PDA

View Full Version : Indymacators....

Chadman
23-10-2011, 08:50 PM
O.K electrical font of knowledge, advice please...

I have an S4R with original 'cowhorn' indicators which are handy if ya need somewhere to hang your lid but not the prettiest part of the bike.:chuckle:

My question is this: Do any aftermarket mini-indicators work? I seem to remember on my old 916 i had to change the bulbs?? Am i going (gone) slightly mad? Is it better to use LED ones?? Will Vale's bike ever work with him on it???

Cheers dudes.:thumbsup:

Chadman
25-10-2011, 06:59 PM
anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller.......:confused:

Can i take it by the stunned silence that i am dumb and can just fit any indymacators???....:mand:

uksurfer
25-10-2011, 07:05 PM
i think if you fit led's front and back you will need resistors, you will probably get away with bulb front and led rear or vice versa, hope that helps?

Mini indicators should work fine all round if they are bulb

Chadman
25-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Nice 1, cheers....

Lima071
25-10-2011, 10:05 PM
You can get the resistors from maplins

Mdwysc
26-10-2011, 07:53 AM
what value of resistance is required? to match the origional lamp, single or the resistance of 2 lamps (front and read added together)? (bulbs are what you plant in the ground)

Gilps
26-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I originally fitted 2 Rizoma LED's to the rear and needed resistors to make them flash correctly. I then fitted LED's to the front and found that I didn't need to fit more resistors, so I guess the ones at the rear had done enough.
The ones at the rear were fitted in series (in line)

Chadman
26-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, any idea on value of resistance?.....

popelli
26-10-2011, 07:57 PM
badlands make black boxes that fool the system into flashing correctly regardless of what bulbs you use, this may be easier than trial and error

Dukedesmo
26-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Resistors work OK but get hot. You can get replacement flasher relays that flash at the same rate regardless of bulb resistance, this is a much better way IMO.

Capo
26-10-2011, 09:13 PM
The flasher units require this draw current for the timing circuit, so basically you just want to shed off the same amount of power that would normally be taken by the incandescent globes, i.e. 10watts per indicator globe.

So, to get rid of 10 watts in a 13.8V system...

V=IxR hence I=V/R
P=VxI, so with a bit of substitution
P=V2/R, hence R=V2/P

Put in our figures and
R=13.8x13.8/10=19 ohms or for ease of purchase 22ohm should be fine (8.7watts).

So if you hook this in parallel with the light you'll now draw away the 10W the light use to.
As for power rating, a 10W resistor should not have any problems. Although you will be drawing 10 watts of power, it should only be at around a 50% duty cycle and hence won't build up as much heat in the resistor.

If you're a bit more adventurous you can just put the one resistor across the output of the flasher unit. Around 19ohms for one pair of indicators replaced or halve the resistance (twice the current therefore twice the power) and double the power rating for both front and back replaced.

Note that the resistors should be wired in PARALLEL not series to the load.

Lima071
26-10-2011, 09:21 PM
15 or 20 ohms. They cost pennies, and strap the to a frame to cool them.
How often, and for how long, are you using your indicators.

Gilps
27-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Note that the resistors should be wired in PARALLEL not series to the load.

I fitted mine by cutting one wire to the indicator, then soldered the resistor in-line with that wire, then did the other indicator the same way. Have I wired it correctly, and is that parallel then or series?

Lima071
27-10-2011, 07:22 AM
have a look on r&g's website the have plug and play connectors fo under £3.
I was looking for 900ss crash protectors.

Capo
27-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I fitted mine by cutting one wire to the indicator, then soldered the resistor in-line with that wire, then did the other indicator the same way. Have I wired it correctly, and is that parallel then or series?

Thats series

bigredduke
27-10-2011, 10:15 AM
O.K electrical font of knowledge, advice please...

I have an S4R with original 'cowhorn' indicators which are handy if ya need somewhere to hang your lid but not the prettiest part of the bike.:chuckle:

My question is this: Do any aftermarket mini-indicators work? I seem to remember on my old 916 i had to change the bulbs?? Am i going (gone) slightly mad? Is it better to use LED ones?? Will Vale's bike ever work with him on it???

I fitted Oberon indicators to my S4R and they looked really good. I fitted resistors but found out afterwards that they were not actually needed.

http://www.oberon-performance.com/acatalog/Oberon_Mini_LED_Motorcycle_Indicators.html

Gilps
27-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Thats series

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was series, but your earlier post confused me a little. So I should have wired them up parallel then? They seem to work ok.

Chadman
27-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Thankyou again oh font of knowledge, has given me plenty to go at....

I'll let ya know how i get on, the Oberons look good tho.