PDA

View Full Version : How many plugs in one tyre?

bex
26-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Yep, another nail.

I got a temporary plug a while back.... is it ok to do more than one/several in one tyre?

This one is central-ish.

Grr.

Nickj
26-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I would feel happier if they were the ones like mushrooms.
They are a tight fit plug and ought to have been plastered in glue when they were rammed in. The tyres pressure (plus glue, tight fit and fat retainer end inside tyre) is keeping them in place.
Some won't ride a tyre with one plug others are OK with it.
I had one with 3, a bad few days in devon. Never quite trusted it but it managed a few thousand miles on it though.

Saint aka ML
26-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Speak to any bike courier and mention that people do throw away tyre because of one or two central punctures and they will lough in your face.

Rally
26-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I have seen as many as 20 plugs in ATV tyres, but only 4 in a bike tyre. Its not the quantity but the quality of each repair that counts.

bex
26-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks chaps. I seem to be a magnet for nails.

Saint aka ML
26-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks chaps. I seem to be a magnet for nails.

As long as it's not magnet for tools

Lima071
27-11-2011, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't ride with any in the front tyre. When a tyre comes off it can lock a wheel. On the back it could be manageable, but on the front you will face plant.
Ride safe.

slob
27-11-2011, 08:19 AM
fortunately the front tyre usually seems to stand the nail up for the rear to catch, almost all my punctures have been rears. Sod's law says it's an almost new tyre, I've had two or three (permanent mushroom type) plugs in a tyre before.

bex
27-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Yep its in the rear again. Will see about getting it fixed.

Want a set of Road 3s but don't see much point shelling out for them at this time of year when the bikes used less and mostly round the City, where I'm likely just to pick up another one anyway.

Rally
27-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't ride with any in the front tyre. When a tyre comes off it can lock a wheel. On the back it could be manageable, but on the front you will face plant.
Ride safe.

I have had a number of blowouts over the years and always found the fronts easier to control. It's because you can hang on to the bars whereas with the rear it gives you tank slappers!