PDA

View Full Version : Run up to Whitby

richc
27-10-2011, 05:50 PM
I know I'm a new boy on here, but thought I'd post and see if any of you Monster dudes fancies a run out.

Myself and a couple of people from Ducati Up North are heading up to Whitby this Saturday. Weather is supposed to be dry, but a bit chilly.

Leaving Squires about 9:30. Headin up to Thirsk, Helmsley, Pickering, up to Whitby for chips! Then down to Scarborough. Will probably head to Sledmere, Stamford Bridge and back past Squires on the way back.

Probably get to Thirsk about 10:30 ish. Whitby hopefully for lunchtime.

Cheers

Rich

Mohawk
27-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I did the very same run two weeks ago. Lovely roads. wish I was nearer

Small Clanger
27-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately, I'm working but have a good day.
If you've got time try the A1257 Helmsley-Stokesley road. Turn left instead of right at the top of Helmsley market place and then right onto the Rievaulx/Stokesley signed road. It's about 18 miles of fantastic biking road known locally as the "Bilsdale TT"
At the roundabout just before Stokesley, turn right (4th exit) to Great Ayton, past Roseberry Topping (A173) and Guisborough and onto the A171 (speed-cams on the dual carriageway bypass) then twenty-ish miles to Whitby. It'll add about 40/50 mins to your journey but it's well worth it.

bigredduke
27-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately, I'm working but have a good day.
If you've got time try the A1257 Helmsley-Stokesley road. Turn left instead of right at the top of Helmsley market place and then right onto the Rievaulx/Stokesley signed road. It's about 18 miles of fantastic biking road known locally as the "Bilsdale TT"
At the roundabout just before Stokesley, turn right (4th exit) to Great Ayton, past Roseberry Topping (A173) and Guisborough and onto the A171 (speed-cams on the dual carriageway bypass) then twenty-ish miles to Whitby. It'll add about 40/50 mins to your journey but it's well worth it.

Yes, a great road but unless you keep religiously to speed limits, forget it at the weekends. Far too many of the filth around and you will get pulled.

Small Clanger
28-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Admittedly, the North Yorkshire Constabulary may be out and about but you don't have to ride like an idiot to enjoy the roads around here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Desmond
04-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Would love to but am riddled with flu and shingles at the mo. Keep us posted when you plan the next trip as it's a great run out. Hope the weather stays fair.

He11cat
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
There's a hot rod meet there as well tomorrow .
So some nice cars there if you like that sort of stuff ( I do)
Also may be Whitby Goth weekend so careful not to run any over :)
I've never been but would like too maybe next year .
Hope the sun shines on you and your chips ..

Mand
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Whitby is super, I took Kelly my daughter back in june for a weekend, the chips from the magpie were lovely, but not as lovely as the pie and mash shop near to the swing bridge, yummy!!!

its worth a visit :)

Small Clanger
04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
The Humble Pie, a splendid shop, pie heaven in fact. Pie Nirvana. Pie Shangri-La even.

I think the ride to Whitby was last week-end though. Get well soon Desmond.

Phatty
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Typical, I live in Stamford Bridge and I'm busy all weekend, bugger. Have fun guys, great roads, just watch out for the cops, they're everywhere. Especially up near fridaythorpe.

richc
04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Had a good run out. Myself on the Monster and a ST3 ST4 & ST4S. Probably Yorkshires supply of ST's! The weather was a bit chilly, but the roads were clear and dry.

It was Goth weekend, think it was a bit cold for them tho. You'd think with the undead lot the cold wouldn't bother them!

Loving this Monster. I really miss the Paul Smart, really miss! but the S4R is so much better for me. Shame the bad weather is here.

If more are interested next year, I'll run a Monster Yorkshire Lot rideout. We left Sherburn cafe at 9:30 and returned there around 4. This included a stop at Helmsley, a stop at Whitby for lunch and a break at Scarborough and Stamford Bridge. About 180/200 miles altogether.

Desmond
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
I think the ride to Whitby was last week-end though. Get well soon Desmond.

It's the drugs – really, I don't know what planet I'm on. :dizzy: I didn't realise legal drugs were this good. Long live the NHS!

We are off to the bike show at the NEC at the end of the month. Plan is being on the eight-twenty-something out of Wakefield on Friday 25 Nov. Ah, fond memories... it was at the bike show in 2003 that I sat on my first Monster and the dream began :biggrin:

Small Clanger
05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
At least you have a Monster, this dude had to make do with a T-shirt.

Desmond
05-11-2011, 03:06 PM
At least you have a Monster, this dude had to make do with a T-shirt.

Who does he think he is – a world-class racer? :confused: Jeez, what he needs is a real monster! :biggrin:

buzzbomb
05-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi Alice get your self better lass.

It's just a pity that you couldn't come to Milan with us next week.

Enjoy the NEC theres always another year for Italy.

Desmond
06-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi Alice get your self better lass.

It's just a pity that you couldn't come to Milan with us next week.

Enjoy the NEC theres always another year for Italy.

Ciao Geoff, Thanks for the good wishes. Milan's lovely and I wish I was going. Have a great time – I'm sure you will! I can't complain about foreign trips this year though, what Qatar, Assen and San Marino... can't think what made us choose those destinations! Hoping to make it over the Pennines soon (I hear Serge has become a radio star :chuckle: ) so see you then!
Alice