PDA

View Full Version : 3M Vinyl carbon

Mr.Number
13-02-2012, 11:33 AM
......Anyone used and applied this to any bike part ?

Considered a set of carbon fibre belt covers recently, then looked into the quality and price of the vinyl sheets. Took the belt covers off, measured and wouldnt need that much. Big saving to be made considering im not racing the bike and are not weight anal !

If anyone has, was it easy to apply or did you have a mare !!

PDS
13-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I think Madgadget might be the person to answer this as i have a feeling he covered a m600 tank in something similar, the only issue i would of thought would be from heat and it lifting off, i have tried applying vinyl wrap before and it was easier than i expected but having a second person is very helpful.

J.P
13-02-2012, 04:46 PM
bit of fairy liquid in some water to help it on and a scalpel or sharp knife to cut the excess off and away you go. Seems like an easy thing to do and will probably look fine unless you look too closely. and if it does peel after a while they just do it again & think of all the money you saved not buying the real thing.

LVC
13-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Yes great stuff - I've wrapped the Z in it and love it (see the photo in my signature below).

It's not supposed to be "fake" carbon, it is a wrap and as such already unique. Complex curves are a pain but patience and heat will give you the desired result. Don't pull/stretch the vinyl too much as it can distort the weave. Big advantage is if you mess up you can take it off re-heat and start again (or bin it ..lol).

Hair drier, clean environment, plenty of time and lightly soaped water will help - have fun and post some piccies.

Reaperman
13-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I've had some cut by a local print company and applied it to my fuel tank I even had a go at wrapping my seat cowl with poor results. But with enough excess to get a different print company to wrap the cowl its turned out brilliantly.

The vinyl is easy to use but as already stated wrapping complex shapes is difficult. Solid objects are better than flexible plastic parts.

I got a huge sheet for £30 of replica vinyl not 3M. Good stuff, if I could do it again I'd spend the extra and get actual 3M.

Mr.Number
13-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Will give it a go, think it will be worth while if i can get it right.

Its the 3M stuff ive been looking at, will go with this i think

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320526468979?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2213wt_1037

The rounded edges will be tricky and the shell around the thread bolts but you can only try.

LVC did you use the squeegy thats used on youtube. The seller of the above link stated a strong sponge is better.