PDA

View Full Version : Chop in the S4 for an ST4S?

Phatty
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I put my S4 up for sale earlier in the year, just fancied upgrading a little to an S4R. But the prices just weren't making it a viable option really.

I'd toyed with the idea of a multistrada last year as my mrs has started coming out on the bike with me now. But, I'm too short so they're not an option. They're also one of the ugliest bikes ever made.

More recently I'd been thinking of buying a more sensible daily bike (I commute on the S4 every day) and maybe get a track bike too. Then I thought sod it I might just tart the S4 up a bit and keep it another year. Whilst looking for (and unsuccessfully trying to buy) an ST4S shock it suddenly clicked.... Why don't I just buy an ST4S!!?

It's got the same wheels and brakes as mine, same frame, swingarm. Nitrided front forks, Ohlins rear, an a 996 motor! Sure, it's boring to look at, but it's comfier for me and the mrs, I could put my Magura bars on it, and it's give better weather protection, and we could actually go away touring too.

Any pitfalls aside from the staid image? Will I have to grow a beard? Will it ride as good as the S4?

Scotty
07-11-2011, 07:34 AM
from what ive read elsewhere , the faring can be a bit of an arse to remove for maintenance and the headlight isn't the worlds best

makes more power / has a slightly different tune than the 996 monster motor I think

go for it :D

Stafford
07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
from what ive read elsewhere , the faring can be a bit of an arse to remove for maintenance and the headlight isn't the worlds best

makes more power / has a slightly different tune than the 996 monster motor I think

go for it :D

As Scotty says above, comfy bike if it has either the later standard seat or touring one.
PM bigredduke for his thoughts as he's recently acquired one.

He11cat
07-11-2011, 10:20 AM
My friend rides his to the south of France very regularly he swears by it , has never let him down and is comfy two up and loaded up.
He loves it and his bike of choice for touring even though he has other bikes.
Its a real work horse for him clocks up serious miles on it. He said as long as its serviced well and looked after its a great bike.

Phatty
07-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I could always leave the fairing off and fit a great big 7" headlight. Oh wait...

Phatty
08-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, found a 2003 ST4s ABS in Senna colours just like my S4 locally for a good price. Going to go look at it Thursday night.

Phatty
10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Bought it :-)

Felt totally different to the S4. Not used to having all that plastic guff in front of me, or mirrors that don't move with the handlebars!

May just hold onto the monster until spring just in case the ST4s isn't for me. But I'm sure I'll grow to love the extra practicality and power, even if it's not a looker.

Thirdway
12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes, I own one along with the Monster 1100s.

Lots of stuff to know. Most people think it's got the same forks as the 996. Unfortunately not. It has the forks from a 70s Superbike, the outside looks great, the internals are pants. Soon as you get a moment get the front end done.

You probably have the same issues with sprag clutches and batteries so know the drill.

The instrument LCD display needs dismantling and sealing with silicon otherwise it just fogs up and ceases to work in rain.

Be extremely careful around the mirrors they are very fragile even if you brush past them a bit hard.

Fairing is a puzzle to remove and replace. You can get a Dzus kit which makes things easier.

Side stand switch is a nuisance, you can get a kit to allow it to warm up on the stand. Some kits interfere with starting so be careful.

Brakes can vibrate pulse due to the semi floating collets seizing. Give them a in with an electric drill and a bolt.

Keep an eye on steering head bearings and wheel bearings as they are known for short life.

Don't change the brake and clutch levers for pattern parts as they contact the fairing during turns and can cause the brake switch to stick.

When the forks are sorted get the rear raised if it hasn't already been done as the bike can be a touch sluggish in turns. On slow, tight bends it can be a good workout if keeping up with sports bikes.

That's the bad bits sorted, now the good. It's an absolute blast, the engine is pokier than the 996 donor bike and it can really fly. On a ride out around Scotland with Street Triples and a BMW 1200 GS, the BM rider was so shocked at the performance that he bought a 4s Senna (might be the one you bought?), then sold it for a rarer 3s (which has a much nicer seat). I love mine and hardly bothered with the Monster this year. Call it the yellow tractor.

If you keep in mind the usual Duc foibles it's a great bike to have. If they make a new version I would be in the Q.

Phatty
13-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Front discs have already jut had the bobbins cleaned up. Might rob the Yuasa battery off my S4 if it's the same, I'm guessing the ST one might be bigger.

Gonna have a while to sort the bike out as I'll have both bike for a while, so will get the forks sorted.

I didn't think it felt as punchy as my monster, need to find a better road to stretch its legs, it was dark and damp on the test tide and I only had my jeans on.

Picking it up Saturday, can't wait! Will stil the red wheels on the monster and put the grey ones on the ST. Will still hang around on the forum I think, some great advice on here.

Thirdway
14-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Front discs have already jut had the bobbins cleaned up. Might rob the Yuasa battery off my S4 if it's the same, I'm guessing the ST one might be bigger.

Gonna have a while to sort the bike out as I'll have both bike for a while, so will get the forks sorted.

I didn't think it felt as punchy as my monster, need to find a better road to stretch its legs, it was dark and damp on the test tide and I only had my jeans on.

Picking it up Saturday, can't wait! Will stil the red wheels on the monster and put the grey ones on the ST. Will still hang around on the forum I think, some great advice on here.

Your not far from me, I had the suspension sorted by Reactive just outside York.

Phatty
14-11-2011, 01:56 PM
You're the second person to recommend Reactive. I know where he's based, not too far away, will get some valves off him. I just did the S4 fork seals and oil so I'm not scared of taking them apart.

Thirdway
14-11-2011, 05:08 PM
You're the second person to recommend Reactive. I know where he's based, not too far away, will get some valves off him. I just did the S4 fork seals and oil so I'm not scared of taking them apart. I think there is a bit of chopping and threading to do. Anyway, not a problem as Gareth will likely know exactly what he did.

He is extremely good, proper talent. Used Maxton a couple of times but Reactive are in another class.

Your challenge is to get him to smile. He is such a serious engineer and perfectionist. It's a real pleasure to come across someone with that old fashioned attitude, knowledge and enthusiasm. Not seen that since the 70s when the proper toolmakers were around, none of that CNC malarky just deft touch and an accurate micrometer.

Phatty
15-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Fantastic news. That's the sort of people I love to use on the rare occasions I do pay anyone to do any work for me. I usually resort to doing everything myself because most places are an utter shambles.

As tempting as it is to do it straight away whislt I've still go the S4 to use I think I'll run the ST for a while first so I can actually feel the improvement.

Thirdway
15-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Fantastic news. That's the sort of people I love to use on the rare occasions I do pay anyone to do any work for me. I usually resort to doing everything myself because most places are an utter shambles.

As tempting as it is to do it straight away whislt I've still go the S4 to use I think I'll run the ST for a while first so I can actually feel the improvement.

Oh that won't take too long once the bike is standing up in the corners.

We should meet up for a ride out sometime. I usually organise rides for another forum and have had groups ranging from 2 to 25. Steady riding obeying speed limits etc. Don't ride much in the winter months but still have the odd shorter route for the brave or foolhardy.

Phatty
15-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Sounds good to me (well, apart from the speed limit bit!)

Thirdway
16-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Sounds good to me (well, apart from the speed limit bit!)
We just ride sensibly, no daft overtakes, no blatant infringement of traffic laws and appropriate use of speed. Doesn't say we are slow, but does mean that slower riders are not intimidated and don't feel the need to take risks to keep up. Several of the guys are very fast, they tend to go off alone and everyone joins back up at direction changes and coffee/petrol stops.

Been doing this for a while now so the format works well. Get the odd grouse about too fast/slow but you can't please everyone.

bigredduke
16-11-2011, 03:23 PM
That sounds like a good format, I would be up for such an outing if you can cope with another bright yellow ST!

Thirdway
16-11-2011, 05:57 PM
That sounds like a good format, I would be up for such an outing if you can cope with another bright yellow ST!

Yes, more the merrier.

Is everyone Put their bikes into hibernation over winter?

If the weather holds a bit then a weekend run sometime before I attach the sledge wouldn't be out of the question. No big distances, plenty of stops to warm up. It would likely be spur of the moment due to the uncertainties of the climate. We can exchange contact details by PM and see what everyone's availability is.

If not this year, then early March is as good a time as any.

Let me know and I can organise a short route somewhere between York/Darlington.

bigredduke
16-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Generally I don't ride over winter but, given dry, salt-free roads I will go for an occasional spin to run the engine. The bike is kept taxed & ready to go!

Thirdway
16-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Generally I don't ride over winter but, given dry, salt-free roads I will go for an occasional spin to run the engine. The bike is kept taxed & ready to go!

Yes, snap. Course it all depends if it decides to start after a few weeks in the garage.

See if Phatty is on for a quick ride out before winter closes in. Pick a couple of dates and then phone the night before to check weather.

Phatty
17-11-2011, 08:46 AM
I've set aside the whole day on sunday. Was gonna spend it cleaning and swapping parts over, but sod it, might as well go for a ride and familiarise myself with the new purchase.

I'm sort of in between Thirdway and bigredduke, in Stamford Bridge. Happy to meet up anywhere really.

bigredduke
17-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Stamford Bridge? That's only half an hour away from me in South Cave. I hope your house is on high ground!

Thirdway
17-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Looks like Sunday might be a half decent day.

I hadn't realised you meant Brought at Hull :rolleyes:

Still should be fine as there are enough roads between us.

Was out today on the Monster, back roads are mud infested, had a couple of minor back end slides, bit chilly but not bad at all for November.

Sunday is fine for me. I will have a look at a map and get back with a plan, meeting times and place if you are up for it?

Will see if any of the lads off the other forum fancy a bit of fresh air.

Anyone else that wants a ride out is welcome.

Thirdway
19-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Not had a reply so I'm thinking it's no go on Sunday ? Probably a bit late now to organise a route, maybe next year?

bigredduke
19-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Not had a reply so I'm thinking it's no go on Sunday ? Probably a bit late now to organise a route, maybe next year?

Apologies. Hideously busy at the moment so I can't take even a couple of hours to get out on the bike :grump: But we will get out at some point.

Phatty
19-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry, not been online for a while. Might head up north rather than to brough if anyone is about?

bigredduke
20-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Glad I didn't venture out today. Temperature didn't get above 6.7 C with persistent mist all day here. Made my workload seem almost welcome!

Phatty
16-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Sold the St4s today. Didn't even come close to the Monster for rider enjoyment.

Thirdway
16-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Nope, that's why I have the Monster as well.

bigredduke
16-01-2012, 11:44 AM

I know it may be heresy on a Monster site but I find the ST4S more enjoyable to ride. Maybe it's the big comfy seat or perhaps my age!

J.P
16-01-2012, 01:15 PM
It's definitely both Big Red, but you won't find me arguing against it.

Phatty
16-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Glad I didn't venture out today. Temperature didn't get above 6.7 C with persistent mist all day here. Made my workload seem almost welcome!

It was -4 on on my ride in this morning!

Well, it's gone, just need to decided if the Monster stays or goes now. It's already won one fight.

Thirdway
16-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I know it may be heresy on a Monster site but I find the ST4S more enjoyable to ride. Maybe it's the big comfy seat or perhaps my age!

I love riding mine as well but the Monster is very different, far more sporty.
Phatty already owned the 4 valve engine in the S4 so is used to the character.
I like owning both 2 valve air cooled and 4 valve water cooled as they are so different. The best of Ducati.

jerry
18-01-2012, 07:18 AM
[I] have a M750 ans 750SS but i now love my S4 as much once i sorted the suspension out with 996 forks and an ohlins rear and the 4 valve motor is now so smooth and torque ridden with a decent PC3 map, its a great tourer too .