PDA

View Full Version : Which Manual

littlejimmy12
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
which Haynes manual do I nees for my S4 with a 996 engine in it!

winter rebuild planned, right down to frame and engine out.

going to create something a little special

rac3r
01-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm guessing both S4R and S4 :chuckle:

Been told by the mechanic that Haynes aren't great and it's better to use a workshop manual. I use both depending on what I'm doing. Ebay have workshop manuals on CD I think

littlejimmy12
02-12-2011, 07:13 AM
ok cool I'll hit the bay

slob
02-12-2011, 07:25 AM
check these downloads out too

http://www.duc.nu/manuals/

utopia
02-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Been told by the mechanic that Haynes aren't great and it's better to use a workshop manual. I use both depending on what I'm doing.

I too use both.
Of the two, I'd say that the Haynes is actually the most useful. I find the genuine ducati manuals are less well organised and don't give such logical, step-by step descriptions of procedures, particularly for the home mechanic who doesn't have the benefit of manufacturers training schemes etc. They're not so well indexed either.
Both are worth having, but if you're limited to one, I might go for the Haynes, though the ducati ones are model specific wheras the Haynes are not and will have to be sifted for the bits that apply to your particular bike.

littlejimmy12
02-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Thank you all, very much looking forward to my favourite past time, tea, oil, overalls.

rac3r
02-12-2011, 12:54 PM
What's the plan now? Lightweight frame like Capo? :D

the_adam
02-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Little point about the workshop manuals on ebay, after buying one for the XTC I discovered that the same document was actually free to download on the internet, someone's probably doing quite well out of them. Could be worth a check first :thumbsup:

slob
02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Good point, if you check my link make sure you get the workshop manual NOT the owners manual

littlejimmy12
04-12-2011, 04:39 PM
What's the plan now? Lightweight frame like Capo? :D

no as I have not yet mastered the art of growing money on trees no lightweight frame.

Plan - frame, tank black
Engine - dark grey and black
wiring - tidied up
swing arm - matt black

then a few maintenence bits like shocks, barings, belts etc

and if I get a pay rise then a motogadget micro clock and off to proteam for an engine spruce.

I will be looking at ways of cheaply losing some weight, so any suggestions