PDA

View Full Version : M750 project

Sam69
11-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Purchased an M750 here a few months ago started receiving parts back from the coaters after a few mods were done.
Waiting for the casings and heads to get the engine built back up and mounted in the frame then reassemble giving me the much needed room in the workshop. Few pics of before and newly painted bits.

Had to machine up a few spacers to fit the original wheel to the different forks, different sized bearings and such. Also added a few saddles to the inside of the frame to get rid of the unsightly cable tie syndrome.
I cleaned the carbs using a ultrasonic cleaner and fitted a stage 2 dynojet kit as I have cut the airbox and making a new exhaust 1 1/2 headers with two reverse cone megaphone "noiselencers" with a wee muffler on the end.

Mand
11-11-2011, 04:10 PM
As the most mechanically inept member of the ukmoc, I will ask just one question. Are you keeping the tank silver? :)

Sam69
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
As the most mechanically inept member of the ukmoc, I will ask just one question. Are you keeping the tank silver? :)

No! I was thinking down the lines of nipple pink! :) wait and see.

Mand
11-11-2011, 04:39 PM
No! I was thinking down the lines of nipple pink! :) wait and see.

:eek: best wait and see then! Mind you there was a fella a few years ago who had a candy pink monster....

Sam69
11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Not in Scotland tho!:)

gary tompkins
11-11-2011, 07:00 PM
:eek: best wait and see then! Mind you there was a fella a few years ago who had a candy pink monster....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp0_khFOcQTwjRjN1mYQtPejFDCnXhJ _Vin3PyfWNp1ZSE4438-nqn0TRSqw

Sam69
11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSp0_khFOcQTwjRjN1mYQtPejFDCnXhJ _Vin3PyfWNp1ZSE4438-nqn0TRSqw

Gimp mask and gay bar!:gay: bit suspect to me are you the one with the candy?

Mark Taylor
11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Lovin the wheels baking in front of the aga!

Nickj
11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
It was a worryingly rapid find that ;)

Sam69
23-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Heads and outer casings dipped and stripped blasted with coconut shell acid etch primed and painted with Tetrosyl ht paint ready for assembly.:)

Hopefully I will get this done on Saturday evening seeing as mrs indoors is having a crows evening then bolt it back into the chassis, it's been a slow progress lately.:grump:

J.P
23-11-2011, 04:22 PM
looks very smartly done. I think it'll look good when it's eventually finished

He11cat
24-11-2011, 12:23 AM
It looks fab..
Mine needs powder coating next year its giving me a headache , colours and finishes .
Usually I know what I want but I can't focus on this one...

The its back to the 600 for a few tweaks eventually he will get done but not for the next 3 years!!! I will wait til his engine paint starts to flake!

The 400 has little paint left on its engine.

Oh a tip for Mr Gimp

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/gimp.jpg

Sam69
24-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Needed a break this afternoon so torqed up my heads and put on the belts fitted a new crank seal as well. This will give me a head start for Saturday nights assembly,must be getting old don't want to go to the bar but rather play in the workshop.

Mand
24-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Or maybe you could have a little snifter whilst playing in your workshop? :spin:

Sam69
24-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Or maybe you could have a little snifter whilst playing in your workshop? :spin:

That will be in order, I will be delivering a brewing tank that I have just made for a local micro brewery on Saturday morning may bring back a wee keg to keep me company.:booze:

Sam69
25-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Saturday came early,grinding belts did not arrive for a job I am doing so some "me time" on a roll now.

Sam69
26-11-2011, 11:37 AM
S4 belly pan fitted a treat without any modifying. :)

Lima071
26-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Looking good so far mate.

He11cat
27-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Wow looking good!
On your downtime why not build the micro brewery in the shed for those moments when things don't turn up or don't go as planned?

Win win situation!

Mind you those tanks are not small!

Sam69
27-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Too busy making sloe Gin to get involved with the ale at the moment, have enough room tho! Managed 18 bottles this year bring on the snow!

gary tompkins
27-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Looks like you are making great progress on the bike.. and the gin ;)

Sam69
27-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Started on the exhaust system today going for a two into one reverse cone thingy, will make some sort of baffle using a 4" carbon tube on the end 3" perf tube and wadding.:eek:This is just a mock up final position not determined yet," but ye will git ma drift"

Lima071
27-11-2011, 06:54 PM
when "they" say 2 in to 1 on parallel twins work but on V / L twins it doesn't improve power the only thing I can see that is majorly different is the length and frictional losses on the rear cylinder.
Just a thought for you;
If you look at the losses on the rear/ shorter link pipe you could add a plate valve (washer with a hole) to get the pressures/ and fluid movement of the exhaust gasses equal on both cylinders.
Or just build it and see how it works.

Sam69
27-11-2011, 07:19 PM
when "they" say 2 in to 1 on parallel twins work but on V / L twins it doesn't improve power the only thing I can see that is majorly different is the length and frictional losses on the rear cylinder.
Just a thought for you;
If you look at the losses on the rear/ shorter link pipe you could add a plate valve (washer with a hole) to get the pressures/ and fluid movement of the exhaust gasses equal on both cylinders.
Or just build it and see how it works.

Both headers will be 21" long or very close to, the main cone is 24" long tapering to 4" with a 1" long reverse cone down to 3" this will improve mid range it has all be calculated tried and tested but not on this particular motor.Two separate exhausts will be better for top end. Look at the grand fathers of the belt drive 2v twins TT1 750 AND TT2 600 they worked well for four world titles using a two into one system. I dont see the washer being a good idea would be too much of a restriction I would rather do the head scratching and if need be double back using bends to get the correct length.I can reduce the cone dia at the end to gain more back pressure if needed. Well that's my interpretation of it anyway.:eyepopping:

I ran my Pantah with a works exhaust not only did it go well it sounded braw!
I would not say the std exhaust collector is the most advanced design when I first saw it I thought to myself what the feck is that supposed to be and was the first thing to be junked.

Sam69
13-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Electrics done, brake and clutch lines also just need to chase up the painter for my tank now and set about the exhaust.

utopia
13-12-2011, 11:54 AM
The 2-1 system will be interesting. Looks like you're planning a system like the one I was planning for my 750 (until I happened across some ridiculously cheap hi-level ti Termis).
Its always seemed to me that there's little point in carrying around two cans when one will do the job.
I like the look of the single can system too.
One thing that concerned me slightly was the fact that, in the std system, each cylinder exhausts through both silencers simultaneously, hence the pressure pulses will be much higher in the single can and I was concerned that this might tend to blow the can apart.
I guess there may also be a problem of getting enough silencing out of just the one can, though many would not see that as too much of a problem.
Stuart runs a 2-1 on his 750 though, and I don't think he has any problems with it.
There's something pure, natural and clean about a single can system.
Personally, I would say that, in your mock-up, the can looks a little long and might look better with a longer collector section and correspondingly shorter can.....just to mess up your calculations.
It might be easier to get maximum ground clearance that way too.
Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Sam69
13-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Had been with the idea of two stubby cans the last week or so dont like the long cone either, going to mock a shortie up and see what it looks like both sides was thinking of a 2" link after the header length to make up for the reduced cone length.I can use the long cone for my TT2 project.

gary tompkins
13-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Something like this maybe?

http://www.bikeexif.com/hypermotard-ducati

http://www.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hypermotard-ducati-2.jpg

Sam69
13-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Stubby reverse cone! not keen on the oval can.

utopia
14-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Dunno.
Can't look at it long enough to make my mind up cos its got open belts and they make me whince.
But probably not...I think Sam's pics look about right in general, but needs the early part of the taper replacing with straight pipe, and just possibly an inch losing from the overall length too.....maybe.
Don't like the stubby fat can on the black bike, and the system is too low slung and doesn't follow the lines of the bike very well.......all imho.

My current guess at the mysteries of exhaust design suggests that a longer system gives better mid and low range performance, and for that reason, coupled with my aforementioned reluctance to lug two cans around, my thinking is moving towards a single, hi-level can, 2-1 system.
My 750 certainly seemed more tractable when I put the hi-level cans and extension pipes on.
If your plans aren't set in stone yet, there's another option to conjure with, maybe.
But the mid slung, single tapered can look is classic.

I also wonder whether a narrow, tapered single can could provide enough silencing capacity, if it has to do the work of two cans....and any retrofitted baffles to quieten it would further increase the pressure loading on the can.

But a single can system must surely be a great way of losing a big chunk of weight.....not only do you lose one complete can, but you only have to buy one can too, so you can justify spending out for a really lightweight one, with ti internals etc.

I need to buy a welder, and learn to use it, don't I....?
.....and thus, I'm very interested to see what you come up with.

Nice job, so far.

Sam69
14-12-2011, 05:54 AM
The cone will have a 3" outlet with 100mm of carbon tube on the end, a 3" perforated baffle and wadding hopefully this will take the sting out of it.I don't live in a built up area so not too concerned about noise as long as it is not too offensive. Still considering using two but will see what it all looks like then decide what route to take.

Lima071
14-12-2011, 06:51 AM
I have been looking at altering the air intake on my streetfighter 900ssie project, and have found that you need to look at the system as a whole.
I like the long single cone, and you could balance the power distribution by reconfiguring the air intakes.
The 'washer' I talked about is a plate valve, and would help retain back pressure on the rear cylinder which is lost due to a lack of length, however I have then found out about intake length.
All of this might be common knowledge, but as my 900 is my first project, your build is of great interest and value to me.
Keep going mate.

Sam69
16-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Formed a 12" long cone today, I think that looks a lot better than the first one will probably go for one either side now.

Mand
16-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Ah its beginning to look like a motorbike now, lovely.:)

Panther
16-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Yer the exhaust is look alot better IMO :thumbsup: Keep up the good work

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=15723&d=1324057496

p

Mark Taylor
16-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Formed a 12" long cone today, I think that looks a lot better than the first one will probably go for one either side now.

Lovin the shorter reverse-cone pipe, reminds me of a pair of 'Anglo-bike' meggas I had on a 750 Tiger a LONG time ago - they used to sound fantastic, any chance you could nock me a pair up? if so how much?

utopia
17-12-2011, 02:53 AM
Yep, much better.
Looks like its neater at the thin end too...bit more ground clearance.
Two cans is probably the safer option (he said, tauntingly.....;) ).

Sam69
17-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Lovin the shorter reverse-cone pipe, reminds me of a pair of 'Anglo-bike' meggas I had on a 750 Tiger a LONG time ago - they used to sound fantastic, any chance you could nock me a pair up? if so how much?

I will see how this works out first! Sure it was Gold and Wassel that made the short reverse cones with alloy ends that I had on my BSA and Triumph. There is a guy on fleabay selling new shortie cones for not a lot of money baffled or without. I was going to use a short length of carbon and perforated tube on the end but will see how it looks first before I set it in stainless.I may pack the cone before welding on the end.

Yep, much better.
Looks like its neater at the thin end too...bit more ground clearance.
Two cans is probably the safer option (he said, tauntingly.....;) ).

Only for top end power! Which I am not too fussy about with living out in the country and lots of twisty roads.

GT Falcon
20-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Hi Anglo-bike Meggas that is a name I haven't heard for many a year! Had a pair on a custom 750 Bonnie about 25 yrs ago (ouch!) They sounded gorgeous! Your system is looking great

Sam69
30-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Finally got my tank and seat cowl back today, the painter had a wee mishap and had to repaint the tank but alls well now. Exhaust to finish and fill it up with oil oh better finish the fuel lines as well.

Lima071
31-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Finally got my tank and seat cowl back today, the painter had a wee mishap and had to repaint the tank but alls well now. Exhaust to finish and fill it up with oil oh better finish the fuel lines as well.

looking good

Sam69
07-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Made a couple of hangers for the exhausts between christmas and new year hope to get a couple of days free next week and finish the pipes off.

gary tompkins
07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Those cans look really good

If they end up sounding as good as these it will be awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXKUpNN4-0

Duc600mon
16-02-2012, 04:44 PM
loving the look of the exhaust!

Nottsbiker
16-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Looking great so far mate - giving me lots of ideas for my rebuild.

Sam69
20-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Not managed to get near my bike for some time now but managed a few hours this afternoon to do some more to my headers hopefully get them finished tomorrow.

Nottsbiker
20-02-2012, 08:56 PM
I like! Might be a little better if the cams kicked up in the air a little higher.

Sam69
20-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I like! Might be a little better if the cams kicked up in the air a little higher.

Along with a set of FCR's? I will save that for the grand finale after the TT2 and F1 build. Have something radical in the back of my mind, there is a 750ss for the donor lying in the corner for that.;)

Nottsbiker
21-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Just out of interest would you ever consider making another set of cans?

Im certainly in no hurry but like what you've made so far :)

Sam69
21-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Just out of interest would you ever consider making another set of cans?

Im certainly in no hurry but like what you've made so far :)

Hi,

I would rather see how they hold out first I have made them from .7 stainless not sure they will hold up to the pounding, glad you are not in a hurry as the way work is going it looks like I will be fully booked until the start of next winter.

Couple of pics of what I have achieved this morning glad the delivery was late so got a few hours done. All fully welded and polished to a fashion.

Nottsbiker
21-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah dont panic I'm only getting a rough plan together in my head at present.

Looks like some nice pipes you've made so far there - I'm guessing that you are fabricator / welder by trade?

Just looked at your profile - yup thought so :)

Sam69
21-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah dont panic I'm only getting a rough plan together in my head at present.

Looks like some nice pipes you've made so far there - I'm guessing that you are fabricator / welder by trade?

Just looked at your profile - yup thought so :)

Cheers! Aye thats what I do, mainly micro breweries now samples are great.

Sam69
21-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Decided to have the day off and finish my cans cut some 3" perforated tube packed them with stainless wool welded them up and gave them a weigh, came in at 2lb. now thats a great improvement on the std abortion that was on it before.:)

Nottsbiker
21-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Looks like you took them to the local church to be weighed by the looks of the background ;)

Are you going to polish or paint etc the cans?

Sam69
21-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I have sent away for a Norton Vortex polishing disc to give it a try I had the Norton rep in yesterday but he did not have any to give as a sample. This disc removes and gives a polished finish in one go it is a form of a unitised disc. I will see how it looks if not upto scratch (no pun intended) I will paint black. R.E. window : I have a friend who does stained glass as a hobby.

Nottsbiker
21-02-2012, 09:20 PM
The window looks good - a friend of mine had one of a bike over his front door years back which I was always envious of.

Sound like you have done good contacts there then mate - can't best some inside help out trade price etc on the pdf part or three

gary tompkins
21-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Really nice welding - very impressive work

Sam69
22-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Are you going to polish or paint etc the cans?

Looks like a satin polish will be the order of the day !:)

Nottsbiker
22-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Good call!

How loud do you think your exhaust is going to be, from the last pic I guess at very...

gary tompkins
22-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Oh lordy

They are gonna be sooooo loud :on:

Lima071
25-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Get it going. Looks great.

Sam69
26-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Need some adviceJ

Just been fitting some fuel line junked the diaphragm tap in place of a ball valve but keeping the diaphragm pump (which I will eventually junk when I find a decent small electrical one to take its place out of sight) I also have the std CV carbs. Can someone tell me what the two 6mm pipes are on the bottom of the tank see pic, are they breathers or for a return if a return where from? I can see breathers on the carbs but nothing else.

utopia
26-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I think those two pipes are a breather and a drain, both from the fuel cap.

re. pump and tap....
1) with a manual tap, could the diaphragm pump be damaged if you start up without remembering to switch the fuel on...?
2) Some monsters had an internal electric fuel pump (not the round one in the base of plastic tanks, but one fitted through the filler neck and secured with clips inside). See Dukedesmo's project thread for details.

Sam69
26-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Not sure about damaging the pump. found old pipes in the box that fitted and suggested what you have confirmed but had some braded tube that I used instead.

Sam69
28-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I thought my seat looked a bit old against the newly painted tank and frame so dropped it off the be recovered yesterday and my wife picked it up on her way home this evening. Now thats service!

Lima071
28-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Who recovered it?

Sam69
29-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Who recovered it?

David Hanan
Unit 24
Newhailes Road
Musselburgh
EH21 6RU

0131 665 0900

Nottsbiker
29-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Seat looks like a tidy job - what did that cost you if you dont mind me asking?

Also the braided hoses look a lot better than having dull old rubber pipes hanging down.

Zak
29-02-2012, 09:51 AM
I thought my seat looked a bit old against the newly painted tank and frame so dropped it off the be recovered yesterday and my wife picked it up on her way home this evening. Now thats service!

That looks incredible!

Off to phone David now!

Z.

Sam69
29-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Seat looks like a tidy job - what did that cost you if you dont mind me asking?

Also the braided hoses look a lot better than having dull old rubber pipes hanging down.

Not a lot more than a standard seat cover loose, that was fitted and custom made worth the money in my opinion.

Zak
29-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Spoke with David re: Seat cover, great guy, really knew his stuff, very friendly, my seat is being sent up next week for recovering and back a few days later, price is incredible.

Thanks for this supplier, great heads up, shame we dont have a supplier listing page on here, makes me wonder what other great suppliers Ive missed.

Z.

Sam69
29-02-2012, 04:39 PM
You are welcome! he does like a bit of a bleather. Spoke to him this morning he has offered to do same day if anyone is traveling subject to booking in, can't get any better than that.

Zak
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
You are welcome! he does like a bit of a bleather. Spoke to him this morning he has offered to do same day if anyone is traveling subject to booking in, can't get any better than that.

Sent my seat off to him on Friday, after seeing the incredible job he did with yours I'm like a school kid waiting to see the end result!

Thanks again for the pointer!

Z.

Sam69
05-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Finally finished my exhausts off late Friday night, one had been sitting 10mm lower than the other I thought just cut the last bend twist around a wee bit then weld up, was it feck ended up cutting the whole l/h side up and starting again 7hrs later finally happy with it.

Saturday afternoon took it off the bench put in some fuel and tried to start it up no joy! must have been an airlock in the fuel line from the tank to the diaphragm pump so used an airline and forced the fuel through :) it worked first stab of the button and my daughter ran for cover feck it is loud.

Sunday, Have made small carbon caps for the end of the exhaust which calms it down to a sam acceptable level.Fitted the belly pan and a set of bar end mirrors. Still have brakes and clutch to bleed.

Zak
05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Looks incredible, cans look immense.

What rubber are you running on?

Z.

Sam69
07-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Looks incredible, cans look immense.

What rubber are you running on?

Z.

Michelin Pilot they came with the bike not sure what they are like have not been near a bike on the road in twenty years, suppose it will be like "my first ride" all over again!:)
Pic of the can on the exhaust I prefered the look of the cone but slowly warming to the more acceptable noise level with the caps. I think if I make another set may go for a 60mm exit instead of 75 and will be able to get more wadding into the exhaust. Whats the e.t.a. of your seat?

Zak
07-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Michelin Pilot they came with the bike not sure what they are like have not been near a bike on the road in twenty years, suppose it will be like "my first ride" all over again!:)
Pic of the can on the exhaust I prefered the look of the cone but slowly warming to the more acceptable noise level with the caps. I think if I make another set may go for a 60mm exit instead of 75 and will be able to get more wadding into the exhaust. Whats the e.t.a. of your seat?

Seat comes back today WOO HOO! :banana:

Sent Friday to sunny Scotland, recovered and back to me today, and for a great price, I'd like to see many main stream suppliers provide that level of service!

Z.

Nottsbiker
07-03-2012, 12:35 PM

I'm definately agreeing with you on the look of the cones - in my humble opinion the current design looks awful :(

Still I guess you have neighbours and the police to keep happy ;)

Sam69
07-03-2012, 09:00 PM
This is why I had to put on the carbon silencers! :mand: http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/th_M2U00100.jpg (http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/?action=view&current=M2U00100.mp4)

Zak
07-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Hahahaha! That's f*cking amazing!!! Should've left them out!

Sam69
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Still sounds good cith the silencer tho! http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/th_M2U00101.jpg (http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/?action=view&current=M2U00101.mp4)

gary tompkins
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Hate to say I told you so

but...

Oh lordy

They are gonna be sooooo loud :on:

and also why most aftermarket cans now have an exit pipe which accepts a slot in db killer

Sam69
09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Last couple o pics before I put it to bed!
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1915.jpghttp://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1911.jpghttp://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1913.jpghttp://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1918.jpg

Sam69
20-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Gave up on the carbon can could not warm to the look of it so made another set of silencers today, feel better about the look of it now.
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1941.jpg
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1942.jpg
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1943.jpg
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/scotiasam/Ducati%20Monster%20build/IMG_1938.jpg

Mark Taylor
21-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Does this mean your other pipes are up for grabs? - 1st dibs please.

Sam69
21-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Does this mean your other pipes are up for grabs? - 1st dibs please.

They are not made to suit std headers though. I cut them up and then increased the headers up to 2" dia.

Mark Taylor
21-03-2012, 07:26 PM
My luck out again, bummer!

littlejimmy12
22-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Really nice bike Sam

Sam69
22-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Really nice bike Sam

Cheers! booked in for an MOT next Friday looking forward to having a bike back on the road been a while hope the weather holds for another few weeks. :)

digga
22-03-2012, 08:47 PM
NEAT ....

well done. :hail:

That belly pans not to my taste - but hey, its not my bike.

Luvvin that seat though ;)

Sam69
22-03-2012, 09:32 PM
NEAT ....

well done. :hail:

That belly pans not to my taste - but hey, its not my bike.

Luvvin that seat though ;)

Crank cases need stripping of paint so pan is the easiest option. Depending on how other Ducati projects go I will strip this after this season and vapor blast the cases and leave bare alloy then remove the pan as I have worries about cooling issues.

Nottsbiker
23-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I'd be tempted to paint the back part of the frame black as well as losing the belly pan - strange as many bikes suit belly pans but on Monsters they seem very hit and miss.

utopia
23-03-2012, 12:17 PM
The finished bike's lookin' good.
I'm particularly impressed with the quality (and speed) of your pipe mods.
Mind you, I still think a single can would have looked very sweet (and you might have had me as a customer for a second set), but the two cans look great anyway.
Not too sure about your sidepanel logo though.

I had a similar big bellypan on my 750 and I too thought that it caused cooling issues....I'd be enveloped in a great wave of heat every time I stopped at traffic lights.
I changed it for a short, monza style pan and have had no further worries.

I can't speak for PR3s, but I've had PR2s for about 6000miles now and, thanks presumably to the double compound (and my dislike of motorways) the profile is STILL nicely rounded.
If the PR3s do have the claimed improved wet weather performance on top of that, then they will be excellent.
I'll certainly be trying them next change.

Sam69
23-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I was swithering to build a two into one but now that I have done the two into one I like the look of it from the rear. I dont have a problem with traffic lights the closest set are a half hours drive away! :)