PDA

View Full Version : 696 ECU / Start-up menu.

Sid
14-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm having problems with the fueling on my '08 696 . The bike had Termi's fitted with the race ECU and Filter. I've been told by the shop i bought the bike from that the previous owner took the Termi's off and changed the ECU and filter back the standard before trading it in to them and before i got it but i'm thinking he may have left the Race ECU and filter on , and this is the reason for my fueling issues. Someone else has now told that you can check this when you turn the key on and the dash displays does it's self test thing. When the Model name scrolls by , it tells you what ECU is fitted. Mines says "DUCATI M696 - RACING". Can anyone tell me if the "RACING" is indeed refering to the ECU or do they all say that? Anyone with a totally standard bike ... what does it say on their display ?

Thanks .. Sid.

ryanhorton1973
14-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi. If the display says Racing on it then your bike has the Termi ecu fitted to it (and possibly the optional filter as well) On the standard bike you get the country come up on the display (i.e. Monster 696 UK).

BigOz
15-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Another issue may be the Throttle Position Sensor, if the previous owner fitted the Termi ECU the TPS may not have been setup correctly either.

I hope the old owner didn't sell the Termi exhaust with the stock ECU or there will be an unhappy Termi owner out there somewhere too.

Assuming you can't get the original ECU you have a few choices.

1) Find a set of Termi Cans I don't think they can be bought new without the ECU which you already have.
2) Find a Stock ECU and filter, ECUs do appear on e-bay try to get one from the right year and get the correct one regarding ABS or non ABS if you get one from a newer bike. Selling the Termi ECU should recover the cost.
3) Get a Power Commander V fitted which can be used to correct the fuelling though not at the very bottom end where a closed loop fuelling system is in effect, dyno time will be needed but there should be someone fairly local.
4) Get the ECU custom mapped although you might need to take a trip south to BSD http://bsd.uk.com

Nat696
15-10-2011, 06:22 AM
When I had termis & new ecu fitted to mine, it started saying Ducati racing, so looks like you still have the termi ecu still!

Sid
15-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks Guys. Very informative .
I think i'll try and find a set of Termi's and see how things go.
Thanks again ... Sid.

Dookbob
15-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Wouldn,t any make of aftermarket straight through cans do with the Termi ECU?

BigOz
15-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Wouldn,t any make of aftermarket straight through cans do with the Termi ECU?

Probably better than the stock cans yes.

Andy