PDA

View Full Version : Ducatisti dead again

Dave G
12-12-2011, 09:33 PM
I notice ducatisti is gone again, shame really as it can be a useful site(if you ignore the stoner/Rossi axe grinders) the last break killed the very small sportclassic Section, I can't see this gap improving the site in any way.
I know the owner must have reasons but when you run a one man operation that many people participate in then these unfortunate gaps really damage the credibility of the site and lose many members. One of the great unsaid rules of forums is 'be available'. I use other sites more regularly as I don't see ducatisti continuing as a viable platform if it's periodic breaks persist.

He11cat
12-12-2011, 09:48 PM
It's a shame :( I guess the chap has very good reason and sometimes we all have to make tough choices.
Surely someone on there would have stepped in as back up?
I used to years ago help run a site and forum and it was a case of daily work quite often!! I was paid so that made it easier.
Usually you have a couple of admins and then your mods?
I was mid converstation with someone and now can't get in touch with them :(
I wonder if it will go back up again ?
But yup with anything like that you really need a few of you as back up.
I'm really sad as can't yak to my little monster friend now :(
It used to cheer me up at lunchtime :)

Capo
12-12-2011, 09:52 PM
There are some real bumholes on that site

He11cat
12-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Pmsl! Monster owners who are bumholes seem to be rare!!
You get the odd one thankfully not on here :)

rac3r
12-12-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm sure plenty of people have offered to run it so he should 'outsource' the running side but still keep hold site if that makes sense

gary tompkins
13-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Pmsl! Monster owners who are bumholes seem to be rare!!
You get the odd one thankfully not on here :)

Oh I don't know... I've seen a few sneak under the radar in the past

It's an occupational hazard of running an online forum these days

He11cat
13-12-2011, 12:12 AM
There's always one!!!
There's that saying laugh with someone not at them .
However when dealing with a bumhole laugh at them as they usually end up looking like an even bigger one :)

you don't know the chaps circumstances really could be anything..
Some people also don't like other people being in control of their baby as well.
However

Some people just loose interest .

Do people go elsewhere?

Saint aka ML
13-12-2011, 12:31 AM
We offered him help first time it was going to go down and first time we had plenty of warning. He was making an upgrade then so had a reason but this time....

TBH we were all surprised it came back that time and knew it is a dead end now.

At the moment no idea why Dan stopped the service, there was no upgrade mentioned, previous one was about 6 months ago and all was running fine.

He does not seem to want to let go even a bit to others, sell up or even let it be run by someone for a year while he does what he needs to do you know temp admin thing. Rac3r made even a suggestion to hire someone to run it.
A part time admin or two for a year at first. We would all chip in with donations and see how it goes.

I think most damage that was and is made is the lack of decission what to do with it.
- Want to close it fine, give everyone a month to save all info they want and get all contacts and be done.
- Sell it fine out of your hands not your problem and ducatimonster.org in US turned out to be quite good after sale.
- Let someone else (one person or group of people) run it permanently or for some time

but no no decission and outage before X-mas. BTW Paivi as usual was doing secret santa thing. I wonder if she managed to finish it all :D

I am sometimes a bit of a bumhole but that is because I have my opinion and in most cases need solid profe that it is wrong to change it but then sometimes (like Casey vs Rossi) I will not change my mind.

Capo
13-12-2011, 06:57 AM
This is the death knell for that site, after all its only a forum not a club like ours.
Maybe some of their monster owners will migrate here.

bex
13-12-2011, 08:28 AM
There are some real bumholes on that site

I nearly ejected my rice krispies all over my keyboard just now :chuckle:

J.P
13-12-2011, 08:59 AM

At 9.28 in the morning ? You're a late riser. I had my coffee at my desk at 6.33am this morning :)

Altaian
13-12-2011, 09:23 AM

At 9.28 in the morning ? You're a late riser. I had my coffee at my desk at 6.33am this morning :)

Students... :yoparty: what a life... ;)

I suppose ejecting rice krispies is better than projecting milk out of yer nostrils... :chuckle:

'tis a shame there was no notice that the site was going off-line...

Mr Cake
13-12-2011, 09:30 AM
What is desk?

Is it really a club here? I know 'club' is in the title but there's no subs or owt to pay.

C (professional radar sneakist)

The Red Devil
13-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Students... :yoparty: what a life... ;)

I suppose ejecting rice krispies is better than projecting milk out of yer nostrils... :chuckle:

'tis a shame there was no notice that the site was going off-line...

its the second time.....the guy who runs it...had a new addition to his family...i guess the pressure of his new baby...made him stop...the site is also his baby...and none of us want to give them up... (im still truing to get my 26yr old to leave home!!)

lots of peeps offered to help him.... in the end its up to him... but a lot of people who used it will be lost now..... prehaps we can have a non monster owners section... and offer a olive branch.... just a thought i have no idea how these sites work or how much work is involved... but i know Atalan doesnt have a monster but is and was welcomed on here....

christmas spirit and all that....

Altaian
13-12-2011, 10:07 AM
lots of peeps offered to help him.... in the end its up to him... but a lot of people who used it will be lost now..... prehaps we can have a non monster owners section... and offer a olive branch.... just a thought i have no idea how these sites work or how much work is involved... but i know Atalan doesnt have a monster but is and was welcomed on here....

christmas spirit and all that....

Doesn't have one 'yet'! but does have the spirit of the Monster Owner within... :devil:

He11cat
13-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the sploshing thread may have killed it opps please note I did not start that one!!!!!
But it was very very funny! I was too afraid to even go on the Urban dictionary to look up some of those mens suggestions!! I don't know how that even stayed up for so long!

I must get hold of Paivi .... I didn't get my info off the site ... I kind of wish we had a weeks grace to get hold of people so you could stay in touch , also Paivi put in her hard work with her secret santa...

I appreciate that there is a lot of work to go into a forum..
Admin and such like.
Also life gets hectic and things have to take priority.

But its better to admit hey I can't do this can I have some help .. people will always help.
I just think its a bit sad.

It would be kind of nice if he could pop it up for say a week just so we could get our stuff off and contact folks ..
I have some people who I would have loved to have stayed in touch with :(
I now can't even give them my details so they can get hold of me.. mind you they are probably thinking whahahahahaha lucky escape!!

The other thing that could have been done was a facebook page that way people could have re grouped if they use it .. or used it to grab contacts .. its quite a good temp solution.

Just to shut it down no warning will certainly hack people off!!!...
Oh if anyone knows my little friend ... please pm me ... we lurked in the monster 600 slot as I would like to stay in touch... I am most sad :(

I like it here as its so light hearted ... I have only seen a couple of bumholes on here ...

He11cat
13-12-2011, 11:14 AM
I forgot to say... I would say that is really very clublike more so then some clubs!
People meet up, some good friendships have been formed and it is a very nice place to be.
Everyone who I have met has been really nice.
People help each other lots..
It is a very club like spirit on here and quite relaxed.

Ok we all have opinions but thats what makes the world go round.
Theres a difference to having an opinion and being a total J Arthur Rank...er and its well handled on here.

utopia
13-12-2011, 11:17 AM
..... prehaps we can have a non monster owners section.......

er...that would be a club for those who owned a monster.....or not.
UKMO(ON)C....??
I know what you mean though, but I think the current unofficial naughty corner is best.
Altaian sums it up nicely.

Doesn't have one 'yet'! but does have the spirit of the Monster Owner within... :devil:

gary tompkins
13-12-2011, 01:54 PM
... I have only seen a couple of bumholes on here ...

You obviously haven't spent enough nights in Arrow Mill's pole room ;)

Gordon H
13-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Rice Krispies at 9:28???

bex
13-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Why what time do you eat yours? :biggrin:

Gordon H
13-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Why what time do you eat yours? :biggrin:

I don't - 100% porage scoffer......... and any time - 0500 to 08:00.....

9:28 is knocking on towards lunchtime!!

Chris & Nean
13-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Dan created a good thing with his ducatisti forum (bumoles included :mand:) , instead of just letting it die.. couldnt he alow advertising on it to generate funds and then pay ppl to run it for him? make a bob or two for himself out of it too maybe!

Dave G
13-12-2011, 05:16 PM
This is what baffles me about the ducatisti site, he has several options and offers of help but has chosen to shut it down instead citing family reasons ( an unfortunate but legitimate one) instead of accepting help or a caretaker to keep it open, in effect the ref has taken the ball home with him and left the teams and spectators with nothing.
As someone who's family life controls my options more than I'd ideally like them to I can appreciate this position.
What I have no sympathy for however, is the sudden and arbritary decision to **** off all those who supported him by just shutting the site down with no notice......for the second time!
Even if he does start it up again those who have donated or moderated may have second thoughts about continuing their support and make it progressively harder to finance and control.

As I mentioned, the SC section was killed by the last outage, while this is a minor part it was the main reason I used the site, I now use mainly .ms as it has a thriving SC section.
I have noticed that since the first shutdown the proportion of useful/technical posts to waffle seems to have declined and the longer its gone the less likely may people are to return to it as they find other places to get and exchange information. As Capo said, there was a lot of bumholes there, if it starts up again the proportion of bumholes will only seem greater as they will be the only ones who go back and use it.

There is it seems a desire for a general Ducati forum where all models may be discussed and social stuff arranged, hopefully something may arise from these ashes that will fit the bill.

Saint aka ML
13-12-2011, 05:44 PM
He11cat try du artist on Facebook :) Also who's contact do you need might be able to help (Lucazade).

Chris & Nean
13-12-2011, 06:03 PM
First thing I look at after starting my comp is always ducatisti forum and UKMOC! gotasay I dont make all that many posts on either of them but I'm pretty tuned in to the banter thats generally going on on both these sites; but these two places are where I get my daily (even if I ain't been out on my bike) Ducati fix! Well I guess I will ultimately have to make a Ducati MS account :yoparty: ??? Come on Dan me ol-pall give us all a crissy prezzy... get our favorite Ducati site going, and fix it like it wont never ever die.

Mand
13-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Not wishing to put the cat amongst the pidgeons but who cares, it's the ukmoc that counts in my humble opinion... :bunny:

Dave G
13-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Not wishing to put the cat amongst the pidgeons but who cares, it's the ukmoc that counts in my humble opinion... :bunny:

As much as I agree with that Mand, I also have other Ducatis and sometimes sharing info on forums is the only way to solve problems that may arise.

Mand
13-12-2011, 06:37 PM
As much as I agree with that Mand, I also have other Ducatis and sometimes sharing info on forums is the only way to solve problems that may arise.

Fair comment Dave, I obviously had a bumhole moment :chuckle:

nuttynick
13-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I log onto here to let people know about the Kent DOC meet as I've met a few UKMOC guys and they like to get out and about! I use Ducatisti a lot, and due to the sudden shut down have lost lots of contact info and other stuff sent to me via PM. I've also lost my secret santa details so the person I've got won't get anything unless Dan gets the forum back online :-( I agree the family come first, but a bit of notice would be nice....

gary tompkins
13-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Fair comment Dave, I obviously had a bumhole moment :chuckle:

Sounds like a good tee-shirt slogan

http://www.jobeaufoix.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/400048_starfish1.jpg

Bonzo
13-12-2011, 07:00 PM
(im still truing to get my 26yr old to leave home!!)

Ha! I know that feeling.

uksurfer
13-12-2011, 07:05 PM

im under that opinion, only personal, i have used the ducatisti before but never found it overly appealing, and i also think this monster club should stay monster, you will get all sorts in here if you open it to others........ :chuckle:

Mand
13-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Heaven forbid, however non monsterers come in handy when it comes to filling the monster only trackday... That aside, I think most people here are helpful and knowledgeable, whether they own a monster or not because I suspect they have either owned a monster at some stage or just wish they could :thumbsup:

gary tompkins
13-12-2011, 07:26 PM
im under that opinion, only personal, i have used the ducatisti before but never found it overly appealing, and i also think this monster club should stay monster, you will get all sorts in here if you open it to others........ :chuckle:

Yeah.. like R1 owners for example

Gordon H
13-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah.. like R1 owners for example

You beat me to it GT!!!

He11cat
13-12-2011, 07:42 PM
There is a need for Ducati forum for all bikes ..
If Dan could up the site for a few days it would be nice.
Yup I can't get my ss addy either!!!
We could ask Paivi and her elfs help?

I was a bit worried about using it so stuck in my own bike section and off topic!

Sadly my site forum knowledge is well out of date nowdays:(

i spose you could have an anal section for the people who have no sense of humor ?

I tried to be good as best as I could!
I can't recall the exact username as it was a number and letters il pm you details was a monster owner

Liz
13-12-2011, 07:54 PM
I think Ducatisti was a very good forum, and that's what it was. Dan (whom I have met), obviously tried his best to keep it going but it must be a very difficult VOLUNTARY job!

My thanks go to Slob and the team of administrators who keep OUR club forum going (even after the whinges of having to shut down for a short time for maintenance!).

I agree that it is a Monster Owners Club but people change bikes; they may
want to join as they're thinking of buying one; have had one and are waiting for the next; have had one and have given up biking but still want to be part of the club.

I also agree, however, that it should not be opened up as a 'general Ducati' forum as that's not what we are.

There are many of us here who have other Ducatis or other bikes but the main thing is we have MONSTERS, therefore it is the UK Monster Owners Club!

Just my opinion!

He11cat
13-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I think it is nice as it is ..
Monster owners are a diverse bunch :)

maybe another Ducati site will open ..
After all lots of people chop and change and even have knowledge from when they owned a monster all handy.

There must be a little bunch of people out there somewhere??
But yup it's quite sad really for all those involved..

We are lucky to have a good admin team here :)

Altaian
13-12-2011, 08:24 PM
im under that opinion, only personal ..., and i also think this monster club should stay monster, you will get all sorts in here if you open it to others........ :chuckle:

er...that would be a club for those who owned a monster.....or not.
UKMO(ON)C....??
I know what you mean though, but I think the current unofficial naughty corner is best.
Altaian sums it up nicely.

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water :hissy: I've attended local meets, festive meals (even being a Humbug) 'n' I've even bought a T-shirt, mug & calendar... Don't complain about 'the Naughty Corner'...

What's a guy gotta do... :banghead:

Heaven forbid, however non monsterers come in handy when it comes to filling the monster only trackday... That aside, I think most people here are helpful and knowledgeable, whether they own a monster or not because I suspect they have either owned a monster at some stage or just wish they could :thumbsup:

I'm glad there's an alteria motive to make up the numbers ;)

I tried to be good as best as I could!
I can't recall the exact username as it was a number and letters il pm you details was a monster owner

Just a thought He11cat, but going forward with both UKMOC & Ducatisti you could select within your profile to be notified by e-mail for PM's & for post subscriptions. Now if you save these in a folder you would have a reference point for some lost details if not all...

... Come on Dan me ol-pall give us all a crissy prezzy... get our favorite Ducati site going, and fix it like it wont never ever die.

I've gotta say, I have accounts on both UKMOC & Ducatisti, but surely our favourite Ducati site is: :mand:http://www.ukmonster.co.uk (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk)

:spin: :ukm: :spin:

He11cat
13-12-2011, 08:45 PM
That would mean my being organised! What the devil is organised?

Altaian
13-12-2011, 08:52 PM
That would mean my being organised! What the devil is organised?

The Devil is in the detail :devil:

It was just a suggestion to help you going forward. It's really only through a combination of disorganisation & fundamental lack of housekeeping combined with a form of hording that I have an over-flowing folder which I've noticed has some useful content.

Saint aka ML
13-12-2011, 09:13 PM
He11cat ask for contact details here, many of frequent users of Ducatisti joined in there during 1st outage as we had no idea then if it will come back.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100002814999899

Liz
13-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Altanian, I hope you felt welcome at the Hants/Wilts Christmas meal last weekend? We have no problem with you being in the 'naughty corner', you have 'Monster' ambitions!

Welcome to anyone who wants to join, is thinking of joining and who has joined and thinks we're all mad! Oh well...........

chris yeatman
13-12-2011, 09:24 PM
thinks we're all mad! Oh well...........

only u liz.......................... keep telling everyone that u overtook me on a old 600, i mean really................................... ;)

Altaian
13-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Altanian, I hope you felt welcome at the Hants/Wilts Christmas meal last weekend? We have no problem with you being in the 'naughty corner', you have 'Monster' ambitions!

Welcome to anyone who wants to join, is thinking of joining and who has joined and thinks we're all mad! Oh well...........

Liz, I did indeed feel welcome, both at the Hants/Wilst meal & the Kent curry. Along with those I've also met at both Kent & London meets who didn't make either meals. You have all shown me a warm welcome - to which I am thankful. I'm still waiting to attend my first brekkie meet at Hilltop - but all in good time...

tbh, I'd probably park in the 'naughty corner' anyhow. If you may recall I was at Poplar Farm 1st & it would appear that the Monsters who turned up parked alongside me - so the 'Naughty Corner' can't be all that bad :eek:

If I felt otherwise I would have said my piece & rode away. I only wish I'd become an offical member earlier - but I have to look forward not back. You Gals & Guys appear to have the chemistry I've been searching for. Sometimes you just don't look in the most obvious place & it's only when you stop looking you find what you were after...

I'm looking forward to a fun packed 2012.

I'll just assume those other comments on the thread weren't intended for present company :rolleyes:

:ukm:

Liz
13-12-2011, 09:41 PM
It's a difficult one! All 'Monster' owners, or as I said, people who include people who have owned, are waiting to own. Most of us would park next to another Ducati because in a way, they are a bit exclusive. (I have a 750SS track bike as well as the S2R, but if I rode it to a meet, wouldn't expect to not park it next to another Ducati).
But, UKMOC is about people who own or will own a Monster! Roll on Spring!

Dave G
13-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Just in case anyone thought I was suggesting this site opens out to other Ducati models, then no I wasn't thinking that at all.

I do think there is a need for general Ducati site but not at the expense of this one.

Paivi
13-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Paivi as usual was doing secret santa thing. I wonder if she managed to finish it all :D
Sadly not.

Everybody was PMd their victim's address, but I know not everybody took a note of it yet. I've got some on a spreadie at home, but some only on the Santas' PMs.

So, looks like some people will get Secret Santa presents and some won't.

A little bit of warning would have been helpful, especially as assistance had been offered and ignored earlier on.

uksurfer
13-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I must admit, I have the occasional tendency to park in the naughty corner, and some time ago in the beginning, one of the regulars at Hants brekkie meets was on a fazer........
Ive met some great people on here, and some I've never seen on a monster!

Dukedesmo
13-12-2011, 10:12 PM
'Tis a shame that Ducatisti closed again. I've been on there sometime and have met many great people and been on some good rideouts etc.

Not been on a Monster rideout yet as my Monster is still in 'project' phase, hopefully soon but I'm not 'bikeist' and will ride with anyone :chuckle:

I didn't find this site until a year ago when I bought the Monster and was looking for more specific stuff.

I find this a good site too, although a little quiet most of the time - hope that comment doesn't make me a bumhole... ;)

Liz
13-12-2011, 10:17 PM
'Tis a shame that Ducatisti closed again. I've been on there sometime and have met many great people and been on some good rideouts etc.

Not been on a Monster rideout yet as my Monster is still in 'project' phase, hopefully soon but I'm not 'bikeist' and will ride with anyone :chuckle:

I didn't find this site until a year ago when I bought the Monster and was looking for more specific stuff.

I find this a good site too, although a little quiet most of the time - hope that comment doesn't make me a bumhole... ;)

Quiet?!! Where have you been? As said earlier, the club is for Monster Owners, current, future, past!

Saint aka ML
13-12-2011, 10:58 PM
DukeDesmo I think they need to speficy what constitutes a bumhole as at the moment it seems people from Ducatisti ask her if they are one ;)

So you plan to have monster on the road next year ej or is it one of those I can always make it better bikes?

He11cat
14-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks Saint I will try on there..

Paivi ... I am one dimmy who did not take her SS details down .... help does your Magic Elf have any idea who I am posting to again...
I think its very sad :(

I really enjoyed the shelf post ... wonder if anyone has got a shelf on here ... may be a fun thread to have!

utopia
14-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Not too sure whether I've been misunderstood.
Perhaps not, but just in case.....
I was saying that, even though my opinion is that the club should be based around a common interest specifically in monsters, the so called naughty corner is a nice way of encompassing those who did, will, might, or even probably won't actually own one, but share an interest in the monster, or the type of motorcycling that it represents.
In short, I like the naughty corner.
Indeed there are some members who have not owned a monster since I became a member, but whose presence I have valued greatly.
Not that my opinion should count for anything much...I'm relatively new anyway, so its hardly my place to say how things should be, but thats how I perceive things to be anyway, and I like it that way.

Dukedesmo
14-12-2011, 08:17 AM
DukeDesmo I think they need to speficy what constitutes a bumhole as at the moment it seems people from Ducatisti ask her if they are one ;)

Been called worse mate... :chuckle:

So you plan to have monster on the road next year ej or is it one of those I can always make it better bikes?

That's the plan. Well, actually the plan was to have it on the road this year unfortunately that didn't happen for several reasons but I've got 99% of the parts, just waiting on some work being done then all I've got to do is build the engine, paint the frame & wheels, put it all together and sort out the wiring - piece of cake... :rolleyes:

emily's driver
14-12-2011, 12:30 PM
All this fatalism about the site's eventual outcome seems a little premature. No one knows for sure whether or not it is set to close for good. From my view there has never been any suggestion by Dan that this is the case. His priorities lie elsewhere at the moment. There are other equally good forums on both this and the other side of the pond, which are just as informative, and which a freely accessible to all, irrespective of model/s owned, to satisfy people's curiosity in the meantime or to while a way a few hours. Not sure I would be so quick to speak of its demise, when it is merely offline for a while.

Dave G
14-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Not sure I would be so quick to speak of its demise, when it is merely offline for a while.

That in itself will kill it, the regulars will find somewhere else in the meantime and some will already be gone, the uncertainty over its closure and if or when it'll return means it will never recover its members who will be expecting random outages and seeking a more stable forum where closures are announced and are usually short or at least with the intention of returning as soon as any updates (or whatever reason)etc have taken place.
If it comes back I may find a way of collating some of the information provided by other posters on there and store that somehow but the regular use has already gone and in that respect it will never recover.

He11cat
14-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Sadly I think the crunch is no warning of it going offline
that in itself has made people a tad hacked off.
Everybody who is decent will understand life takes over and often you have to make sacrifices . However it's also a little bit decent to give people a couple of days grace and warning not just take it offline.
It wouldn't hurt.
Some people will go back but the Internet is a fickle place and as others have said some will be so hacked off they will think stuff it.
I hope the info isn't lost and that the chaps life situation picks up soon.

He11cat
14-12-2011, 03:54 PM
There was a really really active biker social network site a few years back that was very popular .. The owners managed to turn it into a sucessful and money making site.
It was a couple who owned it they suddenly split up and niether did the admin nor dud either want to continue.
The site fell apart in a couple of months and turned into virus central!!
People who had even paid left as you could no longer use it :(
it was very sad as it was popular and had a good following and active chat room that was really good .. It was astounding how fast it collapsed once word got round and that's including people who had paid to have a premium membership.. If people who have paid money to use a site or support it leave your screwed.
He doesn't charge which is great but when you start upsetting your forum supporters :(

d8mok
14-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Im missing ducatisti loads at moment. It's a great source of info, and the 848 section is very active.

This forum is a good forum , but very quiet. And not much good for any other models other than monsters obviously.

If it doesnt return , I'll join one of the yank sites I guess. But I'd be disappointed for sure.

The Red Devil
14-12-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm glad I found this site.. I was on Ducasisti quite a lot as soon as I decided I wanted a Duke... However a lot of time passed while waiting for a Diavel order to be delivered.. After 5 months of waiting I cancelled it and found all you lovely peeps.. When i ordered a monster instead( glad i did)! This site is different .. It's like a cosy village where everyone knows each other and are nice and funny and welcoming.. The problem I found with Ducatisti is it's like a huge city.. Too many people all posting in their respective sections .. The events pages turned out to be a bonus and I met up with the Kent lot at Bluebell hill.. And that changed my opinion.. Real people.. Lovely bunch.. Met Atalan there too.. In fact I think I've been followed!!!:chuckle:
A site is as good as it's members.. Real people looking for like minded souls.. This is a club also.. As someone already pointed out .. I think it's a shame if Ducatisti goes.. I hardly went there after the last outage.. It's not until you lose something you realise how important it is... Where do I send my thanks for this site?? Great work guys n gals. !!!!!

Capo
14-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I found a 900 GTS there as a basis for a project, I was just sowing it up when the site went down.

Anyone know who Bevelbob is?

If it does come back I would not expect it to be until after Xmas

uksurfer
14-12-2011, 06:59 PM
i find the R1 owners club good, and more importantly its free too, there are alot if clubs and forums around, you just need to find one that suits you and that your happy with, its never a case of what you ride, or what you do, its who you are which is most important.

The ukmoc has been a great club since i've known it, and i have enjoyed being a member, i also support the club, buying various merchandise through the year which keeps it running free, for members, and also for guests who turn up on the odd occasion

I have tried other clubs, but not found them as welcoming as the ukmoc :thumbsup:

Capo
14-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Indeed, perhaps we should start a chistmas whip round to help defray operating costs next year.
I understand that Rob dips into his pocket from time to time, thats not right.

Saint aka ML
14-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I have some beer left over will that help?

Pomp1
14-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Indeed, perhaps we should start a chistmas whip round to help defray operating costs next year.
I understand that Rob dips into his pocket from time to time, thats not right.

I'm sure that if he asks people would donate. I know I would.

Liz
14-12-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm sure that if he asks people would donate. I know I would.

He won't ask, that's the problem.............Slob, what do you want for UKMOC Christmas?

Capo
14-12-2011, 09:28 PM
All it needs is someone to step forward and act as a collection point.
I'm no good at that sort of thing I always forget to pay my bills, file my expenses etc.
Being a blunt sort of person, I am however good at cajoling others.

Liz
14-12-2011, 09:53 PM
If it comes to a question of collecting funds etc, I would be happy to help out with cooking the books, oops, I mean keeping the books.

samieb
14-12-2011, 10:21 PM
The thing about Dan from Ducatisti is that not only does he have a busy life at home at the moment. With a new born etc, but his work commitments are quite stressful too. I think he's a paramedic or something similar?. I know that this no excuse, but I feel it would've been a little polite to all members to give some notice 1st.

Anyway for now he's closed it for his own reasons and we'll have to respect them and see whether or not it returns, I hope so as do many others but let's let Dan do what he wants.

He's had various offers of help, assistance, buyouts and support and doesn't feel he's ready to pass things on. I know for a fact that he's had conversations with other forum founders. Dans made his decision it's his baby, please let's just let him get on with what he wants to do with the Ducatisti forum.

in the end of the day bitching and moaning won't bring it back in a positive frame of mind, even if he decides to bring the forum back online.

gary tompkins
14-12-2011, 10:46 PM
If it comes to a question of collecting funds etc, I would be happy to help out with cooking the books, oops, I mean keeping the books.

UKMOC does actually have a nominated treasurer.. Rachel AKA Benson

However I don't think that's of much relevance to the issue of funding the website

He11cat
14-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Most sites have forum supporters where you each pay a set amount.
I pay I think £11 a year for one of mine as do other supporters and it goes in the site/ club funds to keep it ticking over.
In return they pop a little badge on your username to say you support the forum.
It works well and you are given an option to wether you wish to support or not .
Some also have a little section or thing that is for supporters only that's a perk but not all. I don't think that's really needed..
But that's how some sites seem to work.

slob
15-12-2011, 04:59 AM
The UKMOC is a FREE club for owners of Ducati Monsters living in the UK (and Ireland, plus ex-pats). Those who've bought T-shirts and calendars already support it.

We will look at the top of page banner advertisers after the fourm upgrade too. I promise that while I'm "the caretaker", we won't end up with adverts dotted everywhere like some forums (fora).

Problem solved (not that there actually is a problem).

Sam69
15-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Just to shut it down no warning will certainly hack people off!!!...
Oh if anyone knows my little friend ... please pm me ... we lurked in the monster 600 slot as I would like to stay in touch... I am most sad :(

I like it here as its so light hearted ... I have only seen a couple of bumholes on here ...

Have you tried http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/forum.php/ have seen a lot of new faces poping up over there, nice friendly welcoming site as well may take a while to sus the Scottish humour tho! :chuckle:

Altaian
15-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow, go off-line for a day & you miss a lot of updates. This is what happens when you step away from a computer & spend the day frequenting Ducati dealers & meets... Went down to Dorset for their last DOC meet of 2011: not sure if that would have been posted on Ducatisti or not...

my opinion is that the club should be based around a common interest specifically in monsters, the so called naughty corner is a nice way of encompassing those who did, will, might, or even probably won't actually own one, but share an interest in the monster, or the type of motorcycling that it represents.

In short, I like the naughty corner.

Indeed there are some members who have not owned a monster since I became a member, but whose presence I have valued greatly.

:thumbsup:

need to speficy what constitutes a bumhole

There is a difference between a 'bumhole' and a complete ar$e.

I don't think it's right or fair to stereotype or criticise a forum based on some personal experience or encounter. Sadly certain types of folk share most walks of life... It is indeed a shame Ducatisti is off-line & futher shame that it wasn't pre-empted by an e-mail or site notice. Hey we all make mistakes, have regrets & have to prioritise life events.

I'm sure we're all guilty of occasionally exhibiting symptoms, but most weren't born that way!

There are other equally good forums on both this and the other side of the pond, which are just as informative, and which a freely accessible to all, irrespective of model/s owned, to satisfy people's curiosity in the meantime or to while a way a few hours.

Not quite as useful for a social entity beyond a virtual one though. It's not as if you can easily go for a drink, chat or ride out if using services abroad...

Anyway for now he's closed it for his own reasons and we'll have to respect them and see whether or not it returns, I hope so as do many others but let's let Dan do what he wants.

in the end of the day bitching and moaning won't bring it back in a positive frame of mind, even if he decides to bring the forum back online.

We should respect the reasons. Choice is one thing which sets us apart. If/when it comes back on-line members new & old can choose to use it or not.

This site is different .. It's like a cosy village where everyone knows each other and are nice and funny and welcoming.. The problem I found with Ducatisti is it's like a huge city.. Too many people all posting in their respective sections .. The events pages turned out to be a bonus and I met up with the Kent lot at Bluebell hill.. And that changed my opinion.. Real people.. Lovely bunch.. Met Atalan there too.. In fact I think I've been followed!!!:chuckle:

A site is as good as it's members.. Real people looking for like minded souls.. This is a club also.. As someone already pointed out .. I think it's a shame if Ducatisti goes.. I hardly went there after the last outage.. It's not until you lose something you realise how important it is.

That Nov meet seems a long time ago... Glad I joined UKMOC prior, else I could get paranoid - as you've gone very dark since... To play Devil's Advocate though RD, it was posted on both sites as a DOC meet - not Kent UKMOC, although NuttyNick did state all Ducati enthusiasts were welcome & you did meet UKMOC members there! :biggrin:

There is a difference though between a Forum & a Club. A bit like there’s a difference between a Group & a Team.

In return they pop a little badge on your username to say you support the forum.
It works well and you are given an option to wether you wish to support or not .

Even being a current 'Naughty Corner' resident - I'd support this option.
:ukm:

The Red Devil
15-12-2011, 01:25 PM
"Altaian;412872]Wow, go off-line for a day & you miss a lot of updates. "

You Snooze You Lose!!:rolleyes:

"That Nov meet seems a long time ago... Glad I joined UKMOC prior, else I could get paranoid - as you've gone very dark since... "

in reference to me going dark... i think i forgot the read the instructions on this new sunbed!!!:flamed:

:mand: careful i think santas naughty list is mail-merged with the naughty corner list!!:eyepopping:

:pd: <~~~~~~~~~thats your bike that is :eek: :mand:Merry Christmas!!!

gary tompkins
15-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I pay I think £11 a year for one of mine as do other supporters and it goes in the site/ club funds to keep it ticking over.
Some also have a little section or thing that is for supporters only that's a perk but not all. I don't think that's really needed..
But that's how some sites seem to work.

The UKMOC is a FREE club for owners of Ducati Monsters living in the UK (and Ireland, plus ex-pats). Those who've bought T-shirts and calendars already support it.

We will look at the top of page banner advertisers after the fourm upgrade too. I promise that while I'm "the caretaker", we won't end up with adverts dotted everywhere like some forums (fora).

Problem solved (not that there actually is a problem).

Keeping the club free is important and I support Rob's reasoning behind this. Financing UKMOC through membership or subscriptions opens a can of worms. The financial fallout and aggro that results from trying to manage this, has seen the rapid downfall of many other Ducati owners clubs, and for that reason UKMOC should stay subscription free.

If the UKMOC or it's website needs funding this should be sourced by other means

He11cat
15-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I meant by way of a donation to club funds if you wanted?Only if you wanted to help.
Seems unfair Slob has to fund us delinquents!
But I guess it still means admin and bank hasstle!

Saint aka ML
15-12-2011, 07:38 PM
How abut fleece, T-shirts again and all profit goes to fund the site. I need a new fleece as it is cold working in garage now.

RickyX
15-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Im missing ducatisti loads at moment. It's a great source of info, and the 848 section is very active.

This forum is a good forum , but very quiet. And not much good for any other models other than monsters obviously.

If it doesnt return , I'll join one of the yank sites I guess. But I'd be disappointed for sure.

I second the above.

Ducatisti was good for info on my other bikes as well as my Monster runabout. Not keen to go to US sites for other info but I don' t know where else to look.
I hope it comes back once the owner sorts out his family commitments. I also think he's been a star to keep it going so far.

Paivi
15-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Have you tried http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/forum.php/ have seen a lot of new faces poping up over there, nice friendly welcoming site as well may take a while to sus the Scottish humour tho! :chuckle:
Oh dear, they won't thank you for unleashing Hell(cat) on them! Poor unsuspecting souls... :D

nuttynick
15-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I agree that you Monster guys should keep this forum solely for Monster owners. Having said that I pop in quite a bit and post up about the Kent DOC meet, and been made to feel very welcome! We all ride Dukes, but the UKMOC forum should do exactly what it says on the tin!
Hopefully either Ducatisti will be back online soon, or another Ducati forum will take its place. I fully support Dan, he's put a lot into the forum, with no request for funds, although quite a few of us donate. Its not easy to balance a family and time sorting the forum, and family must come first. I just wish we'd had some notice so I could've copied stuff from PM's onto my laptop.

He11cat
15-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I can handle them northerners !!
I can tell tales of shandy .. Why you should have curry sauce on your chips and not gravy and never be careful with money.
;) .. I don't think i'd better go on the northern forum I can't be trusted especially with those yorkshiremen ..

Or shall I go ask where is the best place to put your tax disc?

The Red Devil
16-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I agree that you Monster guys should keep this forum solely for Monster owners. Having said that I pop in quite a bit and post up about the Kent DOC meet, and been made to feel very welcome! We all ride Dukes, but the UKMOC forum should do exactly what it says on the tin!
Hopefully either Ducatisti will be back online soon, or another Ducati forum will take its place. I fully support Dan, he's put a lot into the forum, with no request for funds, although quite a few of us donate. Its not easy to balance a family and time sorting the forum, and family must come first. I just wish we'd had some notice so I could've copied stuff from PM's onto my laptop.

Hi Nick... i will try to get to another meet in kent in new year...it was fun..
UKMOC is kind of a lifeboat to the poor titanic Ducatisti going down!:eek:

nuttynick
16-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately mate, I think you might be right. Be good to see you on the Monster again, next meet will be a chilly January!

Small Clanger
17-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Interesting thread, but Ducatisti was of no interest to me. Too much "they're not real bikers, they ride Gold Wings/Harleys" and "what's the weight saving with carbon or titanium snot deflectors" :D

Perhaps a UKMOC Christmas competition ? Spot the refugee from Ducatisti/Bumhole.

p.s. I like it on here but it's a sad day when someone can't ask advice about the value of an item without being flamed.:thumbsdown: