PDA

View Full Version : False Neutrals ?

39sl
02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Hi

New guy here again....posted couple of months ago about buying Monster Evo and here we are now with lovely red monster in garage...decided the red was indeed faster than the black lol

Went out today for good ride and regularly found couple of mighty false neutrals when down shifting from 4 to 3 and 3 to 2....is it me or is it normal. There is a part of me that just says 'grab it by the balls and kick down a little harder' but just checking I'm not suffering from a known problem

Also, anyone got a set of termignoni's for the EVO that want to sell....already feel the need to make it LOUDER :)

Cheers
Steve

PS. Happy New Year

Rally
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Steve,
I would suggest youdo kick it down a bit harder as it isn't a problem I have read about before. They are a bit tight when new, maybe a bit of WD40 or oil on the linkage may help as well. If it pursists after 1000 miles, I would ask the dealer to look at it.
Good luck.

Lima071
02-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Steve,
I would suggest youdo kick it down a bit harder as it isn't a problem I have read about before. They are a bit tight when new, maybe a bit of WD40 or oil on the linkage may help as well. If it pursists after 1000 miles, I would ask the dealer to look at it.
Good luck.

WD is water displacement not lube, and will tighten the joint.

Capo
02-01-2012, 11:05 PM
WD is water displacement not lube, and will tighten the joint.

WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

The Red Devil
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

I take it you are a fan of WD then Capo? lol:chuckle:

The Red Devil
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi

New guy here again....posted couple of months ago about buying Monster Evo and here we are now with lovely red monster in garage...decided the red was indeed faster than the black lol

Went out today for good ride and regularly found couple of mighty false neutrals when down shifting from 4 to 3 and 3 to 2....is it me or is it normal. There is a part of me that just says 'grab it by the balls and kick down a little harder' but just checking I'm not suffering from a known problem

Also, anyone got a set of termignoni's for the EVO that want to sell....already feel the need to make it LOUDER :)

Cheers
Steve

PS. Happy New Year

I had a few falsies when running my bike in... was mainly down to shifting too gently.. not had any since though.... good luck with the exhausts search... im considering converting mine to a high level system from HP Course... just waiting for some info on the headers from them at the mo.. they are also developing a system for the evo in next 3 months according to a email i got from them in reply to a query.. good luck on your evo...if in doubt push the lever harder!!:chuckle:

neilo
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I've had 3-4 false neutrals over the 2400mls I've done on my evo, and on every occasion it has been due to me not moving the gear lever with sufficient conviction...so I don't think it's a design flaw. Keep an eye on it and let us know if it gets any worse.

Lima071
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Capo, many thanks for the sales brochure from http://www.wd40.co.uk/faq.aspx and everyone here is free to have their own opinion, and so here is mine. Don't believe what it says on the tin, as I have used it in the past for quick fixes. The last time was on a Worcester boiler to ease off the fan, but I did explain to the owner that this was a short term fix due to the properties of the oil. It lasted 3 days before seizing again, at which time the manufacturer was attending the fault. Whilst working on aircraft for 16 years I only ever used WD for the WD properties due to the limited amount of time between applications.

Martin C
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Have you adjusted the gear lever position to suit your foot? After buying my M900 (off eBay!) I originally hated the up-change action, which was far worse than my ancient Moto Guzzi! After a while, I bought a pair of new, thicker boots with reinforcement pads on top that reduced the lever-to-boot clearance, and discovered the up-changes were fine. I then adjusted the lever to get the same effect, and kicked myself for not thinking of it before. You may have a similar problem with lever clearance in the opposite direction.

Nickj
03-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Don't I remember that the stuff is built around a long(ish) chain polymer, so you spray it on the polymers grab the suface and get cut to pieces once it starts moving.
It also can do some cool insulating tricks

Nickj
04-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Go for some adjustment first, as Martin notes above it makes a difference. I've just got some new boots and I keep missing gears especially when I'm just tottling around as I guess I'm being a bit more gentle. Get more serious and more stompy and it goes away

39sl
04-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I'll have a look at adjusting the lever position and see how I fair with that...appreciate the help and the deep dive into the seemingly murky world of water displacement ;)

The Red Devil
04-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I'll have a look at adjusting the lever position and see how I fair with that...appreciate the help and the deep dive into the seemingly murky world of water displacement ;)

Ureka!! :idea:

Capo
04-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Apart from the pivot, the movement in the linkage is via heim joints that require no lubrication, (they are also present in the shock absorber and ride height adjuster).

With regard to lubricants, it is all about suitability.
WD40 is a lubricant (contains 15% mineral oil) but would you put it in your engine? of course not its not designed for that. Rather the other ingredients penetrate and carry this lubricant to places where a 'normal' lubricant would not reach, the intent being to provide lubrication to aid disassembly of the components.

WD40 recorded sales of $327 million in 2011 (for all its products) so there are a lot of people who seem to be happy with what is says on the tin.

I'm not a fan of it, I find it is not as good a penetrant as I would expect, no better than 'Plus Gas', any lubricant qualities disappear after time (after all the lubricant is only 15%). But none the less a lubricant it is.

WD40 has multiple uses, technology has improved the qualities of dedicated penetrants that make them much more effective in this application, I expect nanotechnology will improve this still further.

I use Gibbs Brand, which until recently could not be packaged in aerosol form as it would penetrate past the valve.

Apparently a mixture of acetone and brake fluid works well.

Things must have changed in the aero industry, when I was 'involved' ( I held a FAA A&P license) NOTHING went on an aircraft unless it was approved for the application by the aircraft manufacturer and was also FAA approved.