PDA

View Full Version : WDW travel (ferry etc) thread

MrsC_772
29-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Anyone had any thoughts about travel plans, getting to and from Gallarate/Misano? I know there are a few people flying out - what about those on 2/4 wheels?

Altaian and I are keen to get the ferry or Chunnel on the Monday 18 June, maybe booking somewhere in France for the first night, and then seeing where we end up on the Tuesday night (probably Switzerland somewhere) before the Wednesday in Gallarate.

Return journey, we've had vague ideas about coming back via Austria, Germany (we both have friends in Bavaria) and Belgium.

Altaian wondered about staying on for the Bikers Classics event at Spa the weekend of 29 June - 1 July.

I need to be back home in time for work on Monday, so probably wouldn't want a whole weekend at Spa myself.

Grumpy, Char & UKSurfer - I think you might be the only other hardcore UKMOCers riding down as opposed to vanning it or flying. Any suggestions?

uksurfer
29-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought there were a few more riders/drivers going down for it?

I'll probably look at the option of travelling down o/night crossing sat or sun night from Portsmouth arriving in the morning for the first day of travelling, I need to look at the map really :scratch:

Capo
29-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Chunnel Tues night, non stop to Gallarate

Rally
29-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Portsmouth - Le Havre on Monday night. 1st day to somewhere near Geneva, 2nd day to ride around and enjoy before Gallarate for the evening. Maybe go to Gallarate and then ride from there around the area?

nuttynick
29-01-2012, 11:48 AM
If anyone has any problems before they get to the tunnel, I live about 10 mins from it. My workshop and tools are available to help out anyone in need ;-)

Capo
29-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I thought there were a few more riders/drivers going down for it?

Deposit time may have had something to do with it

Mohawk
29-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm riding over with friends and are still deciding on the route. Looks like we might go via Liege, Nurburgring, Black Forest, through Switzerland via Andermatt then on to Misano. Taking the Chunnel on the Saturday so we have time for a play on the way :)

Grumpy
29-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm traveling out on the mon, with a plan of various site/ places to visit on the way. Thye plan is to be in Milan by wed afternoon.

Altaian
29-01-2012, 07:09 PM
As per MrsC's post, Monday morning looks promising to allow less use of motorways & more time for enjoying the 'Journey' to both Gallarate & Misano

Spa is indeed an option, but not fussed about the whole w/e; perhaps Fri and/or Sat - depending on event schedule. NuttyNick said it was a Ducati theme this year, so it could be a good excuse to visit two Ducati events whilst already in Europe. Belgium to the ports isn't an epic journey.

Any details on Spa yet NuttyNick?

nuttynick
29-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Still only what's on the site Altaian. It's still being advertised as a Superbike themed event, but no mention of it being dedicted to Ducati? Time will tell, I'm going either way as it's an event not to ne missed. It's running 29/30 June to 1 July. The Radisson has rooms starting at 100 Euros a night, or a choice of holiday homes and campsites nearby. If anyone else is interested in doing WDW and Spa PM me and I'll add you to the email list. I'll let you know when I know more! Sorry for the hi-jack!

uksurfer
30-01-2012, 04:27 AM
My thoughts are similar now after having quick look at map
Just need pick somewhere in france for the Monday night maybe?

Sun pm Ferry
Mon night - france?
Tue night - Lausanne (Lake)
Wed night - Gallarate
Thurs night - Misano

Just got to think about return trip now :thumbsup:

Rally
30-01-2012, 05:21 AM
My thoughts are similar now after having quick look at map
Just need pick somewhere in france for the Monday night maybe?

Sun pm Ferry
Mon night - france?
Tue night - Lausanne (Lake)
Wed night - Gallarate
Thurs night - Misano

Just got to think about return trip now :thumbsup:

You can do Lausanne in a day with reasonable comfort from Le Havre. I have done so on many occasions. (Unless of course you are going to stop alot for sight seeing) I have some hotel details if you want them with rooms that look over the lake and onto Mont Blanc.

Char
30-01-2012, 07:41 AM
The journey is part of the holiday for us so planning a nice relaxed scenic route with plenty of good food en route

Teatime-S4
30-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I am thinking Portsmouth Cherbourg, Milau Bridge, roman Amphitheatre Orange, WDW, back over the Alps. Probably a bit ambitious, perhaps I'll just stay at home and Watch Strictly Come Dancing on Ice - Bound to be on.

Char
03-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Is it worth buying a Swiss vignette pass before travelling or are these easy to buy on the border?

Looks like it would be tricky crossing Switzerland without using class 1 and 2 roads?

J.P
03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
In Switzerland the motorway checkpoints can be a bit hit and miss, if you get stopped you can get one right there, will cost you more if you don't have Swiss Francs, but I've travelled a few times and a lot of the time they just can't be bothered to stop you and on you go without paying.
I got all the way through Switzerland last summer using the motorways and didn't pay a penny. :)

Char
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
In Switzerland the motorway checkpoints can be a bit hit and miss, if you get stopped you can get one right there, will cost you more if you don't have Swiss Francs, but I've travelled a few times and a lot of the time they just can't be bothered to stop you and on you go without paying.
I got all the way through Switzerland last summer using the motorways and didn't pay a penny. :)

Humm not sure if worth risking the CH100 fine plus the £30 for the disc!

uksurfer
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Humm not sure if worth risking the CH100 fine plus the £30 for the disc!

wheres switzerland.....

J.P
03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
You could always go another way so you don't to travel through Switzerland?

Pomp1
03-02-2012, 04:08 PM
If you're riding through Geneva you can avoid the motorway, Lac Leman side through Lausanne, Montreux, then you can choose Simplon pass or Monte Bianco.
Or get in on the French side, through Evian.

iconic944ss
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm riding over with friends and are still deciding on the route. Looks like we might go via Liege, Nurburgring, Black Forest, through Switzerland via Andermatt then on to Misano. Taking the Chunnel on the Saturday so we have time for a play on the way :)

Just the kind of Route I was also thinking of!

I will ride fully in at least One direction - also fancy visiting Nurburgring (before it closes), Stelvio pass and a ride around Misano too???

Still assessing options but I saw these guys advertising in MCM could be handy for coming back home:

http://www.railsavers.com/