PDA

View Full Version : Bikes are bigger then we might think.

Saint aka ML
19-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Until today I never paid attention to the size of my bike. Yes you see it when you approach it, see some of it while riding or all of it when parked.

However that is mostly outside surrounded by even bigger things.
In such situation they feel like bicycles to me.

Today I was putting together the front cowl for my SS that I got from Stafford, I was doing it in front of the TV.
When I was done I put it next to TV turned around when I looked in that direction again I hit me how big this thing is. I mean TV is 30" and yet cowl is smidge taller and half the width. Never noticed that till today odd.

Now Stafford did you spray paint that cowl while you were racing? There are clear signs that paint was still wet when you were moving ;)

bex
19-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Bike stuff in general is just hugely space consuming I think. I hadn't realised before either, and then I got a flat and a few bikes.

My hallway, is literally, and I do mean literally, bursting with bike crap. Theres a set of book shelves full of helmets, tools, bottles, sprays and all that guff. Not a book in sight. I had to drill holes in the bookshelves and also use them like a wardrobe, so now theres 2 sets of bike jackets and trousers, and a one piece suit hanging up, as there was nowhere else to put them (and when the one piece was hanging on the back of my bedroom door I kept waking up in the night ****ting myself when I saw this big white floating corpse :chuckle:).

On top of the bookshelves is a big mudguard from my 620, and a whole load of boxing gloves etc :rolleyes:

On the floor theres 3 different bike seats, 2 wiring looms, more toolboxes, several pairs of bike boots. On the opposite side of the hall (which is less than 2m wide) is another storage cabinet full of crap, with paddock stands, back protector, chest protector, you name it, on top, all the way up to the ceiling right now.

Combine all that with 4 A1 portfolios, giant rolls of paper, card, foamboard, timber, scalpels and general architecture modelling stuff.

My front door is my garage. I call it 'the cave', its quite a mish getting in and out on a daily basis. Thankfully I'm in my final year of uni so largely a hermit and going out and such like does not concern me :worried:

...dont get me started on the living room with 3 printers (one thats as big as me), headlamps and brake lights being just a few of the things I see lying around me as I type this. My kitchen table has a giant model of Hampstead Heath on it and my floor is covered in cutting mats and models. You think bike stuff is big? Pfff, try being an architect and a biker :chuckle:

Nickj
19-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a nice place to be Bex... LOL I know what you mean about things hanging off the back of doors and that what the faaaa half sleeping half awake moment when you notice it (again)

What you need as well is, I was going to say a man shed but I think a Bex sheds going to fit

bex
19-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I was also considering putting my little cb200 project bike in here too. If nothing else I think it would be rather funny. I was just trying to figure out if it would fit in the lift.

My parking garage is a public thing so I can keep the monster there but thats all.

Got to move this year, I'm thinking one big open studio would be awesome, , one big cave!

Saint aka ML
20-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Bex did not even think off all the other stuff.

Yep same here with suit on back off door. I have a shed on driveway that fits monster and SS or monster and all the bike frap like stands, tools, parts. All that is at home is lid and suit.

Well and front cowl, dash and airbox but those will be gone tomorrows.

Stafford
20-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Now Stafford did you spray paint that cowl while you were racing? There are clear signs that paint was still wet when you were moving ;)

The paint was applied by the thieving scab that had decided the best way to disguise a really fast yellow bike, was to spray it black all over without masking anything. It was not a pretty sight.
I then bought it as a stolen recovery.

Thirdway
20-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Comparing older bikes is weird. New bikes are huge compared to most of the Japanese 70s bikes. Tiny, skinny tyres, weedy gas pipe frames and swing arms that look like they were designed to hold nothing more than a spit roast.

Really low as well.

But heavy. Despite the diminutive size, the inline 4s feel incredibly solid, with all the mass being making its weight felt if tipped from side to side at standstill. They are like Dwarf Stars.

They also sound a lot different. The older fours really rumble and bark more like a twin.

mintyhit
20-01-2012, 08:41 AM
I think it is because your view when you are on the bike is of so little, a bit of the tank, clocks and some mirrors so it does keep a false impression on being on something quite small.

Wheel it indoors however as I did during my rebuild and yes, it is much better than you might think - especially when it is next to your bed in bits! :)

He11cat
20-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes older jap bikes are decieving my GSX 400e
took 2 people to lift .., it was like a barge and solid.
My monster is much lighter!

I have bike kit and bits everywhere!!! In my living room in my hall way and dining room too.
full of boxes ..-
also 2 seats a tank and mudguards and bits in my bed too
I even have parts for ex bikes which I must shift!
Basement has stuff as well .. Hmm who lives in a house like this??
A very untidy biker ..oh girl one as shed left her GHDs on the floor!

J.P
20-01-2012, 10:11 AM
This thread has made me giggle this morning.
Bex, how the hell do you move in your flat ?

Altaian
20-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Bike stuff in general is just hugely space consuming I think. I hadn't realised before either, and then I got a flat and a few bikes.

My hallway, is literally, and I do mean literally, bursting with bike crap. Theres a set of book shelves full of helmets, tools, bottles, sprays and all that guff. Not a book in sight. I had to drill holes in the bookshelves and also use them like a wardrobe, so now theres 2 sets of bike jackets and trousers, and a one piece suit hanging up, as there was nowhere else to put them (and when the one piece was hanging on the back of my bedroom door I kept waking up in the night ****ting myself when I saw this big white floating corpse :chuckle:).

On top of the bookshelves is a big mudguard from my 620, and a whole load of boxing gloves etc :rolleyes:

On the floor theres 3 different bike seats, 2 wiring looms, more toolboxes, several pairs of bike boots. On the opposite side of the hall (which is less than 2m wide) is another storage cabinet full of crap, with paddock stands, back protector, chest protector, you name it, on top, all the way up to the ceiling right now.

Combine all that with 4 A1 portfolios, giant rolls of paper, card, foamboard, timber, scalpels and general architecture modelling stuff.

My front door is my garage. I call it 'the cave', its quite a mish getting in and out on a daily basis. Thankfully I'm in my final year of uni so largely a hermit and going out and such like does not concern me :worried:

...dont get me started on the living room with 3 printers (one thats as big as me), headlamps and brake lights being just a few of the things I see lying around me as I type this. My kitchen table has a giant model of Hampstead Heath on it and my floor is covered in cutting mats and models. You think bike stuff is big? Pfff, try being an architect and a biker :chuckle:

{phew} it's nice to know you're not alone in the world. How much of this has common ground. Substitute hobbies & interests along with spacial parameters & OMG.

Can't say the I've been caught out with the big white floating corpse. But I've forgotten I've hung up either the leathers, wet suit, dry suit or BCD in doorways & gone bump in the night when trying to avoid turning a light on... :dizzy: Knees & toes have also connected with various bits of kit... all in the aid of trying to return to slumber as quickly & quietely as possible...

bex
20-01-2012, 12:30 PM
This thread has made me giggle this morning.
Bex, how the hell do you move in your flat ?

Hahahaha.

Its really quite simple. I only need one path.

Bed-computer-kettle...bed-computer-kettle...

J.P
20-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Hahahaha.

That's how old recluse's live......

bex
20-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Its all the rage again you know. I'm the recluse comeback queen, like Take That, but less well dressed.

the_adam
20-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Hahahaha.

I think as an architect you really need to be coming up with a more efficient path to the kettle from bed... Imagine all the time you're wasting going past the computer every time! And then of course if space allowed you could have the scenic route which went round the edge of Hampstead Heath. For procrastinating purposes :)

I have the weird floating people moments too...got a tiny room so whenever I wash shirts for work I have to hang them off the coving overnight to dry. It's like having an audience :eyepopping:

bex
20-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Ha ha ha this is true :chuckle:

The qualities of space and light en route aren't too inspiring either.

J.P
20-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I reckon a glass mezzanine would do it.

bex
20-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Oh just think a whole other level to store bike crap on, the mind boggles :eyepopping:

revver
20-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Bex you missed one other path BOG well i hope you forgot. House is overrun with homebrew and have done the same with wetsuit hanging in hallways only it was a family of ghosts.
I have a garage and a shed and if i need to do something its like musical bikes. Got name down for another garage so i can get more junk.

bex
20-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Got name down for another garage so i can get more junk.

I likes your aspirations! :thumbsup:

the_adam
20-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Dangerous thing to start on, I used to know someone that actually rented a separate "mess-room" in a shared house as well as having a full bedroom and keeping things in storage. You could barely open the door to get in :eyepopping:

bex
20-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes not long ago I couldn't get in my front door because a big pile of card and foam board and strips of mdf had fallen over in the cave when I'd gone out... I had to lie on the floor outside the door and poke a ruler under the door until the stuff moved enough that I could force my way in ha ha ha its even funnier now that I've written it down :chuckle:

Saint aka ML
20-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Yes not long ago I couldn't get in my front door because a big pile of card and foam board and strips of mdf had fallen over in the cave when I'd gone out... I had to lie on the floor outside the door and poke a ruler under the door until the stuff moved enough that I could force my way in ha ha ha its even funnier now that I've written it down :chuckle:

Why would you have a ruler with you when you out of house?

bex
20-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm an architecture student its one of those things that always in my bag of course...! Your question should really be which of the many rulers did I use for the task lol

revver
20-01-2012, 04:31 PM
You'd be suprised at what random things ladies have in thier bags. I refuse to go in my wifes when she asks me to fetch something

Lima071
20-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Bex what do you build? Are you a dab hand at modelling with foam, ie if someone wanted a cast to make a mold for casting carbon fibre for single seat cowls?

bex
20-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Just models of buildings/landscape stuff/detailed facade studies and stuff, nothing particularly fancy.

I haven't done anything like what you suggest, though I'd like to... but probably the best way is a rough foam model to test with, then a cgi model developed from that, and and then get that 3d cut/3d printed for an accurate mould. I've got access to the machines to do that kind of stuff, but its not something I've dabbled in!

bex
20-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Ps. I know Pomp has done some hand mouldings for his nice bellypan creation.

manwithredbike
21-01-2012, 12:35 AM
bex, d'ye use any e-modelling packages? when i was last involved in the design end we were using autodesk with some really smart 3d modelling packages with full textured rendering and walk-throughs. i was on the m&e side so not really all that good at it but the architects produced some amazing stuff.
would certainly free up some space for more bike bits!

bex
21-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Hello, yeh absolutely, generally using a combination of Microstation with either Maxwell Render or 3D Studio Max and V-Ray.

Still got to have physical models to shove in critics faces though... :spin: Although it is kind of nicer to have something you can hold in your hands and study up close anyway.

Saint, sorry I've totally jacked your thread. :on: