PDA

View Full Version : New laws and more red tape from DVLA - Please read

Rally
16-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I have just recieved a tax renewal reminder and there was a new (To me) leaflet inside. It is now illegal to have a vehicle that is taxed and uninsured, even if it is not being used on the road. So, if your insurance runs out and you decide not to renew until the Spring, but the tax is still okay for a month or two, you can be fined £100 fixed penalty, taken to court for a maximum fine of £1000, or have the vehicle crushed if it is on the road. (ONLY STUPID PEOPLE WOULD DO THAT SURELY!)

If you want to check your vehicle is showing on the DVLA computer as insured, check it out at www.askMID.com You may be surprised what you find, as when I checked mine, only the 1st bike on the multi bike policy shows up as being insured, the others show as uninsured! If you find this, contact your insurance provider and they can correct it for you.

So, if your collectable bike with free pre 1971 tax is taxed and you are not insured, you are breaking the law. :thumbsdown:

buzzbomb
16-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks Alun I've just checked my bikes and van.

All checked out OK.

Jeez its a bugger just staying on the right side of the law.

In yesterdays post was a new red V5C, in the enclosed letter it stated that they (DVLA) are replacing all blue V5 documents with red ones as a quantity of blue ones have been stolen,strikes me as another Cock Up.

jerry
16-11-2011, 12:34 PM
SORN the bike and you have no problems .

Stafford
16-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Memory lapse?
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=40275&highlight=dvla

rac3r
16-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Memory lapse?
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=40275&highlight=dvla

Hahaha

Thanks for reminding me anyway Rally!

Rally
16-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Another change for this month is the new MOT certificate. It is now printed out by the test station on plain white paper. It has no stamp from the test station, just a silly bit of paper that we could all copy. The idea being that Plod checks them on his computer anyway, so there is not really a need for a certificate anyway.

And yes Stafford, it looks like my memory may be fading OR just maybe i'm just too helpful to you lot and think you need reminding from time to time! :thumbsup:

He11cat
16-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Goverment probably sacked the printing firm !
Or saving on four colour process

chris yeatman
16-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Bike and car all good, cheers rally.

Grumpy
16-11-2011, 06:19 PM
The idea of the new MOT's is to save the DVLA money.

My local dealer MOTed my S4 last week and I was issued with the new style.
I enquired as to why the change, and was informed that DVLA was supplying the forms and ink cartridges for the old style test certificates, not any more. The dealer now has to supply all stationary and ink for the certificates.

uksurfer
16-11-2011, 07:32 PM
i think i got insurance, not sure about the other business with multi bikes though

Nickj
17-11-2011, 02:45 PM
As Jerry points out if it's on a SORN notice you're OK, or that's what the current DVLA site says.

The idea is to catch all of those bad people who don't have MOT, tax or insurance... who in any case won't have registered the car/bike in their name to start with and probably don't have a licence to put points onto to start with and don't give a carp to start with.
It'll be a waste of time.

Lowsider
18-11-2011, 05:29 PM
All MOT Testing stations originally used Epson LQ300+ II dot matrix to print the Certificates on. Now they use Epson M2400 Laser printers and as part of the plain paper project all the coloured documents were ditched to save costs. Is gonna save them a bucket load of cash.

Guess what... I work for Epson!