PDA

View Full Version : Adding an oil cooler to an S4

Phatty
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
The S4R has one, as does the S4RS. The S4 appears to just have bypass hoses instead.

Would like to fit a v shaped cooler and integrate it into the belly pan, like the streetfighter.

Has anyone done this? What's the thread size on the hoses?

satan916
02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I managed to get hold of a Ducati Performance oil cooler kit and fitted it to my S4, although one of the crankcase fittings was missing. I called Craig at Moto Rapido (who sourced the original kit for me), and he supplied a fitting, which I believe was from an ST4S, this would suggest that the thread sizes are the same as that model. It may be worth giving him a call, he may be able to source another complete kit (if you want to go down that route), or he may be able to help with the sizes you're looking for. I'm assuming you have the correct front rocker cover with the lugs on to bolt the cooler to (assuming you're going to mount it that way)

Just done a quick check, and it looks like the part numbers for the ST4S and S4R hoses and crankcase fittings are exactly the same (www.ducatiomaha.com), the only difference is the actual cooler itself. If you're looking to mount the cooler differently, I'm assuming you're going to need longer hoses, hence the thread size question. If so, if nobody on here can help, your best bet is to get the crankase fittings (which you will need), and take them to an engineering company or hose manufacturer who should be able to tell you the thread size

Phatty
02-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Didn't realise I'd need I change the rocker cover, I did wonder how it was mounted.

Not really interested in 'kit', you just get ripped off for bolts and hoses which are easy to source elsewhere. I'd make up my own hoses with anodised fittings, just need to know the thread size. Will measure mine when I change the oil.

Any pics of yours fitted? I like the look of the belly pan too.

Dukedesmo
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Not done it but if you are going to source parts individually, be aware that other than the hoses & fittings there is a bypass plate that fits into the oil filter recess above the filter.

satan916
02-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Didn't realise I'd need I change the rocker cover, I did wonder how it was mounted.

Not really interested in 'kit', you just get ripped off for bolts and hoses which are easy to source elsewhere. I'd make up my own hoses with anodised fittings, just need to know the thread size. Will measure mine when I change the oil.

Any pics of yours fitted? I like the look of the belly pan too.

I can get some photos for you when I get the bike back from the sprayers (long story), the bellypan is for sale if you're interested as I've gone to a carbon shorty type. Let me know if interested ( I'll do it for a good price, it's hardly seen any mileage so hasn't got any chips or marks on it, but if memory serves I had to do a bit of surgery on it to allow for the cooler).
Good spot Dukedesmo, I'd forgotten about the bypass plate

Phatty
02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Is this plate something I need to fit or something I need to remove?

Ooh, Could be interested in the belly pan yeah, will wait for some pics.

Stafford
02-02-2012, 01:50 PM
You'll need to fit one by removing and the oil filter stud and popping it all back together again.
Simples.

satan916
02-02-2012, 02:13 PM
You'll need to fit one by removing and the oil filter stud and popping it all back together again.
Simples.

What Stafford means is to remove the filter (before someone comes along and corrects me, drain the oil first ha ha!), and undo the large nut (or is it bolt ?) located at the top of the filter housing (be careful, if memory serves it's done up quite tight, and has a shallow head, so there is a chance of the socket slipping off). The plate then sits under this nut/bolt(it does have to go on a certain way (can't remember which way is correct, someone on here is bound to know) then as Staffs says, do it all back up again

Stafford
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
What Stafford means is to remove the filter (before someone comes along and corrects me, drain the oil first ha ha!), and undo the large nut (or is it bolt ?) located at the top of the filter housing (be careful, if memory serves it's done up quite tight, and has a shallow head, so there is a chance of the socket slipping off). The plate then sits under this nut/bolt(it does have to go on a certain way (can't remember which way is correct, someone on here is bound to know) then as Staffs says, do it all back up again

All very true, it does make a mess if not drained first.
If I recall as you look up the finger of the plate goes over the oil feed hole. The stud undoes as normal you're just upside down, but it is tight as stated and the bearing face for the socket is quite skinny and made of Ducati cheese, so take care.

Capo
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM
The hose adaptor fittings are the same for both the engine and cooler ends.
The oil feed for the rockers is taken from the oil cooler.
The hoses have preformed metal tubes that orientate and guide the hoses.
Only the S4R cooler will fit the cam cover , the triangular one i.e S4R wont.

I have a cooler and Fren Tubo carbon fibre hoses for sale.

Phatty
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Please PM me with details of anything you have for sale relating to this.

Cheers for the info guys. Not as simple as I imagined.

Phatty
06-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Full kit on ebay, £350!!! I don't think so... A Mocal 19 row one for my track car was half that.

Phatty
12-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Bought and fitted one. Not sure if it's all "right" as the rocker cover has extra bosses on it and the hoses appear to be a touch too long. Might change these for anodised alloy -6AN fittings.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/phatvr6/735a925b.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/phatvr6/e1c22e72.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/phatvr6/88585089.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/phatvr6/f6354ddd.jpg

Got 2 spare sets of hoses if anyone is looking to fit one. It would appear to be an ST baswd cooler.

Dukedesmo
12-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Bought and fitted one. Not sure if it's all "right" as the rocker cover has extra bosses on it.

The extra bosses are to hold on the front 'V' section of the fairing - same as on a 916, so would suggest that it is from an ST4.

Looks good though. :thumbsup:

uksurfer
12-02-2012, 08:59 PM
it might let it run a bit cooler?

mine used to get quite hot after a hard ride

Phatty
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, I'm looking to give it some track use now, so can't see it doing any harm. The slightly added capacity is always a good thing too.

Still not sure where the plate goes, but I haven't had the filter off yet.

All new hoses, fittings. Cooler flushed out, cleaned and repainted. Also took the corroded engine parts off for a strip and repaint but the shade is a bit bluer then i hoped. Will try without laqcuer next time. Its Simoniz 5 wheel silver over a black base coat.

Dukedesmo
12-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Still not sure where the plate goes, but I haven't had the filter off yet.

Checkout this post from Ducati.ms regarding the bypass plate fitment; http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/14686-oil-cooler-help-part-ii.html

Capo
12-02-2012, 10:19 PM
The 'bypass plate' does just that, if the pressure across the cooler is higher than the spring tension of the plate, the pressure will force it off its seat allowing oil to bypass the cooler (and cut off the feed to the rockers). Omitting the plate produces the same result.

Later plates have plastic on the end to assist a tight seal.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/Tutorials/P1000775.jpg

Capo
12-02-2012, 10:31 PM
it might let it run a bit cooler?

Indeed it will, quite how much is dependant on four variables, oil temperature, oil volume, air temperature and air volume. I'm sure Jan has a program that would produce the heat rejection curves.

Oil is intentionally used to cool the pistons by jets directed to the underside. Oil also removes heat from the big end assembly.