PDA

View Full Version : What new bike for £8000?

singletrack
11-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I guess the Monster forum might not be the best place for this but some of you have other bikes, or even want a non-Ducati.
I used to have a BMW F650GS twin and sold it about a year ago. It was a lovely bike and, although not exciting, it was easy to commute on, easy to filter on and went plenty fast enough for me. I am thinking of getting another bike that I would be happy to leave parked in a college car park or in the town centre, that I can also do ROSPA training on and possibly also use as a blood bike for SERV next year. I already have the Monster will keep that but I don't want to use that every day. I have to make sure my short legs can reach the floor so it can't be too high and I don't want a bandit or Faser.
I was looking at a new 650GS but to get one with ABS and heated grips it is going to cost me the best part of 8 grand :on: ( I know I don't need ABS but my husband struggled to sell a BMW without it last year so I think I would always spec ABS on a BMW)? A second hand GS is a possibility but I haven't seen many for sale.
I was thinking of a new KTM 690 Duke. Good idea?
Do you have any other suggestions? ( polite ones please! )

uksurfer
11-01-2012, 07:07 PM
i got an R1 to shift on if you want something a bit quick?

I'll throw in delivery too :flag:

simon_g
11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
BMW have the "Sertao" version of the G650GS (single) out soon which has ABS & heated grips as standard and I think will be under the £6k mark. Pretty short for that sort of bike too, lower than a F650 anyway.

Versys might be worth a look, can get a new one for under £6k. Might be a bit tall.

Else I was really impressed with the new 700cc Hondas - NC700X does that adventure-lite thing well, weight is all low down, 78mpg claimed and 250 mile range. And you can store a helmet (or anything else that big) in the false tank. £5850 OTR is a bargain too, if I needed a commuter and was buying new it would be right up there.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/adventure/#!/nc700x/

(or, in lower NC700S form)
http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/naked/#!/nc700s/

walpole68
11-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Husqvarna nuda 900 some where between the gs and ktm

He11cat
11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
KTMs very tall if you have little legs :(

Small Clanger
11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Another vote for the BMW G650GS single. £5,300 basic with £900 for the comfort pack. Good re-sale and a mind-boggling range of, albeit expensive, but extremely well made and very practical goodies from Touratech.
www.bmwmotorrad.co.uk
www.touratech.co.uk

Nickj
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM

I think that you're underselling the long distance touring and adventure capibilities of the R1, Nick Sanders has dome some big trips on them.

Rally
11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
A nice new Triumph Scrambler or Bonnie would be my suggestion. Plenty of soul, good looks, economy and reliability these days. :thumbsup:

Mohawk
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I have a feeling that when riding for SERV you have to use their bike. Could be wrong though, might differ between the regions. Also I've had bikes lowered for me to use and the guy who does it reckons he could lower pretty much any bike I wanted to fit me so seat height needn't be an issue.

Loads of lovely bikes to choose from though, and it's great fun looking :) My OH loves his Triumph Street Triple R

Mr.Number
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Given the current economy id save my pennies and get a spot on M750.

uksurfer
11-01-2012, 08:46 PM
if i had all that cash to blow it would have to be the triumph 800 xc, it was my first choice when i bought the monster, loads and loads of bolt on goodies too :woot:

Thirdway
11-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Cheap insurance
Cruises through winter crud
Holds its value
Reliable as clockwork
Easy handling
Perfect commuter or around the world
Shaft drive
Crashes well with built in crash bungs
Frugal on fuel
Brilliant for carrying loads as it has built in panniers
Anonymous in public car parks
Great weather protection
ABS

Get a Honda Deauville, a mini Pan euro, what better for blood running. Quite boring but doesn't attract thieves or vandals.

A KTM 690 is a toy, great fun, attracts thieves like a magnet, high maintenance. Beautiful thing but highly strung, not as bad as they used to be, but still not a great commuter.

singletrack
11-01-2012, 10:11 PM

I'll throw in delivery too :flag:

Sorry Martin I can't ride a blue bike ;)

Simons -
The new single GS (Sertao) looks good but it looks like it will be too tall at 865mm. The original GS single may be ok though.

Mohawk - Wessex SERV allows you to use your own bike.

Walpole i guess the Husky will be much too big but will check.

Hellcat - the KTM isn't that tall (835 and the seat can be sculpted so it MAY be possible). I am going to test one in March.

Rally -a Bonnie - a good idea as long as there is not too much chrome to clean.

Mr Number, I have had plenty of old style Monsters. Time for something new.

But also some good ideas. I will look into the Tiger, Versys, Street Triple and That Honda thingy.

singletrack
11-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Cheap insurance
Cruises through winter crud
Holds its value
Reliable as clockwork
Easy handling
Perfect commuter or around the world
Shaft drive
Crashes well with built in crash bungs
Frugal on fuel
Brilliant for carrying loads as it has built in panniers
Anonymous in public car parks
Great weather protection
ABS

Get a Honda Deauville, a mini Pan euro, what better for blood running. Quite boring but doesn't attract thieves or vandals.

A KTM 690 is a toy, great fun, attracts thieves like a magnet, high maintenance. Beautiful thing but highly strung, not as bad as they used to be, but still not a great commuter.

I know you are right but I didn't want to hear it. I don't think I can bring myself to buy a Deauville :hissy:

damien666
11-01-2012, 11:50 PM
My money would be on the new mv agusta brutale 675. They look lush, and a screaming triple of an engine for good measure. Wish i had some spare pennies!

neilo
12-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Kawasaki ER6-F? Actually either the faired or unfaired version seem to fit all your requirements?... I'm sure you'd be able to get a faired ABS version for well under £6k new.

It's comfortable, reliable, fun to ride, has an 805mm seat height, and just enough power to put a smile on your face.

Gilps
12-01-2012, 07:16 AM
A mate of mine took delivery of a Triumph Tiger 800 last year and really rates it highly. He's had an optinal lower seat added, plus I think he's had it lowered too.

slipperyweeguy
12-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Triumphs
Fair bit of cleaning on the bonneville variants that have wire wheels, and finish is a bit scabby, but I would have another one. Genuinely pleasant to own and use. Seat low, but they are not the lightest things to push around.
Street triples really good road bikes.
Values holding up well on Triumphs just now.

Kato
12-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Anne how about an aprilia shiver great little 750 for well under 8k

J.P
12-01-2012, 07:40 AM
What about a Fazer 800, the Tiger 800 and the BMW GS something.
All will be comfortable on longer journeys, great for commuting

Kato
12-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Whenever we get a thread like this it never fail to amaze me that people bring a BMW of one sort or another to the table ....I just don't get it.... my experience of all things BM 2 or 4 wheeled leads me to the conclusion that you'd get more fun and enjoyment chopping your own legs off with a blunt instrument whilst shoving burning coals up your butt.....a big fat NO to BMW they are S%&T

Thirdway
12-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I know you are right but I didn't want to hear it. I don't think I can bring myself to buy a Deauville :hissy:

I know, I know. But you have the Monster for fun times. The Deauville is seriously underrated.

I'm thinking of what I would leave in a college car park....a mate of mine lost his Yam XS650 to a gang of Hells Angels that sold it for a few ounces of weed. It was locked with a big strong chain.

A KTM is just a perfect thieves magnet, as a Street Triples and as for a Brutale 675 :fou::fou:

The ER6 is quite a good bike, but it's chain drive, so maintenance is high. The BMW 800 is belt drive, but again, it's not exactly an ignored bike. TDM 900 isn't a bad option, but again it is chain drive.

Nope, if it was me, the it would be the Honda. I would bite the bullet and hide the Ego. When you think about it, it is quite a rare bike. You could consider your bucking the trend and being very individual.

After all it stil has 2 wheels and a V Twin engine. It's also incredibly comfortable and is quite a quick and sweet handling bike. It's just not exciting.....but neither is a 650 BMW and its quicker than that.

Go and try one. Doesn't cost anything to have a blast. It would be good for someone to give it a thorough road test and report back as magazines rarely bother with it.

Another option: my mate bought a GSR 750, it looks the part and will be bulletproof. Nice engine. Still would have nightmares parked up at a college though.