PDA

View Full Version : Injectors - to clean or not to clean

griffs
13-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I am proceeding with the overhaul of my newly acquired 2005 620 dark.

As mentioned on previous posts, the bike wouldn't fire and I diagnosed a siezed up fuel pump. The bike stood for 5 years with fuel in tank and no additives. New pump has arrived including both filters.

Time in on my hands as my forks have been sent for re-chroming so I have another 3 weeks to work on the bike.

My question is... Is it worth removing the air filter housing and removing the injectors. My only reason would be to clean them. I don't even know if they need cleaning. Is there some way I could test in situ to see if they are OK. I am not putting my tank onto the bike until last possible moment and I am waiting for the fuel cap to harden after painting so I really don't want to fuel it up.

I do have some syringes and wondered if I could somehow use these to prime lines and check.

If it is no big deal to remove the injectors I can do that.

Any advice please?

Picture of the fantastic stand I bought.15937

Thanks

Martin C
16-02-2012, 11:50 AM
The tiny apertures & holes in fuel injectors pass petrol under high pressure, and are VERY precisely sized: do NOT try to poke ANYTHING metal through them. The only effective way I know of cleaning fuel injectors is to squirt "carburettor cleaning solvent" through them (available from car accessory shops/etc), but it's nasty stuff on paintwork or if inhaled (!), so be careful when using it. Once the bike is running, regular use of Shell Optimax od BP Ultimate petrol will definitely help to gradually clean the fuel system and keep it clean.