PDA

View Full Version : Wind damage?

Kameloil
06-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Do you think it's possible that a bike with a bike cover on could be moved by the recent wind? Am I fooling myself? The bike has moved a half revolution and the disk lock has broken the front guard.

Mother nature or mother f***er?

utopia
06-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Unlikely, I would have thought.
Maybe the wind could blow it over sideways, but I wouldn't have thought there'd be enough sail area to move it forward or back.
If it moved forward then it would have fallen off the sidestand anyway.
Maybe the wind has blown it over and some helpful soul has picked it up....but you'd think there would be other signs of that.
Is the steering lock still intact ? I would have thought a thief would have smashed that too.
But safest to suspect foul play

Kameloil
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
No other obvious damage but even the fender is going to cost £120 and two weeks plus to replace. I'm hoping numpty hasn't managed to put any undue pressure on the forks or ABS mechanism. Looks like they've tried to wheel it off and decided its not going to work out for them and legged it. Now I'm left wondering if they're coming back for another go?

Time to invest in a large stick methinks.

J.P
06-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Better find something to chain it to

bex
06-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I know Bud who comes on here sometimes had his whole bike blow over a couple of nights ago... so entirely possible. Whether the wind would try and tamper with the disc lock is another question...

Saint aka ML
06-01-2012, 10:19 AM
You had bike with bike cover so YES. Last batch of winds about two months ago flipped over a scooter of my mate and at the same time it twisted the position SS was parked in. That wind was not as strong as what we had here last couple of nights.

Bike cover is the sail you need

mintyhit
06-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I was a little concerned about my bike going over the other night, for entertainment purposes here is a short story I sent to my housemate about what happend when I went to secure it :

...I looked out of my window at one point to see my bike cover flapping around like a mentalist. I had a sudden image of it detaching itself and acting like some obscene fleeced sail intent on throwing my bike into the ditch or through the kitchen window so I made the decision to go out and secure it. I looked around blurry eyed for an item of clothing to throw on and found my old dressing gown, the one with the missing tie thing. “Sod it” I thought and went out anyway holding the gown closed, unfortunately I shortly realised that I needed both hands to secure the bike cover… the instant I let go of my dressing gown it flew open and shot up like a superman cape exposing me, stark bollock naked to the entire street at 2am. I can only hope that everyone was asleep.

Funkatronic
06-01-2012, 11:08 AM
its possible the wind would move it, but more likley its been moved by someone or clipped by a car

Thirdway
06-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Reminds me of an experiment as a teenager.

I was cycle touring in the Yorkshire Dales and on the road between Ingleton and Hawes.

The road pretty much runs in one direction and the wind was blowing strongly at our backs.

After a stop I had the daft idea that I might be able to make a sail out of a cagoule. My Mates were killing themselves laughing at me tying it the bike and creating a makeshift mast out of a stick.

It actually worked very well until the road turned away from the wind direction. I managed to hit top gear in a matter of yards and was unable to pedal fast enough to increase the speed. I was fit back then and raced regularly so to get beyond pedalling speed indicated a speed of around 50 on the flat. Pretty impressive. Of course they use the same propulsion system in sand racers.

I reckon it could easily move a motorcycle under a cover.

neilo
06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
We were hit by 100mph winds on Wednesday night. Certainly enough to move/tip a bike over, especially if it has a wind/water-proof cover on.

Thankfully I've got a garage...so my bike was safe.

I woke up in the morning to find two fence panels and a flower pot that weighs around 20Kg some 50 metres down the road...

Gutsy
06-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I was a little concerned about my bike going over the other night, for entertainment purposes here is a short story I sent to my housemate about what happend when I went to secure it :

...I looked out of my window at one point to see my bike cover flapping around like a mentalist. I had a sudden image of it detaching itself and acting like some obscene fleeced sail intent on throwing my bike into the ditch or through the kitchen window so I made the decision to go out and secure it. I looked around blurry eyed for an item of clothing to throw on and found my old dressing gown, the one with the missing tie thing. “Sod it” I thought and went out anyway holding the gown closed, unfortunately I shortly realised that I needed both hands to secure the bike cover… the instant I let go of my dressing gown it flew open and shot up like a superman cape exposing me, stark bollock naked to the entire street at 2am. I can only hope that everyone was asleep.

PMSL - are you an author? Perhaps you could use that as a second income to fund your Ducati dreams!! Well done - you made my day!

Sirc
06-01-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm guessing that fender damage done by moving bike forward? If so then highly likely that human intervention took place as bike would have flopped off the sidestand if it had moved forward 'on it's own' (as has been said).

Re: wind/motorbikes, I count myself lucky yesterday as I parked up around two hours after this in Woking :- http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57726000/jpg/_57726010_86902.jpg

utopia
06-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm guessing that fender damage done by moving bike forward?

That was my first thought, but on reflection the disc lock would have fouled the caliper before it reached the fender if the bike had moved forward.
So that leaves moving backwards, which would need to both overcome the extra drag from the sidestand (which I thought was unlikely), and probably would have caused the bike to fall over anyway, unless you were extremely lucky with the wind direction.

gary tompkins
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Do you think it's possible that a bike with a bike cover on could be moved by the recent wind? Am I fooling myself? The bike has moved a half revolution and the disk lock has broken the front guard.

Mother nature or mother f***er?

Ask yourself this... If a gust of wind is capable of felling a healthy tree weighing tons, do you really think it would have much difficulty shifting a bike weighing a few hundred pounds?

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/05/article-1325804889946-0F574F4B00000578-22643_466x310.jpg

Sirc
06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't know how the disc lock was applied Utopia hence the question - if you have worked out it was rear travel then yes, wind powered movement is possible!

Kameloil
06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Utopia is right it was moved backwards. The disk lock was fixed at the lower most point on the wheel and has travelled clockwise round until it connected with the fender strut. Jammed up against it and cracked it vertically. The new cover was pulled up around the front wheel and the hockey puck side stand thingy 5 metres away. Id be surprised if the bike could be dragged backwards by wind with the side stand down, the steering lock on and not a scratch anywhere else. All a bit odd but i'm buying a big f-off chain just in case.

He11cat
06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I was oblivious to the wind .. I feel terrible as someone did a mission for me in that weather and rode 2 hours for me in the call for clean cloths .. There's only so many times. You can turn yer pants . I don't do dirty undercrackers.. Idiots failed to tell me I only just found out that I'd had calls to see if I was ok ..
I could have left a note for a nearer person..
I honestly did not know the state of play .. I'd never have dreamed to let someone ride a bike in those. Conditions.

Dressing gown incident pmsl .. All I could think about was The red hot chilli peppers photo with the socks .. That would have been a good back up plan ..

I got worried the next day as next door has this stupid tree I've told them about .
In the snow last year I got up to find it bent over just missing my bike by inches and I politely told them to sort it out please..

Where do you stand on such things?
Say wind blew your bike over or tree hit it ?
Is it still act of god?

Like next door .. A new tank decals and paint for Hector .. Over a grand to sort !!
And as it happened twice and they chose to ignore me .. I'd dam well pursue it!

He11cat
06-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I love trees btw .. I'm also a bit of a stormwatcher nerd and have alerts usually and love extreme weather but not when it messes with my bikes :)
oh it may be my active imagination but I recall a story told to me of someone here on realising bike was trying to be stolen leapt out of their house butt naked with a sword?? Or something....
Don't try that if it's a girl tea leaf .
I got flashed at and fell about laughing my grandmother also pointed out she had seen bigger and better then that .. Poor guy was shot down in flames.