PDA

View Full Version : 900ss converting to monster

Lima071
09-10-2011, 07:58 AM
I am streetfightering my 09 (02MY) 900 sport i.e after not selling it for 3k.
It is too good a bike to sell for silly money so a monster conversion is in order.
I am looking for a monster top yoke so that I can fit risers and fat bars.
Has anyone got a top yoke a light bracket, and any info on relocating all the ancilleries that hide under the fairing?
I would also like to know if anyone has used an analogue to digital converter with digital gauge/ gauges?
Thanks for looking.

Scotty
09-10-2011, 09:35 AM
humm I paid 3k for my 900ss a year or two ago, (did have all the right bits though 5 spokes , updated alu swing arm ) dealer price though

anyway I do happen to have some monster yokes (but not the bar clamps)

£50 posted I'll get a picture up if that's of interest ?

there are some nice ones inc bars on ebay but top top dollar

paynep
10-10-2011, 08:25 PM
If I remember rightly the older carb (small tapered headrace) Monster yokes have a different offset to the SS ones so you'll need both top and bottom yokes.
And when you fit them you may find you have sod all steering lock as this is what happened when I tried it on an older carb SS frame.

Best bet may be to get some risers welded onto a spare set of SS top yokes.......or turn the SS clipons upside down!!

Lima071
11-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Thanks for thr info,and this is the reason I haven't gone jumping in and buying bits.
Now for question 2; does the st2 3 or 4 have the same spacing as an ss so I can use their top yoke with clipons?

paynep
11-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Me again!
Nope, the STs are the same as the injected monsters but not the SS/SSie or carbed monsters....

AFAIK, all that will fit directly to your bike are SS/SSie and 851/888 yokes.

Why not go for the carbed Monster ones, lengthen the swing arm and make a dragbike!

Only yoking

Lima071
11-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I am going for grafting some risers on to a new ss yoke.
This does explain why there aren't many ss streetfighters.
I have bought some street triple headlights and started on the design of the bracket to hold them.

Dookbob
13-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Surely there is room to drill and tap the existing top yoke to take a pair of bar clamps.

Lima071
14-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Surely there is room to drill and tap the existing top yoke to take a pair of bar clamps.

It is not the drilling that is the problem, it is that you will be cutting through webs on the rear and therefore weakening the yoke.

Dookbob
14-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I looked at that , there is room to miss the web and still get a tapped hole in there. The reason I looked is because I have a spare 600ss top yoke that I am going to do just that with , in preparation for the next 600ss( a bike I particularly like) that I buy.