PDA

View Full Version : 1st Track Day

Small Clanger
07-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Now that I've decided to have a go at a TD I could use some advice as I have many questions, cheers. :)

A "novice only" day with Club MSV at either Cadwell, Oulton or Snetterton looks favourite, any other recommendations?
I've just bought some Dainese zip-together leathers and I have a gold-stickered Shoei, some good boots and a back protector so no probs there.
As far as the bike goes, I'm putting the baffles back in and I can take the mirrors off but do I need to tape over the headlights/indicators and should I blank off the speedo?

I've done twenty-odd thousand miles on GS12's on RoadSmarts and I have loads of confidence in them on dry or wet roads/twisty bits/motorways. Would it be a good idea to stick some fresh SportSmarts onto the Evo before the event? i.e. one less thing to worry about. I've read bad reveiws of the Pirelli's, especially in the wet.

Club MSV also do tuition, the Rider Development Programe, is that a good idea? or is it just a case of practice and confidence?

I'm not made of money but I rather like this bike and I'm quite attached to my limbs too. If the tuition is worth the money, the fresh tyres make life easier and some free advice from track-day veterans keeps it real, then that's fine by me.

:flag:

Twentytoo
07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi, I've done a few so here goes:

I've been on a novice day (to get on track when I'd already done a few). They are fine although don't expect everyone to be a slouch. As the day goes on there will be some 'fast' riders. Indeed you may be one of them! Enthusiast days are the best track days. The 2011 UKMOC is a good example. There is respect there and like minded bikers with the same passion. This mutual respect makes for very good days.
Bike. Baffles are a good idea if they noise test. If they don't I'd leave them out. I never tape the speedo...or anything. I do take the mirrors off which gets rid of the glass on the bike. I always lower my tyre pressures and check my bike over the day before. You wouldn't want to spend £150 on track day and turn up with no brake pads left!
I currently run Sportsmart. I have done loads of tack days on Pirellis. You'll be fine on Roadsmarts....unless you are WSBK material. If its wet? I had my fill of wet track days in 2007 and it won't matter what tyre you're on if you are on your pride and joy it will not be enjoyable. I just can't see the point of finding the wet limit of the tyres. I did a Ron Haslam track day in 2006 and it was very wet. It was the fastest I've ever gone on a track day in the wet and I know it was just because I wasn't limited by the thought of trashing the bike...forgetting my body is more important!
Tuition....Not sure I'd pay for it unless you have aspirations to go further. No Limits and Focused events have instructors that will follow you for a few laps and give you some tips. Then, for you first time you can just go and have some fun. I'd say the more important thing here is take notice of the correct lines on the sighting laps and then hold these lines each lap.....and look where you want to go...

Hope this helps..have a good time and remember its about enjoyment and it's not a race.....or put another way your livelyhood depends on your safe return home and not being the fastest on track

Twentytoo
07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
One more point, I wouldn't do Cadwell just get. It technical. As a cautious fellow I always like to be 'sighted' around corners. Cadwell has some unsighted corners and a few other surprises. I'm rubbish there!

dunlop0_1
07-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Have at look at Oulton on 18/02 with No limits. Me and Louise will be there and more than welcome to help out.
PM for more details.

Small Clanger
08-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks for that, I've been to Oulton at a VSCC meeting, nice place.
18th Feb is a bit early for me, I work seven days per week through the winter, probably 'til mid March, so Snetterton/21-3 will be the one I aim for.

Also, I broke my thumb just before Christmas and that's going to be strapped up for another few weeks. :thumbsdown:

And it's still a bit cold! I work up in the dales or out on the moors on barn conversions etc. so I'm out in all weathers and usually freezing my nuts off.
Wet and windy circuits, no ta.:mand:

I realise that if you wait for the weather in this country nothing would ever get done but I'd prefer to wait a few more weeks.

Cheers.
Off to work now, finishing off a nice oak-framed garage overlooking a meadow by the River Nidd. Scenic but frosty this morning.

BigOz
08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi,

My 696 was on Roadsmarts at the UKMOC trackday last year and they were no problems with more than enough grip to run right to the edge of the rubber on the rear.

Regards,

Andy

Zimbo
08-01-2012, 10:19 AM
My advice would be to pick a relatively simple track to start with (Oulton is very hard to learn at first, Cadwell is better but still technical if riding fast, Snetterton very fast in places and very flat with few references). My personal recommendation would be Mallory, followed by Cadwell.
Tyres - you'll need to be fairly fast to overwhelm the tyres you have in the dry, if you feel inclined to "press on" hard then sticky tyres will give extra confidence. It's likely there will be tyres and fitting available at the track day, check with the organiser.
Bike prep - make sure it's fairly well together, remove mirrors. Tape over speedo is good, it's tempting to have a quick look at it on track and a moment's distraction can cause a crash! Taping over headlamp is recommended but not essential, helps stop broken glass going onto the circuit. Pay attention to suspension settings, and tyre pressures (they will need to be lower for the track, around 30 / 30 should work well). Crash bungs are a good idea, limits the potential for damage should a crash happen.
I wouldn't bother with additional tuition at first, get used to the circuit and speed / corners first, then try getting some tuition once you know which way the corners go and where to brake and turn in for each one.
Finally, don't panic! It's unlikely you'll be the slowest rider there, just go at a pace you're comfortable with, use the track day instructors for hints and tips, and have fun!

Flip
08-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Another little point worth noting is Club MSV put cones out for turn in and apex points so it's worth an ask before booking to see if whoever you think of going with do the same.

Remember, the organisers are there to help (they want you back to stay in business after all) and will help if you have questions even if it's 'Can you tell me where the toilets are please?...first track day....one piece leathers ...a potential toilet nightmare!!

phil996
08-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Try one of the Bike Magazine reclaim the tracks days. Road bikes only which makes for a less intimidating enviroment. I believe the first one this year is Cadwell on the 17th April

Phatty
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Looking to get into trackdays myself. Done a fair few in cars but never on a bike. I don't really ride with other people either so it's hard for me to judge how quick or slow I am on the roads.

Some good advice there guys, hope to see some of you out on track this year. I'll be the guy with the van in Gulf colours. Dunno what bike yet but obviously a Ducati of some sort.

MonstaChicky
10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
How fast you are on the roads doesn't correlate exactly with how fast you'll be on track! Take off mirrors definitely...you do NOT want to see behind you. When I did them on my road bike I taped up all lights, etc. Lower tyre pressures...ask the tyre guy at the circuit for advice, they're very helpful. Make sure you're gloves are up to scratch, with decent knuckle protection. Take plenty of fluids and some nosh like bananas or flapjacks...dehydration kicks in without you noticing and will impair your reaction times. In my opinion it's worth getting the free tuition you get with most TDOs, even if it's just to show you the lines. Lines are what make you smoother. If it's wet...your call...most people stay in the garages if it's chucking it down! I personally love wet-riding as it seems to be the only time I'm up the front of inters! The more you hang off in the wet, the less lean you need. Take fuel, some tracks sell it on site, many don't, but it's always expensive. If you're going in a van, do NOT forget your bike keys!!! (sounds dumb but you'd be amazed how many people do!)

Anyway...the most important thing is to have fun! TDs are the most fun you can have with leathers on...a fantastic way to get to know your machine without oncoming traffic or unexpected potholes! You won't be the slowest (especially if it's a novice only day) and you won't be the quickest.

Oh and one more thing. You'd better make good friends with your bank manager...cos TDs are addictive!

Mand
10-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Loads of ace advice there, especially track 'vetarens' like.dunlop and zimbo :p

Now... A monster track would be fantastic again

Small Clanger
10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh and one more thing. You'd better make good friends with your bank manager...cos TDs are addictive!

It's not the bank manager I'm worried about. It's the wife! No sooner had I booked Snetterton/RDP L1 than she'd booked herself a week in Italy.

Loads of excellent track day advice and encouragement :thumbsup: Can't wait!

Re. tyre pressures, Dunlop tech have told me (based on SportSmarts with the recommended road t/p 36.2F-32.6R) to use 30.0F and 28.0R when track is dry and 34.0 F&R in the wet.

dunlop0_1
10-01-2012, 08:29 PM
It's not the bank manager I'm worried about. It's the wife! No sooner had I booked Snetterton/RDP L1 than she'd booked herself a week in Italy.

Loads of excellent track day advice and encouragement :thumbsup: Can't wait!

Re. tyre pressures, Dunlop tech have told me (based on SportSmarts with the recommended road t/p 36.2F-32.6R) to use 30.0F and 28.0R when track is dry and 34.0 F&R in the wet.

Tyre pressures sound good to me.

Another thing is, if someone does cut you up or p1ss you off then go and complain. Unfortunately is does happen from time to time that you get a complete kn0b in your group. After talking to many and knowing a senior instructor very well people seem to leave it to the end of the day to say something when it's to late.
People are there to help so use them. As Mand say's take the free tuition and ask other people what they think and draw your own conclusions. If you feel tired miss a session, I don't think I have ever done a full day yet because going home in one piece is more important and how numpty would you be if fell off because you where tired!
Afford everyone else the same space you would expect for yourself and have
FUN FUN FUN.

J.P
11-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Small Clanger,
You're right there is plenty of advice here that's very usuful. NOTHING is gospel, take it as guidance rather than something you should rigidly follow because the track, bike, you, tyres, weather all makes a difference.

Monstachicky is right, Trackdays can be addictive, I did 7 the first year I started riding, (2007) and followed that with 8 in 2008, and carried on from there.

Your tyre pressure advice from Dunlop Tech is spot on.
The advice to do the 'Reclaim our Track' days through Ride Magazine are really perfect because you HAVE to ride to the track on your bike and ride home. So everyone is a little more careful which makes everyone relax a little more, and they're very good value, if I were you, I'd book all of those this year.

Bike prep has been mentioned but it's guidance. You don't have to do anything at all if you don't want. You will probably get noise tested so put the baffles in before you leave home. You can tape up the glass if you like as a precaution. I actually never tape my mirrors because I do like to see what's behind me before I dive into a corner.

Most of all Trackdays are great fun, just remember you'll get at least five 20 minute sessions on the track, assuming there are no stopages, that means you've got plenty of time to build your confidence after session 2 or 3, it's not a race to be the expert the first time out. I've seen nervous wrecks in the paddocks for their first session turn into confident, happy riders by the end of the day, every time I've been.

The track tuition is more about track positioning and racing line rather than specifically teaching you track technique. You can always ask to follow one of the guys round later in the day. The California Superbike School and the Ron Haslam School are the best places for learning that.

As for tracks, Snetterton, Mallory are pretty nice and flat and easy to get used to as a novice. Cadwell & Oulton Park are wonderful but much more technical with track positioning and dips & crests so you can always leave that till a little later.

Have fun, if you need any more advice let us know, but from all the comments from everyone above you'll be more than covered.

Small Clanger
29-01-2012, 06:01 PM
So.......the half-price Dainese leathers I bought have been to Speedsport in Hull www.pwrleathers.com to be made to fit a bit better (I'm 6'5" and scrawny) Top job and cheap too.
I bought a trailer from www.trailers.co.uk and collected it from their agent in Blackburn, just over the Pennines. Got some 6'x2' chequerplates and I've been cutting/shaping/painting/fitting that, these form decks on either side of the rail so I can ride her up and put my feet down. Also bought a www.bumpstop.co.uk so I can easily load/tie down the beastie.
Crash bobbins are on, hopefully they won't be tested!
All I need now is some decent weather to be able to get out on t'bike.:thumbsup: