PDA

View Full Version : London....my city

Kameloil
17-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I guess that like many people on here I take my daily commute for granted and get into work and back out again without much regard for what's just off my regular route.

Last Friday night after a crazy week, I took a few hours to explore some of London that I haven't visited for a good few years. Hampstead, Camden, Marylebone, The City, a jump down to the north side of the river with all its sights and a 'spirited ride' home down the A40.

We forget where we are living and what a beautiful (not Camden at closing time to be honest) incredible, country we have under our feet.

What I did see all over town was every manner of Monster, parked up, looking forlorn and neglected. So what I want to know is where are you Londoners? I can see your bikes but you're not on this forum and while every other county around us is meeting up, London has got its lights off. Anybody out there?.........Bueller?

:gromit:

He11cat
17-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Plenty of London based monster owners on here they will be along shortly!

Yes it is a stunning city.,
I took it for granted when growing up.
Then I moved away ..
I always feel at home when coming back and just slip back into the hustle & bustle.
Not sure how well I could ride it these days got used to living in sleepy Suffolk.
I've always said il go back and I will family there.
I got sidetracked by life.. I can go back whenever as folks in the suburbs:)
enjoy its when you step away from the place for a while that you notice how stunning some things are..

Paivi
17-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Wot wot?

My Monster's not neglected, just left to rest. The Vespa takes care of the commute.

bex
18-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm nearish Camden... bikes kept in a garage though :)

I often forget I live in a pretty cool city and why I came here in the first place, tend to get a bit caught up in the daily grind between home/work/uni type thing and overlook all the interesting stuff thats right under my nose.

rac3r
18-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Mine is hiding in the garage :D

Some these guys usually do a ride to Essex if you keep an eye on the forum

Cutter
18-10-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm here and finally my project is on the road and commuted today!

Davidg1230
18-10-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm using mine for the daily commute at tthe moment. Only from Battersea to Holborn mind, but intend to ride throughout the year.

I agree with you about London, some of my rides along the most famous parts of the city are truly breathtaking and it's easy to take riding past the Houses of Parliament, St Pauls, The Strand and over numerous London bridges for granted. Riding around the city with all the tourists can be a pain though, but when you get swamped by little french kids taking your picture of your bike and giving the thumbs up at the lights, it does give your ego a boost.:biggrin:

I've had my S2R for 6 months now and have noticed how the traffic light etiquette has changed since my scooter days. Before, my 50cc scooter would be laughed at and the bigger bikes feel no empathy in swerving infront of me at the lights and prushing infront. Then, with my 125cc scooter on 'L' plates commanded a bit more respect infront of the smaller 50cc Paiggio's, but would still loose out to the courier Ninja's.

But, finally, with my big polished red/white Monster pulling up to the lights, it is me who gains the respect now from other big bikes and the envious glances from the 50cc commuter boys.

I feel riding in London to be safer than elsewhere, partly because the commuters know bicycles and motorbikes will always be around them and it's the norm for the 2 wheelers to outnumber the cars at most lights.:)

J.P
18-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Get up at 3am and ride round London. That's a wonderful experience.

Scott1
18-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I commute on my 696 from South to North London every day of the week, rain or shine, have done on various Monsters over the last five years. In my job I have to travel round a bit and Monster sightings in London are like waiting for buses, don't see one for ages then you see three one after the other.

Mind you, last Winter did for me for a bit, that was horrible.

Saint aka ML
18-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Get up at 3am and ride round London. That's a wonderful experience.

3am is harsh as drunks leave clubs. For me best is 5am in summer, there is already day light and you still got city ghost town especially if you do that on Sunday ... extra empty even hobos are at home.

animaluk
18-10-2011, 12:03 PM
"Neglected monster" I nearly spat out my Pie & Mash I see loads of monsters on my commute and quite a few see or hear me on mine

I like commuting through London it's cool

He11cat
18-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Can't miss him eating jellied eels of his shiny tank........

animaluk
18-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Gercha !!!!

Kameloil
19-10-2011, 11:04 PM
ooops, seems like i've rattled a few cages. ;)
Look forward to getting to know a few more of you at the next Fatboy's meet:D

slipper40
20-10-2011, 03:01 AM
i am lucky to see a monster in cornwall but the wife and i just spent a couple of days in london in a hotel at the top of waterloo road , and i have never seen so many monsters, bikes that is ,..;0)