PDA

View Full Version : crash...

cairojay
24-10-2011, 07:36 PM
On my way home in the rain on a loaned Harley from Riders as the Monnie's in for some work, approached a pelican crossing at about 30ish when a guy stepped out with the lights flashing yellow, anchored on the front as I always do on the monnie and the front end washed out on me in a straight line, smacked me down pretty hard, bruised pelvis and shoulder so nothing major luckily, might be a bit groggy but hey nothing a few beers won't solve. Sobering lesson, it seems that a Harley's better on the back brake than the front, no weight and no fork dive to mention. Still all seems a bit strange that the front should go in a straight line whilst not braking particularly hard.....I will never ever buy a harley. (Guess it was probably my fault considering the conditions.)

Mr Cake
24-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry to hear that pal :( You'll be a bit stiff in the morning. Soon be right though.

Is the road ok? Just kidding, glad you're safe.

C

revver
24-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Hope You feeling o.k.
I had a near miss on sat checking out bikes coming in opposite direction and giving them a nod and the car in front had stopped behind a car turning right spotted it last minute left a 5-6 metre darkey on the road and under pants.

Lima071
24-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Chris at work dropped his Harley in the same way, skinny from tyre no good for stopping.

cairojay
24-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys, does make you realise how easy it is, you're so right about harleys - and also thinking that they are better on the back brake than front. I use the front almost 95% of the time on the S4R so I guess I'm just used to trusting the front more.

bex
24-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Nasty, glad you're ok!

Saint aka ML
24-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Road could be a factor. I dropped monster 2 times that way, each time from very very low speed.

1. Pothole while braking as I was to close to truck in front to see.
2. Gravel and bit to much brake.

uksurfer
24-10-2011, 10:34 PM
thats a shame, hope you feel better soon, at least it wasnt your monnie though

He11cat
24-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Hope your ok...
yup HD'S better on the back brake then front....
compared to brembo brakes ... hmmmm.... older HD brakes are a bit pants.

My friend just jumped from a SV1000 to a 999 ( eeek I thought) told him to be careful as different beast to SV don't be giving it a handful straight off ( Mother hen here) ... binned it riding it home from buying it.... I suspect grabbed a handful of the front brake.
Luckily its being fixed and think its given him a shocker.

Hope your ok its no joke when people step out usually with a "doh sorry!"
Get some Arnica down you it helps no end or rub some Arnica cream in your bruises grab some at most chemists or Holland and Barrett..
Helped me no end when I went for a scuff down the road! Doctor advised it and it really helps!
Take it easy poor chap :(

cairojay
25-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the well wishes - much appreciated! £1000 excess on Riders insurance policy so I'll be picking up the bill for the damage, no doubt that will run into a few hundred quid, only took mine in to investigate a sticky gear lever which is costing nearly £500, the whole thing is turning into a bit of a nightmare. Looking forward to the end of 2011!

Nickj
25-10-2011, 08:57 AM
That's very unlucky!!
You got what is probably the only harley in the world with a front brake that works properly, I'd complain about that!!
My experience of HD stopping power was when standing on the brakes something did happen, it seemed to be limited to the levers moving though; the bike just continued merrily along

animaluk
25-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Easy to do on a cuiser as all that weight transfers to the front and breaks away the tyre leaving you wondring what happened

J.P
25-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear what happened. I hope the bruises heal soon

gary tompkins
25-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Easy to do on a cuiser as all that weight transfers to the front and breaks away the tyre leaving you wondring what happened

I agree.. coupled with the wet tarmac

Hope the bill for repairs isn't too bad but I'm sure a few hundred won't cover it - HD parts are expensive

He11cat
25-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd have ridden it into the river bloody things!!
Let it sleep with the fishies:)
hope it doesn't cost too much :(

cairojay
25-10-2011, 12:41 PM
So just dropped it back to Riders and their immediate assessment is that its going to cost well over a grand - excess is massively over the top but I'll probably end up having to pay it and never go back to Riders again

jerry
25-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Harleys have excellent brakes on the back wheel , you have to use a different technique fro Ducatis but they can stop on a pin if you practice

cairojay
26-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Yeah realise that now - the back brake on my monnie barely works yet on the harley it feels like it makes the bike sit down a bit.