PDA

View Full Version : Steeevvvooo the snail's blog

steeevvvooo
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Started my DD prep blog tonight. Hope it's of interest to some people. Any feedback appreciated as this is my 1st blog, so if I bore you to tears, or anyone has tips on how to write the perfect blog, I'd love the hear

http://stevogoesracing.blogspot.com/

slob
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Nice one Steve

rac3r
03-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Cool! Look forward to seeing your updates. What is your racing number? :D

Rally
03-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Congratulations Steve, it looks good so far mate. :thumbsup:

steeevvvooo
03-11-2011, 10:42 PM
cheers Rob.

Not got as far as a number! I've paid a deposit on a bike, but need to join DSC, join hotrax, join ACU, have an eye test, do a basic course, collect the bike, get a trailer, set it up, learn to ride the thing... (not necessarily in that order)

maybe I haven't thought this through properly :dizzy:

pegboy
03-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Well done mate. Good luck nothing wrong with that blog. Look forward to more reading.

Funkatronic
04-11-2011, 03:12 AM
good work steve

im really intrigued how you will get on, tempted to join you ;-)

gonna be steep learning curve on a number of counts methinks, but in a good way

whats the code on that ohlins spring? might have it off you

Mand
04-11-2011, 05:12 AM
First time I've ever read a blog, so feel honoured :biggrin:

I'm looking forward to following your progress and hopefully see you at oulton

Mrs cake

dunlop0_1
04-11-2011, 05:47 AM
cheers Rob.

Not got as far as a number! I've paid a deposit on a bike, but need to join DSC, join hotrax, join ACU, have an eye test, do a basic course, collect the bike, get a trailer, set it up, learn to ride the thing... (not necessarily in that order)

maybe I haven't thought this through properly :dizzy:

Not much to do then Steve. :chuckle:

Mr Cake
04-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Ace blog Steve! I'm glad you got sorted with a bike :thumbsup:

C

bex
04-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Well done Steve, exciting stuff

J.P
04-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh dear, you've gone and done it now.... :)

Mr.Number
04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Brilliant Steve, no you havnt made a mistake at all, dont be a fart..

Throw your heart at it, i bet youl love it, ill watch with interest good luck

utopia
04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Nice one, Steve.
Looking forward to following your progress.
Bizarrely, I was almost tempted myself in a moment of madness while watching the DD races at Castle Combe this year. Fear and lack of funds saved the day though (lack of talent wasn't enough on its own). Maybe you'll be an inspiration for next year.
Hope to catch a few rounds this year...might pop in the paddock to say hello.
Results don't matter much, its the taking part that really counts. I think you were right to go for it this year rather than wait.

Mr Cake
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Maybe you'll be an inspiration for next year.

Maybe. Just maybe...

C

gary tompkins
04-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Well done on the DD bike purchase

Can you swap the swingarm in the rules? If so I have an Alloy one off a 900 that may do the job.

Scott1
04-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Good work,

I'll have to look at the DD calendar and see if I can get along and watch, actually, where is the online DD calendar?

I saw one of those black and yellow 600's yesterday, I've never really liked them in the pictures but I thought it looked really nice.

alan c
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Well done Steve and good luck.

i am sure you will have a great time, and big respec ! you must enjoy life and go for thigs you want to do, even if its only one season at least you can say you have done it.

You never know BSB in a few years !

Come on Stevo

steeevvvooo
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Well done on the DD bike purchase

Can you swap the swingarm in the rules? If so I have an Alloy one off a 900 that may do the job.

I think you can, so would be interested... PM me with details please mate

good work steve

im really intrigued how you will get on, tempted to join you ;-)

gonna be steep learning curve on a number of counts methinks, but in a good way

whats the code on that ohlins spring? might have it off you

Ali, it's a hyperpro spring I think, but on an ohlins shock? Either way it's going to be too stiff for me so will be coming off. If your interested am sure we can sort something out considering I still owe you money (won't make it to fatboys sorry but I haven't forgot!). As for getting involved... would be great if you do :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone else for encouragement and well wishes. It's going to be a long road, but I'm already excited... :mand:

Rally
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I know someone selling a bike trailer if you need one Steve?

steeevvvooo
04-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I know someone selling a bike trailer if you need one Steve?

bought one today thanks. Got a Dave Cooper one second hand so pretty happy with it. Can't reverse it though :o

steeevvvooo
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
update from earlier today

I won't be updating for a week or two now while I get my list of jobs/priorities sorted, then I hope progress over the winter will be swift :spin: :thumbsup:

gary tompkins
09-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Well done on getting the first session in and passing the ACU test

Lima071
10-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Steve, it all looks promising. I hope you enjoyed your track day.

scrapps
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Just seen and read you blog mate and its great. I am sure a few of us kenties will be around to cheer you on and lend a hand if you need it.
I will pop along and cheer you on when possible .

Good luck and well done on your ACU test.

Lima071
10-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Scrapps, is that wind or gas turbine bay?

Mr Cake
11-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Top blog Steve :thumbsup: Glad the TD and ACU stuff went well. Regarding your brake pads; try something like Bendix MRR or Carbone Lorraine SBK5. You'll soon realise how numb EBC pads are compared to the confidence-inspiring feel of the two brands I've mentioned. I put EBC HH on the R1 and they'll be going in the bin over the winter having experienced the SBK5's on the 6R!

C

He11cat
11-11-2011, 01:46 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270845710526?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_951

Good luck :) I saw this and thought it was a nice Desmodue bike.

Flip
11-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Good to meet you at Brands on Wednesday Steve and glad you got the exhaust bracket sorted after your assessment. It was nice to have someone else in the novice group doing the ACU Test.

Great Blog too and for what it's worth I have had pretty much the same kind of thoughts as you with regards to getting out there!

Thoughts that were polarised by a wet track, tyres 3'' wide and (apart from riding the bike up and down my road to make sure it didn't cut out) my first proper ride since buying my 1965 Ducati Mach 1 last August with the intention of going classic racing next season.

As for brake pads- you should try drums to put things in perspective (still only needed the front though so I guess it's all relative) and then add to that a right foot gear change with a race pattern 'up for down' and 'down for up' shift.

Anyway, good luck with it all, I will try and get along to a meeting or two and see how you're doing.

All the best,
Flip.

Steve about to pass me up the hill to Druids:

Wrider
11-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Great blog, true inspiration I hope to do this one day. Would love to see some if races, where can I get see the calendar??

Mr.Number
15-11-2011, 02:45 AM
Steeeevvo, busting a gut to join you next year. Think your aware from previous messages I wanted to do it but a ****ty event put a spanner firmly in the works. I will know by mid jan if its a goer.

On the look out for a bike though, nothing showing on the dsc at the moment but will keep checking in.

Hope sorting the bike isnt bogging you down too much, but it will all be worth it come that first race !!

Chat soon.

scrapps
15-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Scrapps, is that wind or gas turbine bay?

Its wind turbines in the bay Lima and they look very nice 5 mile off the coast.
They are putting over 100 wind turbines up a bit further along the coast.

steeevvvooo
18-11-2011, 05:48 PM
...I will know by mid jan if its a goer..

Hope you can get something sorted. There have been a few class B bikes for sale recently, but not many class A (I saw you were asking about a 620).

Would love to see some if races, where can I get see the calendar??

Provisional list is here. Would be good to have some support, although not sure I can handle the expectation!! :mand:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/showthread.php?t=84972

Mr.Number
18-11-2011, 06:52 PM
make sure you get some pics up when the bike is good to go

Twentytoo
18-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Nice one..will be following.....

Twentytoo
18-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Hope you can get something sorted. There have been a few class B bikes for sale recently, but not many class A (I saw you were asking about a 620).

Provisional list is here. Would be good to have some support, although not sure I can handle the expectation!! :mand:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/showthread.php?t=84972

Keep the reminders coming...I'll come to Mallory. If you need help on the spanners just let me know. I'll be 'honoured'......(I'm an enthusiastic amateur mechanic....)

steeevvvooo
10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Latest update, after my first race, is on the blog. Feel free to follow for more updates...

...however, not sure if they will be imminent or later in the season. :worried: :toilet:

chris.p
10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Good to meet up with you today fella, don't worry about being a bit slow, we all go through it, have a talk with us tomorrow morning and i will get my brother to talk you through the corners and how to take them ( Paul on the number 9 bike in the garage next to you.).

Chris.

slob
10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Hang in there Steve, you'll get faster... but not if you don't continue.

bex
10-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Well done for getting stuck in Steve.... dont be disheartened :thumbsup:

steeevvvooo
10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks all. I wasn't posting for sympathy but appreciate it anyway! :)

Lots of people on here have mentioned they would like to give racing a go so I wanted to let people know honestly what it's like. It's a wake up call, but I've had fun these last two days, hopefully I'll have even more tomorrow. I just wish there were more proper novices to battle with, or maybe it's on me to find the extra pace to catch them :look: :o

I want to have improved my riding and pace by this time next year (target 1min 02secs for Brands on a class B bike I recon). I'm not sure what combo of training and actual racing that will entail, but that's the target.

Chris, I think I was speaking to Paul for ages today about the track. He was one of the very helpful people I referred to :thumbsup: The problem is more in my head (braking too soon) and confidence in the grip of the tyres, along with lean angle and body positioning... basically everything, and it's all related :hissy:

dunlop0_1
11-03-2012, 02:27 AM
It will get better Steve I have no doubt and neither should you.
There is no magic dust however, the more track time you get the better you will get. :mand:

Makes you realise as I did what racing is like after someone say's to you, "Oh yeah, my mate on his R1 etc he could race cos he's really quick on the road". :chuckle:
Then on a TD you pass him on your old 600 twin braking into the first corner. :mand:

Nottsbiker
11-03-2012, 07:11 AM
I see you go racing with hottrax, one of my colleagues is their photographer and his name is Alan or 'alfonso' so I'll keep an eye out on his Facebook pages for any pictures of you mate :)

steeevvvooo
11-03-2012, 08:31 AM
races 2 and maybe 3 (depending how I feel after race 2) later today! :worried::shocked::D

Will try and post another update later. Also hoping to have budget-so-far figures in a week or so as people have also asked about this element (the thought of 5 figure budgets put lots of people off but that's not the case in DD)

Darkness
11-03-2012, 08:47 AM
races 2 and maybe 3 (depending how I feel after race 2) later today! :worried::shocked::D

Try to relax, and enjoy the day. The weather is looking good!

:spin::spin:

dunlop0_1
11-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Will try and post another update later. Also hoping to have budget-so-far figures in a week or so as people have also asked about this element (the thought of 5 figure budgets put lots of people off but that's not the case in DD)

All depends Steve on what you want. All in all DD last year with fuel, 12 sets of tyres, accomodation, test days and repairs from several off's cost me around 10K :mad:

But still worth it. :mand:

J.P
11-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I hope it has gone ok for you mate

steeevvvooo
11-03-2012, 06:28 PM
All depends Steve on what you want. All in all DD last year with fuel, 12 sets of tyres, accomodation, test days and repairs from several off's cost me around 10K :mad:

But still worth it. :mand:

I can easily see that, but then again, people who already have a bike CAN do a season on about 3k. Lots of people don't do every round too so I guess that brings down costs

I hope it has gone ok for you mate

Went ok thanks mate. Was last in all 3 races :shocked:, but I expected that after the wake-up call of the test day.

Managed to knock well over a second off my qualifying time in the second race (down to about 1min 7.5 secs, no laughing Neil!! ;)), and although a little slower in the third race, I was still 0.5-0.75 seconds quicker than qualifying.

My target after the test day changed from "don't be last" to "beat my qualifying time and make sure I don't get lapped by every single other racer". Both were successful as I at least finished on the same lap as at least 1 other person so relatively happy :D ;)

Had an annoying "Did Not Finish" in the second race: the winner crossed the line about 6 seconds behind me (I was 2 laps behind at this point) and he caught me in another half lap at which point we were all flagged back into the pits as the race was over. As I didn't cross the line to a chequered flad I got a DNF :thumbsdown: It was a technicality, and pretty annoying as that race had my fastest lap, so to not be classified was frustrating :twak:

gary tompkins
12-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Nice to see you at Brands today mate

The 600 sounded strong and I thought you rode the race I watched very well

I'll try to stick some photo's up here later - still think you were robbed on that DNF :D

He11cat
12-03-2012, 12:52 AM
When is Snetts??? I go up and watch the twins race sometime but DD would be fab to watch ..

No Mr and Mrs Dunlop this year :( I bet your really missed as a fab couple .

The new section is nice up there to watch .... you should see some of the action shots I took up there!!

dunlop0_1
12-03-2012, 04:28 AM
I can easily see that, but then again, people who already have a bike CAN do a season on about 3k. Lots of people don't do every round too so I guess that brings down costs

Went ok thanks mate. Was last in all 3 races :shocked:, but I expected that after the wake-up call of the test day.

Managed to knock well over a second off my qualifying time in the second race (down to about 1min 7.5 secs, no laughing Neil!! ;)), and although a little slower in the third race, I was still 0.5-0.75 seconds quicker than qualifying.

My target after the test day changed from "don't be last" to "beat my qualifying time and make sure I don't get lapped by every single other racer". Both were successful as I at least finished on the same lap as at least 1 other person so relatively happy :D ;)

Had an annoying "Did Not Finish" in the second race: the winner crossed the line about 6 seconds behind me (I was 2 laps behind at this point) and he caught me in another half lap at which point we were all flagged back into the pits as the race was over. As I didn't cross the line to a chequered flad I got a DNF :thumbsdown: It was a technicality, and pretty annoying as that race had my fastest lap, so to not be classified was frustrating :twak:

Steve, I know the 2 lap thing is frustrating but if you look at last years results some where lapped 3 times. So not to bad then. In fact if memory serves in the first race last year all but the first 3 class B bikes got lapped.

dunlop0_1
12-03-2012, 04:29 AM
When is Snetts??? I go up and watch the twins race sometime but DD would be fab to watch ..

No Mr and Mrs Dunlop this year :( I bet your really missed as a fab couple .

The new section is nice up there to watch .... you should see some of the action shots I took up there!!

Still a chance of an appearance yet Mel. Hoping at some stage to race the 996 in Supercup.

Zimbo
12-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Don't be disheartened Steve, Brands is a circuit that really shows up the difference between experienced racers and new riders, circuit knowledge and experience really count there. Other circuits will be kinder.
What is for sure is that your riding will be dramatically changed forever after a season or two of racing.
Position on the bike is key, learn to shift your weight smoothly on the seat, and get your upper body over the side as well - to get this right, try deliberately dropping your inside shoulder once into the turn, that automatically pulls you into a good position.
Braking is very important in DD, with all the bikes on similar power corner exit speed is important so you need to modify your corner line to maximise exit speed, but most overtakes are made on the brakes. It will come with a bit of practice!

steeevvvooo
20-05-2012, 08:48 AM
http://stevogoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2011-10-25T11:58:00-07:00&max-results=7

An update from round 2 at Snetterton. A bit late, sorry, but I've been v busy recently.

littlejimmy12
20-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Good stuff, nice shots 2

Zimbo
20-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Good write up, stick with it, by the sound of it you're gaining in confidence and your riding is coming on well. A couple more rounds and you'll not be at the back, race craft takes time to pick up but you're well on your way. Look forward to the next installment!

gary tompkins
20-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Great to hear the guys helped repair the bike after your prang

That typical DD spirit for you... looks like you are one of the gang now ;)

slob
20-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Nice one Steve, seven seconds over the weekend is excellent.

remember your first trackday?

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/steeevvvooo/snetterton%20300%20April%202012/0d565c80.jpg

steeevvvooo
20-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Yep slob, it all started with a track day at Caldwell with the UKMOC boys, I remember it well :D

The spirit of most of the DD paddock is great. There as been so much support, advice, encouragement etc it really does make the difference for a newbie.

The shots are good, but most are from the official photographer. I must try to get more around the garages next time. Blackberry will be out in force for some less official photos :look:

slob
20-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I know... look at the difference !

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=14404&d=1281902607

that was less than two years ago

steeevvvooo
20-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I know... look at the difference !

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=14404&d=1281902607

that was less than two years ago

Brilliant!! :D

bex
20-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Couldn't agree more. Well done man, and bloody impressive photos!

He11cat
20-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Well done and yah for the little black and yellow bike :)

steeevvvooo
09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Overdue an update on this, but I've been a busy boy, as you will see if you click the linky and go to older posts (twice)... Stupid blogspot makes the most recent post show first, so I have to put everything in reverse order so it reads like a story :fou: :dizzy:

http://stevogoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/

For regular readers, a quick link to the latest update is here...

http://stevogoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2011-10-22T09:38:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=3&by-date=false

J.P
10-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Do you ever fear you're trying to do too much ?? :)

steeevvvooo
10-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Do you ever fear you're trying to do too much ?? :)

too much is never enough!