PDA

View Full Version : Weird email from a would be buyer

Phatty
25-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Got my Monster advertised on Pistonheads.

I got an email last night, but it didn't come through until about 21:20, even though the mark on the email said it was sent at 16:37.

After sending loads of pictures and info to the guy (including reluctantly repeating info which was already in the ad) The guy how now said this:-

===================================

I would have call you to finalize the sales unfortunately i am deaf impaired so i won't be able to call you.interested and wanted to get it this week.

let me know your last asking price as well as the condition of the following:

Front and rear tire?
crank shaft with con rod?
bearings and seals?
the gearbox,chain and sprocket?
brakepads (front and back) e.t.c.

i await your response.

===========================

The poor grammar, stupid questions and Americanised spelling is making me think "scam".

What do you reckon? tell him to do one? I don't want to offend the guy is he actually is "deaf impaired", but I'm smelling a rat here...

Trent
25-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Looks like a scam to me...
Have had similar emails / requests for info myself...

Rally
25-11-2011, 12:09 PM
A big rat by the looks of it, but hey ho, it will only take a minute to give a few answers and who knows; Maybe we are both wrong?

utopia
25-11-2011, 12:14 PM
At least he didn't ask how loud the cans are !!!

Char
25-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Just dont give our your bank details - cash on collection/delivery only - looks like a standard scam , had those when I advertised on Piston Heads

the_adam
25-11-2011, 12:19 PM
It does seem a little unusual, but then having sold a few things even on here I've had people not reading the description/bad spelling/grammar. Since it's a working bike I'd be a bit suspicious that he hasn't asked for a test ride? If you're worried you don't have to sell it to him though, and if you do definitely make sure it's a form of payment with a bit of protection and (if this applies) the full amount has cleared before you hand it over.

As for wanting a final asking price, if it was me I'd have priced it at the least I was prepared to get and be a bit annoyed if someone wanted to knock even more off it, unless you've asked for offers that is. Know not everyone does it that way though :)

gary tompkins
25-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Piston heads is scam city central that's regulary hacked, with plenty of dubious bikes, cars etc. advertised by crooks. I wouldn't touch that website with very long, feces covered stick.

J.P
25-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Bad spelling shouldn't be the only reason to be suspicious, but asking you want condition the crankshaft is in must be from a right numpty.
If he wants it, get him to paypal you a deposit for £250, and arrange to meet him in a nearby supermarket car park, and tell him (loudly) to bring cash. :)

Phatty
25-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Suspicions confirmed

I'll humour the guy for a while, see how much of his time I can waste. :devil:

Nickj
25-11-2011, 02:04 PM
US spull chicker is nevur a gud sine. Inglish use skills poor ... you'll either be met by a mob of eastern europeans or nigerians, either way not what you want.

I'd give a little more info on the lines of..

Front and rear tires are not at all tired.
Bearings are good but the seals are bit of a problem constantly demanding fish

Phatty
25-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Just googled him email address, top of the page was this:-

http://www.dailyscamalerts.com/archives/eco-international-bank-nig-plc.htm

J.P
25-11-2011, 03:29 PM
How does anyone every believe that sort of rubbish ?

LVC
25-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Maybe if you write louder he'll hear the replies better ... lol

The world seems to be full of time wasters and con-artists - bring back Kenny Everett ... "round them all up, put them in a field and bomb the b**tards!!!"

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100919131159/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/e/e3/General_Cheeseburger.jpg/250px-General_Cheeseburger.jpg

rac3r
25-11-2011, 05:46 PM
The amount of times I've won the Australian Lottery :D

knuckledragger
25-11-2011, 08:29 PM
More dodgy than a big bag of dodgy things on a dodgy day. Mail back and tell him your blind but everything feels ok......

johnboy44
25-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Be careful, a friend of mine just had two mx bikes stolen, all he did was give the guy his postcode

Phatty
25-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Haha

He's still at it, clown.

===============

Hope still intact? really interested and want to get it picked up immediately you have the payment

how do you want it paid? i can made out a bankers draft tomorrow and ask my transporter to come for inspection/pick up soon as you receive and confirm the payment.all you need to get back to me is :

Name to be on the draft....
your full contact address...

as well as your phone number so that the transporter can call you for pick up arrangement.

Hope i can count on you? I look forward ti hearing from you

uksurfer
25-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I think you should sell him the bike, and send him the cheque for five thousand pounds too
Nothing dodgy there ;-)

revver
25-11-2011, 09:36 PM
How the hell could anyone fall for that. It is so obvious

gary tompkins
25-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe you need to spell it out for him?

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa172/jessstone14/SignLanguage.jpg

knuckledragger
25-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Please mail him back with the post code of the local nick and some daft name.......go on

Phatty
25-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Too late, already told him to **** off

rac3r
25-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Please mail him back with the post code of the local nick and some daft name.......go on

Was going to say the same thing :chuckle:

He11cat
25-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Thats not Makaton sign language !!!!..... I am learning it at the moment :)