PDA

View Full Version : What would your reply be?

bigredduke
03-02-2012, 09:46 PM
My 17 yr old daughter sidled up to me recently and the ensuing conversation went as follows:
"Dad"
"Yes?"
"You know your Paul Smart"
"Yes"
"Can I have it when you die?"
"Yes"

She knows I will keep it forever, even after I am too old and decrepit to swing a leg over it, let alone ride it so I suppose it was a reasonable request.

Funny that she is not interested in the ST4S. Perhaps if I still had the S4R she would have asked for that as well.

Anyone else had a similar request or own a bike (or anything else) you will keep until you die & would like to pass on?

He11cat
03-02-2012, 09:58 PM
I would like one of mine to be kept .
I really don't have much of value ,
apart from my bikes , I have a simple silver ring and a necklace I always wear and that's it really they are my belongings that I love.

How would anyone feel if someone got left a bike to care for and would you agree to do it?

jerry
03-02-2012, 10:12 PM
My daughter is 12 and she wants all my Ducatis when she is 18!!!!!!!!!

nuttynick
03-02-2012, 10:19 PM
My daughter wants one of my watches, not worried about the Dukes yet!

Dave G
03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
And if you say OK, by the time she's eighteen she'll have swapped it for a new pink iPhone 5 when it comes out.

Give her nothing until she's at least forty with her own kids!;):D

chris yeatman
03-02-2012, 10:42 PM
i dont have a daughter yet, but wen the time comes she will be forced to have my monnie.

bigredduke
03-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Are you implying that I only have one more year to live?:on:

And if you say OK, by the time she's eighteen she'll have swapped it for a new pink iPhone 5 when it comes out.

Give her nothing until she's at least forty with her own kids!;):D

Mohawk
03-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Yes the Hailwood Rep which I inherited from my brother has been in the family just over 30 years. Hoping my nephew may want it when I'm gone. In the meantime, it's cherished.

He11cat
03-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Its an honor really to be asked....

My family probably dread anything happening to me.... nobody would want anything!!

utopia
04-02-2012, 03:25 AM
My keeper 750 has had my youngest boy's name on it for a couple of years now.
He asked, in exactly the same way.
It took a couple of seconds to recover from the spooked feeling, but then I said yes pretty much immediately.
Now that I've grown used to it, I wouldn't have it any other way.

When he was younger, and I didn't have a bike on the road for a decade or so, we used to watch "who wants to be a millionaire" and see how much we'd win if we were the contestants. But my prize scale was different. The lower levels didn't count, but £4000 equalled one (used) Ducati. Then £8000 was a new one, £16000 was two Ducatis, and so on, until you had a shedful.
Maybe thats one reason he wanted this one.

pegboy
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Whilst out in the man cave the other night my son whos nearly 4 ask me when i fix the bike and hes big enough we can ride together, my sone likes the M600 while i will ride the s2r. He sat there and i could see he was deep in thought, he turns to me and says "i know daddy why don't we just buy two new bikes and we can ride them" my reply thats a great idea son go and tell your mother!!!!

Dave G
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Are you implying that I only have one more year to live?:on:

Having my very own 18 year old I know how fickle they are and how short lived some of her wishes can be.
Sure, I'll walk him every day and feed him and look after him....forever!
How did I manage to end up having sole responsibility for two dogs as well as the usual stuff......oh wait!:grump::dizzy::gromit::freak:

Thirdway
04-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Bloody Hell, I have a daughter ?:shocked:

Char
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
My 19 year old not interested in bikes at all, my 16 year old got a ped at christmas, other day he asked if he could sit on the S4r, the words that followed were 'can I have a go' - 'yes when I'm dead' probably not the wisest words.

He'll be getting a 125 in June thats going to be bad enough!

utopia
04-02-2012, 05:02 PM
He'll be getting a 125 in June thats going to be bad enough!

Yeah, its a dilemma, isn't it......to encourage them to share the bike buzz, or to keep them safe from the dangers.
I've just tried to show them both sides as fully as I can, then left them to make their own minds up.
Remember, riding a bike will probably make them safer car drivers, so there is a payback.
Thus far none of my four have taken up biking, but there are possibilities afoot.

singletrack
04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
My eldest daughter is not at all interested.
Youngest daughter ( age 20) wanted my Ducati when I die.
I told her she can have it, if she is still interested.
She got a 125 when she was 18 and didn't ride it. Sold it then decided she wanted another one. She doesn't ride that either. :rolleyes:
Anyone want to buy a 2009 Derbi Terra 125 for a great price before we move and I have nowhere to keep it?
I think I will have to leave my EVO to someone who Will be able to ride it.

revver
04-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I have a step daughter 17 and 2 of my own 8 and 10. The 17 yr old has all the gear and is saving for a bike to do her cbt. She just wants to be mobile. 10yr old has been on the tank a couple of times not really a fan but the 8 year old is a proper speed freak loves it and is always nagging for a go if i have the bikes are out. But non have asked yet if they can have them when i go.

Quantox
04-02-2012, 10:59 PM
My lad started off with a trials bike when he was 9, (now 30) and used my 250 Desmo for his 2 year 33bhp restriction after passing his test, then he moved onto my Commando 750 Combat. Following that he thought the VFR 750 was ace but then tried the M900 and didn't stop grinning for a month. Thank goodness he's gone abroad for a couple of years, I've got my bikes back for a while. He'll receive all of them ( 14 at the mo) when I go but I doubt that he'll keep them all.

Cheers

Q