PDA

View Full Version : Progress pics.....

Zak
12-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi all,

I have attached some random pics of the bike and various bits over the process of the two year build, just thought some of you may like to see it in pieces before i put up pics of it finished along with the dyno results.

Z.

Zak
12-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Will post pics up of the finished bike next week when its clean and gleaming.

Z.

Lima071
12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
them there is big bug eyes.
what fairing are you putting on?
are you going for a high level front mudguard, like a multi?
can you post, suppliers of services and parts when you post final pictures?

Zak
12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
them there is big bug eyes.
what fairing are you putting on?
are you going for a high level front mudguard, like a multi?
can you post, suppliers of services and parts when you post final pictures?

No fairing going on, the lights are as they are.

Using the standard front mudguard, with a few inches chopped off and then re-painted (this has been done, just need to fit it)

I must have ordered from over 30 different suppliers, 6 different suppliers were sourced just for the NOS kit and necessary additions, (vacuum switch, nitrous gas, uprated plugs, uprated ignition coils, kit itself, arming switch on handlebars, firing switch on opposite side, both of which had to be made bespoke as the NOS kit was meant for a car). So, if people see bits they like and are interested its prob just best they ask and I'll let them know or I'll spend all night on here and most of the week!

Z.

Lima071
12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
I was talking paint and polish not realising you were insane and had added NOS.
Have you up rated the rear shock or at least the spring as the bike will want to wheelie, and at the same time squat on the rear suspension.

Zak
12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I was talking paint and polish not realising you were insane and had added NOS.
Have you up rated the rear shock or at least the spring as the bike will want to wheelie, and at the same time squat on the rear suspension.

Everyone thinks I'm insane for the NOS, and they're probably right, if it makes me more sane I have added an adjustable boost valve to take the boost from an extra 10bhp to a max output of an extra 50bhp.

Rear suspension has been rebuilt courtesy of Powerstation in Tewkesbury, plus I have added wider renthal bars to allow a better weight distribution of bodyweight over the front (in other words to be really able to hunch over the tank).

Paint is all my own design and I used my CAD designers at work to electronically map the tank and gauge the lines and curves and then draw the artwork out for me so it wouldn't distort, I then had them do the same for my lid so that they match, sent the schematics off to our print department, had them cut the design out of exhibition grade vinyl and create a red legend around the flames, then had my set builders apply it to the tank and then had it all lacquered by 're-born to be wild' in Cheltenham.

The joy of having skilled people around me!

Z.

manwithredbike
13-02-2012, 06:20 PM
some nice chrome there. the lights are 'different'.

He11cat
13-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Some ones been busy mirror polishing!! :)

Zak
13-02-2012, 07:47 PM
some nice chrome there. the lights are 'different'.

Yeah lights are def different, I'm not sure on them yet but do have a back-up plan if I decide I don't like them.

They are however incredible at night.

Some ones been busy mirror polishing!! :)

Very true, polishing is a bit like a galaxy chocolate bar, once you start it you have to keep going.

Z.

rac3r
13-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I want to see pics of the whole bike! :D

Have you thought of a 1098/848 headlight instead? or maybe Duc Streetfighter?

Zak
15-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I want to see pics of the whole bike! :D

Have you thought of a 1098/848 headlight instead? or maybe Duc Streetfighter?

Full pics next week when all the re-painted plastics are back and fitted.

I havent made my mind up I dont like the headlights yet so not sure I will change them, if I do decide to eBay them I have a back up plan but wouldn't go with a Ducati front as I want it to be very different.

Z.

He11cat
15-02-2012, 03:12 PM
I saw one with a fazer front fairing and lights a while back

rac3r
15-02-2012, 06:37 PM
I saw one with a fazer front fairing and lights a while back

I think that one is still for sale :chuckle:

Zak
15-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I think that one is still for sale :chuckle:

Can see why, not sure a fazer's fairing is known for its looks!

Z.

Saint aka ML
15-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Zak why only od why not turbo and nos?

Just curious but how long a bottle of nos you will fit will last, how much to refill and finally how much for a nos setup.

Zak
15-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Zak why only od why not turbo and nos?

Just curious but how long a bottle of nos you will fit will last, how much to refill and finally how much for a nos setup.

Turbo is indeed part of the next stage, I'm not finished yet but want to ride it this summer, so it's been made road legal and safe, will ride it until sept ish and then back to work it will go.

Saint aka ML
15-02-2012, 07:37 PM
For turbo you are planning to use alloy airbox to pressurise or some other setup?

I looked a lot in to that and found plenty of hypermotards with turbo where most bits and pieces were in place of catalytic converter but none mentioned how they pressurised airbox to minimise loss.

Alloy airbox I seen on US monster and there even was a kit available but it was very heavy with all steel pipes and alloy airbox.

Then I seen a airbox for Honda pressurised for turbo but CF unit.

After that I seen a turbo driven of crank on 999 with no airbox as such just direct feed from turbo to injectors, seemed best setup as weight added by piping was reclaimed a bit by lack of airbox.

Will be looking with interest however for figures a 1993 m900 went up from 78bhp (he had some engine work done as well) to just under 130bhp at pick compression.

Zak
15-02-2012, 08:41 PM
For turbo you are planning to use alloy airbox to pressurise or some other setup?

I looked a lot in to that and found plenty of hypermotards with turbo where most bits and pieces were in place of catalytic converter but none mentioned how they pressurised airbox to minimise loss.

Alloy airbox I seen on US monster and there even was a kit available but it was very heavy with all steel pipes and alloy airbox.

Then I seen a airbox for Honda pressurised for turbo but CF unit.

After that I seen a turbo driven of crank on 999 with no airbox as such just direct feed from turbo to injectors, seemed best setup as weight added by piping was reclaimed a bit by lack of airbox.

Will be looking with interest however for figures a 1993 m900 went up from 78bhp (he had some engine work done as well) to just under 130bhp at pick compression.

Easy tiger I haven't even begun that stage yet, I have seen it done on a m900 by an engineering company that was based in Gloucester called Polygon, and they had some incredible results, so im confident i can do it, once I start investigating into it I'll post details on here, I've only just overcome the problems of fitting a car NOS kit to a bike and the vacuum switch was an even bigger headache. So the turbo and it's headaches can wait for now.

Dukedesmo
15-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Mmmm Nitous oxide, turbo... :scratch:

Nice one Zak...:thumbsup:

Zak
15-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Mmmm Nitous oxide, turbo... :scratch:

Nice one Zak...:thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly, I'm not sure yet if it's actually even worth doing both, I'm tempted but mainly for willy measuring competitions, I'm def going to start the prework investigation and if it adds up i'll do it, if not then there are many other things I can do to get the naturally aspirated engine giving me more ponies.

Z.

bex
15-02-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm tempted but mainly for willy measuring competitions.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

rac3r
15-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Wouldn't supercharged be better for a twin?

Saint aka ML
15-02-2012, 09:20 PM
In what way? You would still run it of a crank where two belts meet and you still have a problem of compressed air delivery. Or am I confusing something?

rac3r
15-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't know I just read it somewhere :chuckle:

Capo
16-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Another use for Nos

He11cat
16-02-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm not surprised either I saw it in the flesh :)
if your going bug eyed it has to be twin bates lights !

utopia
16-02-2012, 05:28 AM

I'm on very dodgy ground here, knowing little on the subject and having even less experience, but...
Yes, I think supercharging might be better.
Possibly because, being a low revving engine which delivers lots of torque at low revs, there would be a greater issue with turbo lag, giving you a less controllable sudden burst of torque when the turbo kicked in.....??
Also, because of the low engine speeds maybe a turbo with its internal slippage (?) would never run fast enough to be in its efficient zone, whereas the positive displacement of a supercharger would be efficient over the full range....??
Also, I think the supercharger wins in the "cool" stakes, though I couldn't exactly say why.

I remember a few years back seeing an article in MCN about a ducati motor (a 2-valve, 900, I think), being converted to run as a single, where the "spare" cylinder became the supercharger. ....interesting.

rac3r
16-02-2012, 02:59 PM
What I read was that it had something to with the pulse of a twin making it difficult to set up a turbo correctly. I have no idea myself though

Here is a Turbo S2R 800

http://www.duccutters.com/WaynePatterson-S2Rturbo.tpl

I'd love to Turbo/Supercharge just for the sound alone :D

Saint aka ML
16-02-2012, 03:14 PM
What I read was that it had something to with the pulse of a twin making it difficult to set up a turbo correctly. I have no idea myself though

Here is a Turbo S2R 800

http://www.duccutters.com/WaynePatterson-S2Rturbo.tpl

I'd love to Turbo/Supercharge just for the sound alone :D

Sounds normal.. also power gain is not that big check the SS that was done for drag racing from 62 to 209.5 bhp

Duc600mon
16-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Man you are as crazy as a coconut, but you got balls and a deep wallet i'll give you that!

rollo22
16-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Zak,
Give Dave Woods (Dave Woods racing) in Aylesbury a bell he turbo charged a multi strata for the founder of the club and it was stupidly quick and seem to remember it took a bit of set uptime.
Hope this helps.

Zak
16-02-2012, 06:23 PM

Possibly, I do need to look into it, but I've always fancied a turbo.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

I could lie and say it was for the experience, but you know what us men are like, we get 'em out at any opp to see who can wee furthest and who's is biggest! It's all about the bragging rights...... (sad but true)

Man you are as crazy as a coconut, but you got balls and a deep wallet i'll give you that!

You're not the 1st person to say I've got balls, or as my mum says, "Zak, you're a show off and one day will kill yourself", such kind gentle words....

As for deep wallet, Im thinking of setting up a church and asking for donations to cleanse your soul, this will be done by me having a flash monster, that's the best way for me to get you access to heaven, fact. So please leave lots of money in an envelope and send to me!

Zak,
Give Dave Woods (Dave Woods racing) in Aylesbury a bell he turbo charged a multi strata for the founder of the club and it was stupidly quick and seem to remember it took a bit of set uptime.
Hope this helps.

Thanks mate, will def do.

Z.

Zak
29-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Another teaser...

Hi All,

Pic of the back end of the bike, polished and resprayed plastics and hugger, plus positioning of the NOS bottle, more pics to follow later this week!

Z.

Nottsbiker
29-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Looks like you have a very small man holding onto your NOS bottle ;)

Progress looks good so far :)

Zak
29-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Looks like you have a very small man holding onto your NOS bottle ;)

Progress looks good so far :)

He is indeed tiny, only 1ft 8 in fact, a pocket mechanic if you will, designed by Ducati to fit in the useless space under the seat where the standard 'tool kit' goes (I use the word tool kit loosely), he was an optional extra available for a limited period of time, but handy nonetheless.

J_Dub
29-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I remember a few years back seeing an article in MCN about a ducati motor (a 2-valve, 900, I think), being converted to run as a single, where the "spare" cylinder became the supercharger. ....interesting.

This one on kneeslider? (http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/12/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/)