PDA

View Full Version : WDW 2012 with or without pillion?/

The Red Devil
26-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi guys... am keen to go to WDW next year and in discussing with the wife... who is lovely and is happy for me to go... i was wondering as i have never been before or indeed travelled such a distance on my bike... would it be fun for a pillion too..(the Mrs) or is it likely to be more enjoyable solo? :drunk:

Capo
26-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I doubt the comfort of sitting on what passes for a pillion seat for a couple of thousand miles, plus the extra luggage.

buzzbomb
26-11-2011, 08:15 PM
My advise John would be to travel solo and send your wife to Rimini by plane and pick her up at the airport, that way she gets to enjoy WDW and not have a sore bum or get soaked and you get to have a great ride down hopefully with some more of the...:ukm:

slob
27-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Thuli and I did 3000 miles there and back (we took scenic routes) in 2010. You need to plan luggage pretty carefully, 30L on tank and 25L in a rucksack to last for 2 weeks . A gel seat will help but your Mrs. will still need to be a hard b*stard IMHO.

Barthog
27-11-2011, 08:34 AM
We both did the last WDW on a 1100S,
Mrs had a great time, it is tough but she wants to go again cannot have been that bad.
We used Ventura and tankbag but next time will use textiles as leathers and waterproofs waste space.
And you have 400 miles less to go!

nuttynick
27-11-2011, 08:37 AM
I would agree with the other guys, it's a long way to be sat on what Ducati call a seat. I came back from Paul Ricard in the early 90's with a guy we met from Suffolk who had an FZ600. His girlfriend was actually crying after a few hours. We ended up shifting luggage around so she could go pillion on our bikes, swapping at fuel stops. Unless you plan in short stunts each day I would suggest she travels by plane.

Grumpy
27-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi guys... am keen to go to WDW next year and in discussing with the wife... who is lovely and is happy for me to go... i was wondering as i have never been before or indeed travelled such a distance on my bike... would it be fun for a pillion too..(the Mrs) or is it likely to be more enjoyable solo? :drunk:

I would suggest you fly the missus out, as a Monster is not really a two up long distance bike.

I have already looked at flights to Rimini for me girlfriend, to Rimini, and they are filling up rapidly and expensive!
I have opted to fly the girlfriend to Milan, as its half the cost and has more flight options, and pick her up. We are then riding the last couple of hundred miles to Cattolica on the bike.

Thuli
27-11-2011, 11:29 AM
There were hellish days (two days of driving rain through France on the return) and my hip started to cramp up on the way to Cattolica which was very unpleasant, causing us to stop more frequently than otherwise necessary. Having since been on long (but not quite that long) trips with the new acquisition of a gel seat, I think my endurance would be considerably improved.

Luggage has to be minimised as much as possible; just be prepared to wear dirty clothes until you get to your destination and are able to wash them all. It doesn’t really make much difference since your days are mostly on the bike. The more long journeys I notch up, the less I care what I look and smell like; my concerns lie entirely with preventing back and shoulder pain and I am therefore on a constant mission to lighten the load even further.

I don’t think I’d have enjoyed the experience as much had I flown out to meet slob then just attended WDW; riding with him makes me feel a part of the experience rather than a visitor plus I’d never been to those parts of the world before and would have regretted not seeing and experiencing them. The places you stop, things you see, smells you smell, meals you have, people you encounter are what make these trips for me. Even though, in the driving rain, I swore in my helmet never to repeat the experience, in retrospect, of course I would!

Time constraints/other commitments would be the only thing/s that would make me resort to the flight option.

One caveat: unless I learn to ride myself and we can opt for the ideal situation, without a gel seat I wouldn’t consider it.

gary tompkins
27-11-2011, 11:34 AM
2000+ miles on the trike solo was tough on my arse

Anyone that undertakes it pillion on stock seat deserves a medal IMO

The Red Devil
27-11-2011, 02:27 PM
There were hellish days (two days of driving rain through France on the return) and my hip started to cramp up on the way to Cattolica which was very unpleasant, causing us to stop more frequently than otherwise necessary. Having since been on long (but not quite that long) trips with the new acquisition of a gel seat, I think my endurance would be considerably improved.

Luggage has to be minimised as much as possible; just be prepared to wear dirty clothes until you get to your destination and are able to wash them all. It doesn’t really make much difference since your days are mostly on the bike. The more long journeys I notch up, the less I care what I look and smell like; my concerns lie entirely with preventing back and shoulder pain and I am therefore on a constant mission to lighten the load even further.

I don’t think I’d have enjoyed the experience as much had I flown out to meet slob then just attended WDW; riding with him makes me feel a part of the experience rather than a visitor plus I’d never been to those parts of the world before and would have regretted not seeing and experiencing them. The places you stop, things you see, smells you smell, meals you have, people you encounter are what make these trips for me. Even though, in the driving rain, I swore in my helmet never to repeat the experience, in retrospect, of course I would!

Time constraints/other commitments would be the only thing/s that would make me resort to the flight option.

One caveat: unless I learn to ride myself and we can opt for the ideal situation, without a gel seat I wouldn’t consider it.

Thanks for all the advice... Mrs is soft n fulffy with the heart of a lion... when we did our driveway last year she shifted 20 tonnes of bricks in a wheelbarrow and loaded a skip with 3 tonnes of rubble...however looking at her you would think she is very fragile... she doesn't share my passion for bikes but is interested in a trip with me.... not sure this is the one... thanks for your insight Thuli.. much appreciated ... thats that idea flushed:toilet:

He11cat
27-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Start off small.....
Why don't you get her to go on some little trips or a trip away for the weekend? A little bit of luggage and then you both can get the feel of it ?

Its nice when your other half bites the bullet and goes with the bike...

I used to love it before I passed my test.
Used to pillion and travel with a couple of lads I was with in the old days .. but that was in the late 80's early 90's when seats where like sofas even on sporty bike :) and I was about 8 stone!

With my ample ass now no way !!!! Im not a tiny little woman .. im like a short stumpy large rumped fellwell pony! Stubborn with it :)

Once I rode myself that was it ... I went to pillion on a V strom the other week I said to the bloke look I need a step ladder!!!!!. yuk!!!! too high up!

Now a proper old Guzzi arghhhhhhh thats a seat!!!

Try a few short rides ... then see how it pans out she may really like it, you never know !
If not fly the missus out take a couple extra days and do WDW but also a couple of days doing stuff she may like or a bit of site seeing ... make a trip of it for both of you.
A bit of give and take does the trick.

Small Clanger
27-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Unless you're both used to spending long hours in the saddle and doing 350/450 mile days, travelling on a motorbike can soon become torture. It's not too bad when the weather's warm and dry and the traffic is not too bad but factor in strange cities and tropical monsoons and things get fraught, quickly.
Obviously, if we were all put off by these things, we would never go anywhere so, if you're definately planning on making the trip, get some serious mileage in first. You'll enjoy it!
Figure out what's the best kit for the ride, not for the pose and don't take stuff you don't need.
When I bought the first GS12 I'd start out for a weeks trip with full tin panniers, tankbag, tailpack and a Camelbak. Twenty-odd thousand miles down the line and I could fit everything I needed into a Kriega US20 and the pockets of my Rallye Pro suit.

I have'nt tried any long trips on the Evo yet, that'll have to wait now, but I'm certain it'll be an ideal bike for covering big daily miles (memo to self, get some earplugs) It has a similar riding position and big torquey motor to an R1200S on which I could do 10/11 hour days, no problem.

At least you'll be able to stretch the legs at every petrol station between here and Italy. :mand:

gary tompkins
27-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Unless you're both used to spending long hours in the saddle and doing 350/450 mile days, travelling on a motorbike can soon become torture.

If you're punishing yourself with 450 mile stints and not enjoying it, then you have no one but yourself to blame. Setting sensible daily limits on european jaunts is must, otherwise the trip will become a chore.. especially with a pillion. Don't expect someone to present you with a medal in Misano just because you managed to get there in under 3 days.

Altaian
29-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the advice... not sure this is the one... thanks for your insight Thuli.. much appreciated ... thats that idea flushed:toilet:

Keep the idea alive, and look at alternatives Red Devil. Thuli's words should inspire you to share the experience. How will a partner understand the passion unless they experience it first hand it is exhilerating.

Let's be honest, you can tour on any bike, and the comfort will depend on how many miles you do based on the type of seat & riding position - whether you are the rider or pillion. GT's right, you ain't gonna get a medal for racing there. It is one of those subjects, where the journey is as important as the destination... Seeing the Alps, and riding through them needs to be done first hand be it rider or pillion.

Luggage is a personal choice, but the two important factors are 'weight' & 'volume'. Invariably the first time you will take too much, but hey it all goes down to a learning experience.

I cannot comment on a gel seat, however I can on an alternative. I did 3.5K this Aug/Sep into Germany, and I used an Airhawk seat. There are two types dependent on budget, they come in different sizes for different seats, and there are pillion versions. Where as I believe a gel seat provides cushioning dependent on pressure, the airhawk works by moving air around an inner tube (bit like an intestine), so the air moves around when you shift your ar$e. There is a valve through which you can inflate or deflate dependent on weight and comfort. I can testify that it made my trip, and don't think I'd have made it as far without one. They were also used by Charlie Boorman & Ewen McGreggor in their long way round & down trips - their testiments I believe are on the web.

You can find details on them here:

http://www.airhawk.co.uk/airhawk-for-bikes.html

Regardless of option, I agree with He11cat, and plan some smaller trips first, so as you can experiment with luggage options, and perhaps even take more than you need, so you can also get a feel for the additional weight distribution & drag - as the aerodynamics will change.

It's also important to look into luggage & racking options early, so as to give you more chance of seeing different systems. Sadly Ducati luggage isn't water-resistent & takes an age to arrive. I'd recommend Givi & Kriega. Givi do a range of racks specific to bike, and various options of either hard or soft panniers.

Givi: Monster 1100 evo options:
http://www.givi.co.uk/My-motorcycle/?ma=DUCATI&mo=Monster-1100-Evo-11

If you incorporate a top box & side bags, your pillion will also have a comfy back rest - which will also add to re-assurance.

Just thoughts JR. If you want to take a closer look at the Airhawk, I can always bring it along to a meet, or it's not far for you to go to the UK importer: Bykebitz is just off the M3 in Yately Hampshire: GU46 7UR

I went for the neoprene option, but I believe you get what you pay for.

Altaian
29-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Just remember, luggage is practical, not necessarily aesthetically pleasing... But Givi is Italian… :hail:

The Red Devil
29-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Keep the idea alive, and look at alternatives Red Devil. Thuli's words should inspire you to share the experience. How will a partner understand the passion unless they experience it first hand it is exhilerating.

Let's be honest, you can tour on any bike, and the comfort will depend on how many miles you do based on the type of seat & riding position - whether you are the rider or pillion. GT's right, you ain't gonna get a medal for racing there. It is one of those subjects, where the journey is as important as the destination... Seeing the Alps, and riding through them needs to be done first hand be it rider or pillion.

Luggage is a personal choice, but the two important factors are 'weight' & 'volume'. Invariably the first time you will take too much, but hey it all goes down to a learning experience.

I cannot comment on a gel seat, however I can on an alternative. I did 3.5K this Aug/Sep into Germany, and I used an Airhawk seat. There are two types dependent on budget, they come in different sizes for different seats, and there are pillion versions. Where as I believe a gel seat provides cushioning dependent on pressure, the airhawk works by moving air around an inner tube (bit like an intestine), so the air moves around when you shift your ar$e. There is a valve through which you can inflate or deflate dependent on weight and comfort. I can testify that it made my trip, and don't think I'd have made it as far without one. They were also used by Charlie Boorman & Ewen McGreggor in their long way round & down trips - their testiments I believe are on the web.

You can find details on them here:

http://www.airhawk.co.uk/airhawk-for-bikes.html

Regardless of option, I agree with He11cat, and plan some smaller trips first, so as you can experiment with luggage options, and perhaps even take more than you need, so you can also get a feel for the additional weight distribution & drag - as the aerodynamics will change.

It's also important to look into luggage & racking options early, so as to give you more chance of seeing different systems. Sadly Ducati luggage isn't water-resistent & takes an age to arrive. I'd recommend Givi & Kriega. Givi do a range of racks specific to bike, and various options of either hard or soft panniers.

Givi: Monster 1100 evo options:

If you incorporate a top box & side bags, your pillion will also have a comfy back rest - which will also add to re-assurance.

Just thoughts JR. If you want to take a closer look at the Airhawk, I can always bring it along to a meet, or it's not far for you to go to the UK importer: Bykebitz is just off the M3 in Yately Hampshire: GU46 7UR

I went for the neoprene option, but I believe you get what you pay for.

Cheers for the advice G....do airhawk do a massage version?
although i think you might have an ulterior motive
for wanting my Mrs to come along LOL !!:D

SunEye
30-11-2011, 09:00 AM
I would definitely suggest some practice runs to see how you and a pillion cope with long distances on the bike.

I've got the touring seat on my M1100. That does make a difference to my riding comfort. I have ridden 600 mile days on it and can manage to ride 150 miles between fuel stops without a break (non ABS bike so 15 litre fuel tank ;) ). However that is not to say that I wouldn't appreciate a more comfortable seat when riding like that.

Personally for an enjoyable ride on normal roads across Europe 500 mile days would be my target. This would drop to 350-400 when tackling small twisty mountain roads. I would expect to be spending 8-10 hours of actual riding. However it's best to know what you can do before tackling a long journey.

I would suggest a practice trip up to Scotland or even across to France for a weekend is well worth it so that you're prepared for going to WDW and know what you're getting yourself (and potentially your pillion) into.

Altaian
30-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Cheers for the advice G....do airhawk do a massage version? although i think you might have an ulterior motive for wanting my Mrs to come along LOL !!:D

Shocking accusation :shocked:

If this is going to be your first venture into Europe, make it all it can be. If your 'Mrs' is interested in sharing an adventure with you on the Monster, make it one that will make her think that it's the first of many, not the last.

I've never pillioned for a long time, and never for any great distance. Just trying to help by offering advice so as to make it comfortable.

I didn't know of the airhawk on the first trip, though debated a gel seat. I'd already invested in the DP seat, so wanted to know the result on that investment before I bought additional. It wasn't designed for touring.

For this year's trip, I bought the DP touring seat - although it was slightly more comfortable, I must say it was only marginally more so. The airhawk was a new level of comfort.

Ultimately it's not just comfort, it's safety. There ain't no fun having a sore ar$e, and if that's on your mind, the riding isn't. As they also do a pillion version, you can both benefit.

As for a massage version, I think you're gonna have to roll your sleaves up for that... :devil: