PDA

View Full Version : winter project bike for anyone? (125cc)

the_adam
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi all,

Just wondered if you might know anyone that would be interested in a small bike for a winter project, I'm moving soon and hoping not to take it with me!

'05 Sachs XTC (the 4-stroke version) that's been messed about with quite a bit, this photo's quite old but it still looks essentially the same except it no longer has the rim tape -

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/the_adam_m695/DSCF4488.jpg

Vague list of modifications -

Short ART exhaust under seat (loud!), airbox removed and replaced with K&N cone filter+breather, carbs rejetted to match
Fairings removed
Renthal bars + risers fitted through original yoke
WRC fibreglass hugger
Hesa Fire headlight with LED angel eye (looks very good at night, it's just 4 LEDs in the day!)
Stebel Nautilus air horn (currently run through the main fuse, could do with a separate one putting in)
Short motocross-style levers
Koso digital dash, speedo seemed to under-read very slightly

Since I got the Monster a couple of years ago it's been sat there doing nothing so will need a bit of attention to get it back on the road -

Needs new bearings - I have both sets of wheel ones ready to be fitted, the yoke is also VERY difficult to turn but haven't come across a replacement bearing yet
Rear sprocket is slightly wobbly when the wheel is off - probably needs cush drive rubber replacing
One indictator + front brake light switch not working
Usual maintenance - chain/fluids etc
Paint was done at home with hammerite spray so could be better, several bits redone quite recently though
Wiring loom is a mess - a previous owner had spliced their own wires in everywhere, I've tidied it up slightly and replaced their tape joins with crimped connectors - it works fine but really needs looking at
I have 2 batteries for it which work but hold very little charge - also bought a decent Bosch one but (being an Adam :D) I've managed to lose the acid for it! Should hopefully be sorted soon so it can be seen running.
Bought as a presumably stolen-recovered bike from a salvage dealer (it had clearly been in a fairly minor crash too), I've replaced the damaged tank cap and ignition myself (ignition currently only fits the wrong way round so there is no steering lock, it only came with the red key). HPI clear and I have the full registration document.
The XTC is known for letting water into the tank, and this one is no exception. We tried to improvise a gasket underneath the filler cap which has improved the sitution but not fixed it - if kept out in the rain it really needs to be covered, I've never had it cut out while riding though. A tankbag would easily solve the problem for anyone that's concerned (I have a spare one that can go with it)

the_adam
01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
[continued]

This bike as far as I know isn't in production anymore but it seems to share parts with various others (from memory the engine is from a suzuki fx125, wheels cagiva mito, tank aprilia rs125) and the essentials are available from wemoto. There always seems to be a reasonable number of used parts on ebay too

Basically, a few things have been improvised and it needs some attention but was a brilliant learner bike once I'd got its problems fixed (it came to me with various electrical and carb issues which have been sorted out), was used for commuting for quite some time and the only issue I had was a broken clutch cable. Still worked fine when I last rode it (to go meet the Monster!:thumbsup:), the problems have all come from me liking its replacement slightly too much and somehow not getting round to selling it sooner. I've started it up a couple of times recently and all seems well, as with any 125 it needs to be left a while to warm up before setting off in cold weather though. I originally paid £600 (then spent a crazy amount getting it ready to ride) - the same would be ideal but any kind of offers considered, if I don't get anything reasonable I may end up taking it with me and breaking for parts. You'd also need to find some way of picking it up/arrange a courier as it's not rideable and the bike is my only transport

I'll put up some current photos once I've got things sorted, it's in a couple of pieces at the moment :) Sorry for the long post, wanted to give the best description I could

Albie
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice looking learner bike IMHO. A bit small for me as a project but if I was 17 I would like one. Very monster/ducati like. Is it a honda/yamaha engine in it or is it sach's.

Good luck with the sale and it would be a shame to break it for spares even though you get more money generally, it means it wont ever go down the street again. Another bike lost to the world.

the_adam
01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks :) It's a suzuki engine, from the fx125 i think (VERY different bike!) It really did make a nice learner bike although it was almost Ducati-like in terms of reliability to begin with. Probably wasn't the best idea to have a project for a first bike but I guess I did learn a lot more. Rode it for a while after I passed too, on the flat it'd get up to motorway speeds without too much trouble (if not much more).

You've reminded me, I should probably point out it's a full-sized bike with a small engine unlike most other 125s, with my short legs I could just about reach the floor on it wheras the Monster is perfect for height. People tended to mistake it for a 400cc once the L-plates were off

Considering all the work I put in at the start I'd rather not break it if someone's prepared to do some more, afraid I've neglected it a little so it's not quite as shiny as in the photo. That bit's easily fixed though :thumbsup:

utopia
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Hmmmm.
Can't help thinking that this would make a nice rolling chassis to (try to) install my spare 650 Dominator engine in....I've been toying with the idea of a road-focused big single for ages.
However, its completely out of the question financially, at the moment.
Food for thought for others maybe.....?

the_adam
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I seriously considered a bigger engine before getting the Monster but figured I'd be better off with a whole bike. Have heard of a couple with 250s put in them and I'm sure I remember someone managing to get a 5or600cc engine in one a few years ago. Makes you wonder how much of a safety factor they use when designing the frame :)

He11cat
01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Thats a cute little 125 !! ... bugger Cantilevered shock I spy...
A total bugger to lower for my height.
Thats what put me off buying an SS the last one I had done ...don't ask its no fun.
And a tall 125 !

Its a dear little bike :) good luck would be a shame to break it!!

Im sticking to my Rat CG its bullet proof but slow as.. and well ratty!

the_adam
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
If you could put really small wheels on it (I'm thinking folding bicycle proportions) it might be low enough? ;)

Nickj
01-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Probably take the 200, 240 and 400 suzy motors, the moint points are pretty similar.
Someones got to ask, what you looking for on this LOL and how many bits is it in?

the_adam
02-12-2011, 08:20 AM
When I say it's in bits it's only got the back wheel and seat off so I could have a go at improving the paint on the swingarm, plus I've wired up a replacement grip on the right side (ignition switch had died) so that needs fitting. Chances are there's some water to drain out of the tank too since it's kept outside. Shouldn't take long to get it at least looking like a complete bike again, it's finding that battery acid that'll be interesting ;) I'm away at the weekend but will see if it's possible to get a couple of daylight pictures at some point, that'll give a better idea of the condition it's in.

Didn't say a price because I honestly don't know how much I'll be able to get for it, the £600 I originally paid would be great but I doubt anyone will pay that for a project, it was only a couple of years old at the time. Open to offers really :)