PDA

View Full Version : What would you recommend

Gutsy
02-02-2012, 12:37 PM
For chain oil? There are so many brands, synthethic, non-synthetic, dry/wet.... Is Wurth a good enough product as that's the brand I'm most familiar with.

Thanks
Gutsy

bex
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm trying out Wurth Dry Chain Lube at the minute based on some forum research - seems to have been recommended quite a few times on here, seems good so far and nice easy spray on. I can never quite tell when I've got enough on though?

Was previously using 80W-90 gear oil. Gunky though, always splatted around the rear wheel, but I've found that with any actual 'oil'.

Oh...I bought here, I thought it was a pretty decent price for 500ml: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MQ035I

Char
02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes Wurth dry here to - Martin uses it on mine all the time :running:

Dukedesmo
02-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Also use Wurth, seems to lubricate OK and very little mess.

J.P
02-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I've used the Wurth Dry lube for years. Even on the bike. :)

bex
02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Can I just say.... shudder!

J.P
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
At least there's no squeaking....

bex
02-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Always important when you have a threesome.

(of Ducatis)

satan916
02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Or friction

Liz
02-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Poor Jeeves.......:running:

bex
02-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Anyway yes... it seems Wurth is the way forward Alison!! :biggrin:

cairojay
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Castrol Race lube is better in winter against rust than wurth which I use in the summer

J.P
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Poor Jeeves.......:running:

Yes, it's the 'fling off' that he hates...

neilo
02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
+1 for Wurth dry chain lube. Have used it for years, and my ZZR1400 (which are known to eat chains) was very happy with it too!

utopia
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Just thought I'd put in a plug for scottoilers.
Yes, they're a little bit messy, but nothing thats a problem once they're set up right.
The plus side is that your chain is ALWAYS perfectly lubricated.
Since fitting one to the monster I've done about 5000 miles and only had to adjust the chain once, and then only by one flat on the adjuster bolts, and even that wasn't strictly neccessary, I was just being a bit fussy.
And in those 5000 miles I have only used about 2/3 of a bottle of scottoil.
You do get a build up of fling coming off the gearbox sprocket, but with only two bolts on the cover thats easy enough to wipe away every now and then.

Rally
02-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I've always used Castrol and been happy, but as i'm low, maybe I should get some wurth now then. I'm glad about that as we are Wurth dealers at work. :thumbsup:

J.P
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM
find out what the going 'discounted' rate is and you could become our supplier.

philrl1
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I've also used Wurth Dry Chain Lube. Good stuff and no mess. As someone's said it's not thick enough for winter use - when I used to ride in winter I used Rock Oil off road lube.
As for how much, it's a bit of guesswork for me with Wurth - Until it looks like it's got enough top and bottom and all the chain's been covered.:)

gary tompkins
02-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I would use Scottoil... in conjuction with a Scottoiler of course

Nickj
02-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Wurth dry too, I do find that you don't get the dribble of gunge onto the stand pivot though.
Also use it on the big metal 5 bar gate and generally all over the place. I think it would probably work well on cables too though not tried that yet

Stafford
02-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Also a vote for Wurth here, just awaiting a delivery from my local independent supplier.

Pedro
02-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Also a vote for Wurth here, just awaiting a delivery from my local independent supplier.

Point taken Staff!!

Having said that, despite jules working for Wurth, the bikes run Scottoilers!!

uksurfer
02-02-2012, 06:14 PM
i like wurth dry lube too, doesnt leave a sticky mess like some alternative lubricants...

MrsC_772
02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
When a Scottoiler works, it's ace. The one on my old Bandit was great.

The one on my 696 has never really worked, and I've resorted to using the SDoc white chain lube that Andy has for the green machine.

Gutsy
02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks to each and all of you for your input. Wurth is the clear winner so far. I have bought a new Scottoiler but am on a fence about having it fitted and it seems a more complicated fitting task than it needs to be. I've already taken it to one bike garage who "hummed and Haaad" about the vacuum pipe that I lost confidence in their ability to do it right. So will resort to Wurth until I can be convinced about Scottoilers.

Stafford
02-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Point taken Staff!!

Having said that, despite jules working for Wurth, the bikes run Scottoilers!!

PMSL, no rush everything is on SORN at the moment. That said I also run a Scottie on the Monster but still give the chain a quick squirt before a run anyway!
If you need a hand Alison pop up at the weekend.

gary tompkins
02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks to each and all of you for your input. Wurth is the clear winner so far. I have bought a new Scottoiler but am on a fence about having it fitted and it seems a more complicated fitting task than it needs to be. I've already taken it to one bike garage who "hummed and Haaad" about the vacuum pipe that I lost confidence in their ability to do it right. So will resort to Wurth until I can be convinced about Scottoilers.

A competent mechanic should be able to fit one in under 2 hours. It took me less time than that to fit both of mine - about an hour each

Unfortunately a lot of self-professed competent mechanics are actually useless tossers

jerry
03-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I have tried em all,,, wirth dry, PJ1, rock , castrol etc etc etc ...now i just add a few drops of 3in1 or sewing machine oil to the chain before every run and my chains on all 3 bikes are clean no clogging or grit but well lubed and seem to need less adjustment , plus these oils are cheap and small enough to be carried on longer trips easy

Funkatronic
04-02-2012, 12:04 AM
wurth dry lube in the summer. i put on the stand roll the wheel and spary unitl it drips on the swingarm, then let it dry for 20 mins and do itagain

in winter i use rock oil wet chain lube

key to it is to apply when the chain is hot (ie just before you put the bike away for the night) and then let it soak in

if you spray and then ride, it flings off everywhere

revver
25-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Just to be different i use silcolene chain lube. It's a bit messey but had the triumph layed up for a few years and no rust and the chain still looks like new. Just takes a bit of extra cleaning.

Pedro
25-02-2012, 07:08 PM
PMSL, no rush everything is on SORN at the moment. That said I also run a Scottie on the Monster but still give the chain a quick squirt before a run anyway!
If you need a hand Alison pop up at the weekend.

Remind me what you want Staff as we're putting in an order shortly

Ped