PDA

View Full Version : Single front disk overhaul

griffs
02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
I am about to strip the single front caliper on my 2002 620 Dark. Not sure if it needs it, but as it has stood for 5 years I figure it wont do any harm. The bike is off the road whilst my forks are being re-chromed.

The question I have is: Can I buy new seals for the pistons. In drawings (www.DucatiOmaha.com have excellent links via OEM link) I don't see an overview of the caliper with part numbers and someone told me the Brembo caliper is a throw away part.

Anyone have any experience?

Thanks

pegboy
02-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I have done the same but at the time did not find any service kits or parts for the calipers.

fireman sam
02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Do you need new seals clean them up carefully and lubricate with clean brake fluid and replace after cleaning all components Further info on seals check out 888-851 fourom for info

Nickj
02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
You'll probably find the seals are actually OK but just have filled with a mix of fluid and pad dust over the years.
Carefully remove, clean the slot they live in and clean the seals them selves, odds are they will be fine.

griffs
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone.

I thinlkI will just prise the piston out as much as I can before it pops out and clean it. After inspection it doesn't look bad at all so as long as all pistons move freely it should be OK. Wisk I could repaint it though as paint is flaking in places.

Another question, has anyone ever upgraded from single to double disk? Is there any merit in doing this? My caliper has 4 pistons so adding another caliper of the same performance could be OTT.

Nickj
06-02-2012, 12:01 PM
My old IE and current 750 had/have twin disks, I think that both use the same master end so the pressure applied on a twin caliper set up will be slightly less than on a single.
Not ever having tried a single set up it's a bit hard to say what the difference would be but give the front brake good hard squeeze in the dry and you can get the back end very light.