injection too.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/featured/2008jan/featured0108.html

http://www.ducatimonster.org/featured/2008jan/DSC04155_small.jpg

http://www.ducatimonster.org/featured/2008jan/DSCN3088-5.jpg

p.s I think this is one of my favourite looking monsters ever!

nuttynick
15-02-2012, 08:46 AM
I want that black and gold Monster!! Gorgeous!

Pomp1
15-02-2012, 04:30 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/68661403.jpg

Stewart I know you want to save weight but removing chain, sprocket and exhaust is kinda of cheating..:D

crust
15-02-2012, 07:49 PM
AK did it when he built his Tricolore.

Should be a long thread about it if you search.

Albie
15-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I dont see much of a problem with an sr swingrm on hooped unit. Against the 916 one which you have to mahine the engine and weld the frame. I would tend to look at the sr one first.

First source ALL the swingarm components. inc Hub, disc, caliper mount, shock. brake line, rear wheel.pivot bolt which is longer and runs optional footrests etc

The exhaust also routes differently so you will need headers to suit engine type and system to which you wish to run.

You may well be able to run stock footrests with pillion if not you will have to weld mounts for rear sr gear.

Other than that its relatively easy but no doubt the top shock mount may need repositioning or adapting.

Take a look at a s2r and visually compare the rear shock mount/ pivot

Albie
15-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I beleive fitting a single sider requires the engine casings to be machined as the pivot point on them is narrower than standard this can be done with the engine in one piece but i did mine with the engine cases seperated which made the machining easier. As far as cutting the frame and sticking the back end of another bike on this is not as easy as people think, take that from somebody who has done it. Either way you will need access to a machine shop and a good welder to get it right.

Ian

Only the 916/748 sider machining of crank case work needed as the bearings run in the swingarm but the monster engine runs crankcase bearings.

Its not cheap but its worth the effort in pride. You buy bits and sell yours to pay for them but you do end up repainting the frame and usually everything.

Think about it hard or sell and buy an SR. Its very personal so whatever you do you will enjoy it.

pooh
15-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Albie
I knew one of the single siders needed engine cases machining but was not sure which as I fitted the 999 swingarm which also required the casings machining but I also chopped the frame to get the pivot in the right place. Again not a simple task unless you have the access to the machinery required.

I agree if you want a single siderweigh up the costs and concider an S2R

Ian

Capo
16-02-2012, 12:02 AM
996 Swing arms are shorter than the S*R items, even the racing 'long' magnesium one is 15mm shorter. This reduces the wheel base introducing effects on handling

mholc123
17-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the help Guys, I am thinking at the moment I will hang on and see how the money pans out, I wasn't thinking of doing any modding until next winter in any case, as I would like to ride the Bike a lot more this summer, which hopefully will be a better summer than last year.

Reaperman
17-02-2012, 01:02 PM
You've got me thinking of doing this to my M600. But I'm looking into VFR800 swingers which seem to be a dime a dozen.

Albie
17-02-2012, 06:55 PM
The triumph ones are very popular for customisation too.

gary tompkins
17-02-2012, 11:53 PM
If it's a PITA to install a 916 or S2R swinger into a hoop monster frame, just how easy do you think it'll be to attempt the same using Honda or Triumph parts? Bear in mind the Ducati arm mounts off the back of the engine... the others suggested are frame mounted.

Albie
I knew one of the single siders needed engine cases machining but was not sure which as I fitted the 999 swingarm which also required the casings machining but I also chopped the frame to get the pivot in the right place. Again not a simple task unless you have the access to the machinery required.

I agree if you want a single siderweigh up the costs and concider an S2R
Ian

Would be my suggestion as well - better to buy a single side chassis to start with unless...

A/ you like spending a lot of time in the garage

B/ have got money to burn

pooh
23-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Gary
in my case nearly three years partly due to family and finance but still a massive job

Ian

JMo
23-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Yep, the equation goes something like this:

time x money = anything will fit.

The problem is both time and money are constantly variable, and inevitably larger numbers than you first thought of...

I doubt you could convert even the post '01 chassis to single sider for less than £1000 (and that is before you start messing with the exhaust) - I know that is what it cost me, and I think Albie probably paid the same - never mind all the other mods he did to his S4-to-S4R conversion...

I used a Febur kit that I got of ebay - it cost me £700, but that included everything except the wheel and tyre (another £250 ish), fitted around the stock exhaust headers, and bolted on in about 3 hours...

If you don't want to mess around welding and painting (and stripping half if not the whole bike to bits), I'd look out for a Febur kit for the earlier bikes - there have been a handful of photos of bikes fitted wiht them posted on here in the dim and distant past...

However, you'll most likely find a Febur kit on the shelf next to the box of Hen's teeth.

As others have suggested, realistically, when you can get a nice tidy S2R for under £3K these days, I'd just go that route and save a lot of grief...?

Jx

Albie
23-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Yep, the equation goes something like this:

time x money = anything will fit.

The problem is both time and money are constantly variable, and inevitably larger numbers than you first thought of...

I doubt you could convert even the post '01 chassis to single sider for less than £1000 (and that is before you start messing with the exhaust) - I know that is what it cost me, and I think Albie probably paid the same - never mind all the other mods he did to his S4-to-S4R conversion...

I used a Febur kit that I got of ebay - it cost me £700, but that included everything except the wheel and tyre (another £250 ish), fitted around the stock exhaust headers, and bolted on in about 3 hours...

If you don't want to mess around welding and painting (and stripping half if not the whole bike to bits), I'd look out for a Febur kit for the earlier bikes - there have been a handful of photos of bikes fitted wiht them posted on here in the dim and distant past...

However, you'll most likely find a Febur kit on the shelf next to the box of Hen's teeth.

As others have suggested, realistically, when you can get a nice tidy S2R for under £3K these days, I'd just go that route and save a lot of grief...?

Jx

It cost me about £1200 I reckon. But thats because I went the whole hog of re vamping frame and wheels etc and then the colour change. £450
I swapped the swingarm etc for mine and a wheel.
Purchased a new rear for £140
New tyre £130
Exhaust sold termis for £300 and bought stacked for £500 inc headers
Sold rear shock £80 bought almost new 10 miler for £100
Engine paint around £50
Fat bars and top yoke £65
S2R rear sets footrests and pillions £50.

Time and labour free and great fun had tbh.