PDA

View Full Version : Why do we Mod?

littlejimmy12
14-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Arguement last night with the girlfriend who could not understand why I am taking my bike to pieces again!

The list is endless..I like shiny clean bits of metal....talking rubbish with fellow forum member who helps out sometimes...drinking lots of tea and listening to the radio. Oh and the main reason I love to make something that is individual and special that other people admire. This gives me a huge sense of fullfillment.

Its not something I expect her to understand and I don't honestly care. I love doing it and look forward to starting in January on the biggest mod I've tried on my own.

Role on the modding, bad radio, banter, grazed knuckles and hours of joy.

revver
14-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Oh dear thats not good. Do what i did buy her a bike. LOL. My wife likes shinny things too so she bought her self a nice shinny exhaust. She also chaged her clutch with some guidence.

littlejimmy12
14-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh dear thats not good. Do what i did buy her a bike. LOL. My wife likes shinny things too so she bought her self a nice shinny exhaust. She also chaged her clutch with some guidence.

I quote "why do you want to do that to her again (monster), she doesn't like been taken apart, its not fair"

she's going to go even more nuts when I take off the pillion pegs!

revver
14-12-2011, 08:51 PM
I think you will have to up the crimbo prezzies to soften the blow.

Liz
14-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Sounds like you just want the bike and not the girlfriend.

Saint aka ML
14-12-2011, 09:21 PM
When I was young-er I was thinking that motorbikes+loud exhausts+shiny bits make young women drop clotches on sight. Kind off like TopGear Handbrake turn. Currently I notice the more blingy the bike is the less women care and more man look .....

revver
14-12-2011, 09:34 PM
you could be right there i nearly ploughed into the back of a car this year on my bike coz i was looking at shinny bikes coming the other way.

Lima071
14-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Back in the early 90's I ran my vw polo in to a nova, while watching an e type, pilotted by a nice looking blonde. You choose was it;
A) the jag
B) the woman
C) roadworks just over the brow of a hill
I can't remember which excuse I used.

He11cat
14-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Depends on the woman... Dangle a pair of Jimmy Choos infront of me I'd say nice ..
Show me a nice bit of one off billet all shiney and stick a milky bar ontop I'd be well impressed!
I've nearly crashed looking at something nice on the pavement :)
and no it was not a shiny 1p on the floor I have enough copper wire ta!

He11cat
14-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Lima .. If explaining to your mrs why you crashed say roadworks .. A zebra ran out in the road or it was you or the cute puppy!!

Sorry but there was a nice blonde.. Only if you want to be at one with your sofa and starve for a few weeks .. Not to mention the wall of silence and that look that us women have perfected!! :)

That's a tip from a token woman abait a crap one!

gary tompkins
14-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Hmmm.. the way I look at it

The more I play with bikes the less time I have to play with myself ;)

Pomp1
15-12-2011, 06:38 AM
Mine gave up asking such questions a long time ago..

Albie
15-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Mine gave up asking such questions a long time ago..

Mine too. Well she questions it and is ok really. It keeps me off the streets over winter and the fresh air does me good. It also keeps business going across the UK us buying parts.

I just see my self as an RECYCLER keeping wrecks from becoming rubbish
I feel I am being GREEN

I also mod because I want it the way I do and not others. I have actually unmodded 2 bikes to get them as manufacturor intended

fireman sam
15-12-2011, 10:56 AM
We do it because we can and it keeps us off the streets learn another and even better a younger person and our creations will live on

Sam69
15-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I got it in the ear on Sunday my reply was "what do you want me to do? would you rather I go to the pub instead!?

scrapps
15-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I have been asked to remove the engine from my bike out of the dinning room before xmas :grump:
I was happy to decorate it but that was not received well :eek:

mrbryanmarshall
15-12-2011, 07:08 PM
My missus just nods, smiles and says "oh, that looks nice." Really understanding, but i can tell she has no idea why it's just taken 5 hours of work in the cold to do something to the bike that she wouldn't be able to point out!

littlejimmy12
15-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I think its jealousy that I'm not spending the time and effort on her ha ha

Albie
15-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I have been asked to remove the engine from my bike out of the dinning room before xmas :grump:
I was happy to decorate it but that was not received well :eek:

I actually dont know how you managed to strip it down in there. Maybe your house so thats key but seriously I would have not been allowed. She allows me to sort through stuff indoors, repair clenish broken things in the front room even ( no carpet mind ) and cook painted bits in the oven. Even clean parts in the dishawasher and sink.

I have asked if I could build the bike up as all will be like new soon but NO is the answer.

He11cat
15-12-2011, 10:29 PM
I only have the pot plant to argue with and I think that's now dying.. No I did not nag it to death.
At least I'm not spending what little I have on foxy bingo.

samieb
16-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Why? - Simply because we can. :hail: :yoparty: :D

Mand
16-12-2011, 04:22 PM
My missus just nods, smiles and says "oh, that looks nice." Really understanding, but i can tell she has no idea why it's just taken 5 hours of work in the cold to do something to the bike that she wouldn't be able to point out!

Well she sounds nice, at least she's expressing an interest, let's hope you show as much interest in her hobbies even though you don't have a clue what she's on about? :)

mrbryanmarshall
17-12-2011, 12:05 PM
She loves cooking, and yes, I have a lot of interest in that :D been watching a lot of masterchef recently and experimenting with fancy ingredients...such a chore trying her food ;) yum

Grumpy
17-12-2011, 08:59 PM
One of my previous Ducatis was a 888, which was kept on paddock stands in the dining romm at my last house. When I meet the now ex Mrs White and took her to my home for the first time, she saw the shiney red bike in the dining room and said ' what the f**k is that!' to which I answered 'a motorbike!'
I should have seen the signs then, she was very jealous of my love of bikes. No wonder she is now the ex!:mand:

Twentytoo
18-12-2011, 10:28 AM

I showed my missus the new Corse body work and termis. He nodded, smiled and said she preferred it black with standard exhausts....

Kato
18-12-2011, 11:02 AM
It gave me the perfect excuse to buy .....

A lathe
A Tig Welder
A Pillar Drill
And a nice little Mill

Now I can say I spend far less on shiny bits coz I can make em myself !!!

gary tompkins
18-12-2011, 07:36 PM
A Kato... you are a man after my own heart :mand:

I just need a medium size lottery win and a massive shed

Lima071
18-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I showed my missus the new Corse body work and termis. He nodded, smiled and said she preferred it black with standard exhausts....

Caution: your missus turned in to a he before turning back.

Liz
18-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Have had bikes in the dining room and would put a bike in the conservatory but I think it's a bit damp!