PDA

View Full Version : public transport!!

Saint aka ML
20-12-2011, 06:18 PM
So as I have to use public transport fir a bit I started doing the math.
Weekly ticket zone 1-4 is 40GBP so that makes it 160 a month or 1920 a year. Yes you get extra benefit of having a ticket if you go drinking. That is it shopping you still need taxi, car or bike. Going to Brighton during summer extra ticket and so on.

Bike.
Insurance for two 525 a year.
Petrol to work 70GBP a month or 840 a year split amongst two bikes. With my mileage I need set of tyres a year so extra 220 per bike. Now with two bikes need two sets but every 2 years. I did 6.5k a year with one bike including days out not including touring.
Road tax is 130 a year so 65 a bike. Service is about 400 as me do it. MOT 70 for two.
So math per bike per year (lets assume I only have one bike).
Insurance 450 (for 1 bike as I checked)
Petrol 840
Tyres 220
Road tax 65
Service 200
MOT 35
Total: 1810.
With bike you get benefits like trip to Brighton for price of petrol, much less then ticket and you can go shopping.
So bike is 1810 for commute (less if only commute as set of three would be for 2 years) and public transport is 1920.
I was under impression public means cheaper???

So what do you do on train to work as I am bored?

Paivi
20-12-2011, 06:47 PM
If you commute regularly, you'll buy an annual ticket, not weekly ones.

Every time I take public transport to work, it's £80 return; on the bike, it's about a tenner a week all inclusive.

bex
20-12-2011, 07:09 PM
On the tube this week as I have a flat tyre and not had time to sort it yet.

I spend my time developing major tube rage, that seems to prolong the journey however.

Nickj
20-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I was under impression public means cheaper??? LOL Surely you jest!!
I thought it meant a bit manky and rather like public conveniences sometimes a bit smelly.

From where I am the 26 miles to work takes either 2 buses and a train ride or 3 buses. It also takes a minimum of 2 3/4 hours. Plus a minute late and you miss the regular (half hourly maybe) service I'd have to start with.
Bike is cheaper to start with plus factor in my going rate for stuff I do at home which starts at £40/hr, when I feel like it I can get home crack of an hour or twos work, sate my blood lust online and have time to catch the news and still get to bed before midnight.
Not much of a contest really

Nickj
20-12-2011, 07:13 PM

I spend my time developing major tube rage, that seems to prolong the journey however.

Only because you are repressing the rage hun.... Go postal and it will feel so much better :mand:

Grumpy
20-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Are you becoming a puncture junkie!!:mand::banghead:

Scotty
20-12-2011, 07:45 PM
umm you could factor in purchase price of bike leathers etc to make public transport cost seem a bit more favourable

however the twice the time to get anywhere by public transport will always put me off it , how much is your time worth ~:?

if i really wanted to save money id use push-bike

bex
20-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Are you becoming a puncture junkie!!

So it seems. I assure you its not a hobby. :banghead:

Pomp1
20-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I spend my time developing major tube rage
Also known as Commuters Tourette

Saint aka ML
20-12-2011, 08:55 PM
If you commute regularly, you'll buy an annual ticket, not weekly ones.

Every time I take public transport to work, it's £80 return; on the bike, it's about a tenner a week all inclusive.

Paivi I have calculated based on monthly. Monthly is 4x weekle which gives 28 days. All other days in month are free. That is the discount.

Saint aka ML
20-12-2011, 09:17 PM
umm you could factor in purchase price of bike leathers etc to make public transport cost seem a bit more favourable

however the twice the time to get anywhere by public transport will always put me off it , how much is your time worth ~:?

if i really wanted to save money id use push-bike

But you can not resale the tube ticket after it was used however if you buy a cheap bike for commute you will not loose that much on resale value.

Even with that I would disagree.

Cheap peugeot scooter is about 600. Tyres are about 110 for two years (still my commute). Road tax 16GBP, MOT 35, Service 150-200, Petrol no idea but would guess half of my cost.

Insurance 350 (mind you lowest quote I got was 200 as a new starter :D) TPFT
Scooter 600
Gear 250
Tyres 55 (for 2 years so 55 a year)
Road Tax 16
Service 200
MOT 35

Total: 1500 so still cheaper and you get to resell the scoot even as recycled metal if needed. You make a saving in 1st year alone that you could spend (part of it) on proper winter gear.

Rally
20-12-2011, 09:59 PM
So it seems. I assure you its not a hobby. :banghead:

All those punctures, Too much kurb crawling me thinks! :rolleyes:

He11cat
20-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Public transport cheap? Pmsl.... My ticket to London for the day as i've got to dash down for a day booked in advance £90 .. Because I have to be there before 10 . Hmm it used to cost me £15 !!! then £35 .. Chances of a seat ho ho ho !!!!
£90 to sit in a filthy corridor by the bogs .. Public transport is a massive joke.
The trip home at night probably worse and full of drunk office party swingers..

It's cheaper for me to drive!!! Only reason I'm not is it's a faster journey on train.
If they want you to use public transport they need to make it cheaper and not like travelling in a towerblock lift/ toilet .. For the stupid amount it's costing me at least give me a seat!!!

Kameloil
20-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Coming up to 6 years commuting for an hour plus each way.

as for what to do, try reading your book until stupid conversation next to you drives you to distraction. Then join the rest of us and plug into your iTunes. Soon you will be downloading comedy podcasts, checking facebook and reading this forum to get you through the journey everyday ;)

gary tompkins
20-12-2011, 11:13 PM
So as I have to use public transport fir a bit I started doing the math.
Weekly ticket zone 1-4 is 40GBP so that makes it 160 a month or 1920 a year. Yes you get extra benefit of having a ticket if you go drinking. That is it shopping you still need taxi, car or bike. Going to Brighton during summer extra ticket and so on.

Bike.
Insurance for two 525 a year.
Petrol to work 70GBP a month or 840 a year split amongst two bikes. With my mileage I need set of tyres a year so extra 220 per bike. Now with two bikes need two sets but every 2 years. I did 6.5k a year with one bike including days out not including touring.
Road tax is 130 a year so 65 a bike. Service is about 400 as me do it. MOT 70 for two.
So math per bike per year (lets assume I only have one bike).
Insurance 450 (for 1 bike as I checked)
Petrol 840
Tyres 220
Road tax 65
Service 200
MOT 35
Total: 1810.
With bike you get benefits like trip to Brighton for price of petrol, much less then ticket and you can go shopping.
So bike is 1810 for commute (less if only commute as set of three would be for 2 years) and public transport is 1920.
I was under impression public means cheaper???

So what do you do on train to work as I am bored?

You seem to have left out the cost of accident repairs :dizzy:

Saint aka ML
21-12-2011, 04:31 AM
You seem to have left out the cost of accident repairs :dizzy:

Well on my bike I did but as I use it for fun as well then I would put it down to fun of rebuilding it.

On that scooter I would not worry, how expensive can it get?
For real if you are very lucky with hours/car park at work you could commute by car and it would be cheaper. Unless you have to pay congestion charge a gus guzzling car would still be cheaper. If only CC was removed I do not see any sain person using a train.

Trent
21-12-2011, 05:40 AM
A couple of geezers came down from somewhere near Grimsby on Monday to see me... they showed me their return (not 1st class) tickets... £220 each... :eek:

If they come down again they'll drive...

slob
21-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Don't forget half the tube network is shut for maintenance on a weekend, removing a chunk of potential benefit from your Oyster card.
The biggest thing for me is I can get to or from work in ~30 mins on a bike or ~1 hour by train, so 5 hours of my own time, effectively given unpaid to my boss, each week is a hidden cost (although I can read on the train, which I can't on the bike)

MrsC_772
21-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I had 12 years commuting on the train into London every day.
3 1/2 hours per day spent in total on the commute.
Over £3k per year for the annual season ticket (not including tube - I gave up the tube and started walking round London instead after an epiphany on Oxford Circus tube station platform when the 4th packed train went through with no room to get on, and rapidly realised life's too short for this!)

You will always find Rammstein on my MP3 player - it's about the only thing that can drown out the snifflers, snorers, loud yakkers on mobile phones, howling babies etc. who infest train carriages. Earplugs (either my custom made bike ones or cheapy green disposables) were never sufficient.

I also used the time to read - boring work related journals which I needed to read, and if time left over, newspapers and the odd book I wanted to read.

I took voluntary redundancy from that job at the end of May, and found a job much closer to home (albeit on less than half my previous salary).

Now my commute is about 25 minutes door to door on the Monster. Even with the rain, and having to filter through traffic jams, I wouldn't trade it for the old commute!

Paivi
21-12-2011, 06:42 PM
A couple of geezers came down from somewhere near Grimsby on Monday to see me... they showed me their return (not 1st class) tickets... £220 each... :eek:

If they come down again they'll drive...
Gotta be worth it just to get out of Grimsby...

Nickj
21-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Now my commute is about 25 minutes door to door on the Monster. Even with the rain, and having to filter through traffic jams, I wouldn't trade it for the old commute!

It is odd, if it rained and when I had the big or baby blade I didn't like it.
Do the same on the monster and I get in or home cold and damp but smiling.