PDA

View Full Version : Painting in a cold garage

littlejimmy12
09-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Getting prepared to paint my block in my garage.

few questions

will the cold weather be a factor, will I need some heat in there.

I share the garage with 2 other bikers, can anyone think of any solutions so the paint won't cover their bikes!! I was thinking a Wendy House - seriously!

rac3r
09-12-2011, 08:41 PM
I have no idea but would have thought it would be better if it's warm. Just get one of those plug in heaters

Using the house concept you could stick it in a box and paint it :chuckle:

PDL
09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Cold metal holds surface moisture so dry paint will flake. Bring the parts inside warm them up then take them outside spray them let it set a little and bring it insude. Regarding the Wendy house gaffa tape sheets to the ceiling and hang them down as paint gets everywhere o use plastic sheating

pegboy
09-12-2011, 11:16 PM
There was a thread on here a while ago, someone did a DIY spray booth with a extract fan and all it did the trick and a clever idea. I am not the best painter even though i have tried a few times, but definately would not spray in the cold, like racer said get a heater of some sort and warm not only what your spraying up but also yourself.

Good Luck

littlejimmy12
10-12-2011, 08:19 AM
And here we have the answer!

Plan is to wait until the Mrs is on nightshifts, erect Thomas the Tank Engine Wendy House in front room.

Fetch prepped and masked block from garage.

Paint block all evening and leave overnight.

Remove evidence by 9am following mornning and she'll be none the wiser.

Thoughts:woot::woot::woot:

Scotty
10-12-2011, 09:53 AM
don't do it in the house spray paint goes everywhere ( im sure my landlord of old knows only too well :o )

put your parts in the oven to warm up or put engine block in front of the fire or something (i also warm the are-sol tins in the oven though this is probably a tad unsafe ~:? )

littlejimmy12
10-12-2011, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Scotty;412465]don't do it in the house spray paint goes everywhere ( im sure my landlord of old knows only too well :o )

At work I have access to a large and very warm plant room. Its very dry in there and the avg temp is around 80 degrees.

Perfect solution!

Martin C
10-12-2011, 11:31 AM
The other replies so far are all good. Under no circumstances use any sort of fan heater to warm the garage prior to/during/after painting - dust takes a long time to settle!

revver
10-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Make sure you have a good mask to other wise you will be floating up to the ceilling. A friend had a very close call with paint fumes. Good luck. Show us the results to.

utopia
10-12-2011, 01:15 PM
There was a post by Pedro a couple of years ago where he described a homemade spray booth consisting of a large cardboard box on top of a wheelybin, with a vacuum cleaner for an extractor. Seemed like a jolly good idea.
Though indoors, the vacuum cleaner could perhaps raise a bit of dust.
If you spray in the wendy house you'll risk breathing lots of fumes.

Plant room...? Horticultural...? Any settling paint dust could wreck the prize blooms.

slob
10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
It was dunlop0_1

Booth (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=29210)

Result (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=30641)

littlejimmy12
10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
results speak for themself!

littlejimmy12
10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Plant room...? Horticultural...? Any settling paint dust could wreck the prize blooms.[/QUOTE]

Plant room - swimming pool. There is one room that is clean and not dusty and only I have the key.

slob
10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
... swimming pool. ...

Damp atmosphere?

utopia
10-12-2011, 09:07 PM
That greenhouse booth of Dunlop's wasn't the one I mean't......but its sheer genius.
I'm certainly going to file that idea.

re. the swimming pool....I may be being overcautious here but, although the area will probably be nicely dust free, warm air plus large area of water equals high humidty. I'm wondering whether this would give problems with the paint....a milky bloom perhaps ?
.....though I am not a painter and have very little experience.

revver
10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I agree with utopia to much humidity. I would take said wendy house, heater and a high power vacum of some sorts and retreat to your garage and do it there. I done it once in my garage i put polythene sheet across half of the garage with a heater, sprayed in 1 half and used the other half as a drying area. if you sheet it off well very little dust will get through. The finish i got was better than i thought it would be with earosals too. Time and patience is the best way and good light!. Good luck.

littlejimmy12
11-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I did think about the humidity, there is a room off the main plany room and that is not humid at all. It has ventilation and is warm and dry + there is no dust.

gary tompkins
11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
..The finish i got was better than i thought it would be with earosals too... Good luck.

Purchased in a Swedish chemists shop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IBiR9m3vY

Pedro
11-12-2011, 11:02 PM
There was a post by Pedro a couple of years ago where he described a homemade spray booth consisting of a large cardboard box on top of a wheelybin, with a vacuum cleaner for an extractor. Seemed like a jolly good idea.
Though indoors, the vacuum cleaner could perhaps raise a bit of dust.
If you spray in the wendy house you'll risk breathing lots of fumes.

Plant room...? Horticultural...? Any settling paint dust could wreck the prize blooms.

Yep, worked a treat. I also used a halogen spotlight to provide some warmth prior to and during spraying

Ped

rac3r
12-12-2011, 03:48 PM
What colour are you painting it?

littlejimmy12
12-12-2011, 04:58 PM
What colour are you painting it?

hint - black fog

a7avenger
13-12-2011, 05:44 PM
If you are spraying in cold conditions as already stated you will need to warm your engine up prior to spraying, above 20 degrees c minimum, or higher would be even better, and I mean the whole lump right the way through which will take a considerable time.
The problem is that the chilling effect of expanding gases (your spray paint) on an already cold surface in cold conditions drives the surface temperature of the metal down below the dew point of water vapour, so condensation forms as you spray trapping moisture between the paint layers and all you end up with is a dull bloomed over flakey mess.

I hope this helps, good luck.