PDA

View Full Version : evo 1100 versus 1100s

mzrpmd
06-12-2011, 07:42 PM
As prices start to soften I'm looking for an 1100s or Evo. I like the idea of the 1100s for the Ohlins for the occasional track day, but then the Evo does have a little more power and the safety net of ABS. Given my love of the track is the Evo really worth the £500 or so, even though I lose the Ohlins? Anyone ridden both have a strong opinion? Of course I could go wild and get a mint S4RS, but that would be silly....wouldn't it?

Albie
06-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes I own a 1100s almost since when they were released. I liked the looks of the ohlins and I stepped down from a s4. Power is great and more than you will ever need.

I had a play on a evo when mine was in for service in June and its a great bike. TBH the power is not noticible IMHO and you wont be claiming anything against the 1100s only the figures. The evo is nice to ride and a lighter clutch and the suspension was nicer until I got my softened that is. Looks is really the only thing in my book. I do like the stacked exhaust but I dont like the large hole left behind under the seat.

I dont do ABS as theres more weight to carry and you also get less fuel to carry as its smaller tank. It has a slipper clutch

Yes its a great bike and cheap too so if you want a new bike go for one.If not go for the ohlins 1100s and you will also be pleased.

The aircooleds against the RS dont really compete with power but they do with handling. Talk to Rally who has both s4rs in white and a tasty 1100s. He doesnt hang about either. Send him a PM

tricolore
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM
My 1100s was perfect on track but perhaps was lacking in power, at Donington anyway, but plenty for the road. Don't think you'll notice that much difference in power with the EVO. The EVO has Marzocchi forks and Sachs rear shock which offer the same adjustment as Ohlins.
The Ohlins look better though !

The S4RS is obviously the most powerful and has Ohlins but a totally different riding position to the new Monsters. Price wise there probably isn't much difference between the 1100s and a nice late S4RS. I was offered a brand new EVO for £8200 the other week. Personally, my EVO ( only done 200 miles ) just feels like a much newer bike.

1100steve
07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
I was in the same predicament back in April, go ahead and buy probably the last unregistered 1100s' left (now 11 plate) or wait a few months for the EVO. I ended up going for the 1100s for the following reasons....

1. I'm impatient.
2. I like Ohlins stuff.
3. Wasn't interested in ABS or traction control, i'll do all the thinking and take the blame if I get it wrong.:mand:
4. I love the look and sound of the open dry clutch, that's what a Ducati sounds like IMHO - if you don't like it, get some termi's throw the baffles in the bin and you'll struggle to hear the rattle anyway.
5. I prefer the twin exit, under seat exhaust and agree with Albie that it looks a bit void under there without, also the EVO exhaust hides the single point swingarm, which is a crime worthy of a slow and painful death IMO.
6. I'm under the illusion that everyone shares the 5 views above, thus making the residual value more sticky - which is almost probably BS:chuckle:
6.1. They offered me a mean deal on the 's' and paid me far to much for the 'timebomb' Buell I was px'ing.
7. I'm impatient.

The only things i prefer on the EVO are..
1. The rearsets are farrrrr prettier that the rediculous chicken wing efforts on the 's', but that's an easy fix anyway.
2. It look's a bit more up-to-date - again easy fix.

As for the ride - no idea i've not ridden an EVO but can't see as it can be that much different. I struggled (failed miserably) to keep up with the demo one on the UKMOC track day but this was, without a shadow of a doubt more a rider issue :grump:.

Probably older/more mileage than you are considering, but this one is just down the road from me, if you want me to drop in and check it out just give me a shout: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201144425762647/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/cc-from/1000cc/model/monster/make/ducati/quicksearch/true/radius/1501/postcode/ox183ly/page/2?logcode=p

samieb
07-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I prefered the M1100S for many reason's that both 1100Steve and Albie have mentioned. The 1 point I'd add to this, is that I like the 'Twin Spark' engines more than the 'Single spark'. Each to their own in the end, you pays your money and you makes your choice. :eyepopping:

mzrpmd
08-12-2011, 05:31 AM
Many thanks for all the feedback. I just missed a bargain 1100s on ebay yesterday, £5650 for Red Dog's old demo bike. Now that's a bargain! £8200 for a new Evo is good, can you tell me where that was?

tricolore
08-12-2011, 06:27 AM
I'll pm you with the ones I found, I paid a lot less for mine...

samieb
08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
My old M1100S is Ducati Manchester Red with 5600 miles, now I'm sure they'll do a deal if you ask them.

d8mok
08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I went throught the same dilemma but for me the 1100s simply looks better with the underseat exhaust and ohlins. Plus I also got told the evo is more upright too.

I do prefer the Evo rearsets though.

I reckon that the 1100s will become quite sort after too in years to come.

Albie
08-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Whichever you choose they are both very good bikes and both are good looking. I would have either honestly. Try before you buy but their are slight differances between them.
Handle bar height higher on evo
Lighter clutch but different snatch point on evo
ABS and traction control on evo
Only single spark ( not as smooth power delivery) on evo
Slightly different suspension
Nice sounding stock exhaust on evo

singletrack
08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
I have an 1100 EVO which I love, but I would be just as happy with an 1100S.
Both bikes have advantages and disadvantages.
I went for the EVO because I wanted a new bike and the EVO had just been released.
If I were buying second-hand I would probably go for the 1100S because I prefer the twin-spark engine, the look of the Ohlins and the look of the dry clutch, but then again I prefer the colour of the EVO (black in my case), the feel of the wet clutch and the stacked exhaust.
I am not sure the ABS or traction control are necessary but you may find that in the future that people expect ABS on bikes and it will be easier to sell with it ( this has already happened with some BMWs) although it does have the disadvantage of making the fuel tank smaller. (Do you do many long journeys - not much more than 100 miles per tank)
In the end go for whichever you like the look of - both are great bikes, I wouldn't get an S4RS because I don't find the riding position as comfortable and I do not think the handling is as precise - but I am sure others would disagree.

Albie
08-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Exactly right Anne. Im actually glad that they are both great bikes and really nothing in then other than maybe ducati fixing the things that people not necessrily liked.

As I said earlier Rally has vigourously road tested the first evo with MCN guys and it showed him what fun these 1100 engined aircooled are about. So much so he went and got the 1100s and made it a twin to his immaculate white/red s4rs.
He certainly knows how to ride both bikes and as I say you will be pleased with either. Rally actually seems to ride the 1100s more...
I as Singletrack did want a new bike and I too got a bargain at £8450 saving £1300 by buying a white one ?????

Take your time and think. There are enough deals going around.
I would gladly take an EVO but there is no benefit to me. I like the new mods too. New or old is your decision

uksurfer
08-12-2011, 10:59 AM
IMHO
The 1100s has all the toys
The Evo is stock

I'd buy a 796

Char
08-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I'd have to go for an 848 SF and stick it in the naughty corner

New monsters still dont do it for me

RickyX
08-12-2011, 04:57 PM
I bought my 1100S as a sensible, comfy, easy to ride commuter (compared to my other bikes) - a task it performs very well.

I took it on a TD in November for a laugh and to "christen" it - I had no expectations in advance and thought it would be a bit crap but a laugh on the track. I was most surprised by how well it behaved on the track (as was my mate on his 'blade when I 'ad 'im into Paddock Hill:thumbsup:).
It was a bit soft on the brakes (lots of dive) but still very stable. Grunt out of Druids was adequate and enough to keep Gixxers etc off my tail.

Bad points:

- Naff murky gold wheels.
- OE brake pads are made of wood.
- OE mudguard is criminally ugly
- OE mirrors are exactly the same height as most car mirrors so make filtering a bit of a pain.

Get one.