PDA

View Full Version : Watery Monsters

rac3r
06-10-2011, 10:58 PM
So I've read in a few places now that due to emissions rubbish Monster's will no longer be air cooled! I know this is pretty bad for the whole Monster tradition BUT do you reckon that Monster's of the future will finally make some decent power to match the cc's?

I also think now is the time to hold on to the original Monster's :D

Gordon H
06-10-2011, 11:04 PM
So I've read in a few places now that due to emissions rubbish Monster's will no longer be air cooled! I know this is pretty bad for the whole Monster tradition BUT do you reckon that Monster's of the future will finally make some decent power to match the cc's?

I also think now is the time to hold on to the original Monster's :D

Oddly enough, some prominent kettle straddlers have recently gone over to proper (ie air cooled) Monsters - allbeit of the modern type......

rac3r
06-10-2011, 11:10 PM
From the sounds of it kettle's will be the only choice in a couple of years! :(

That means the last real Monster would be the 1100 Evo

Gordon H
06-10-2011, 11:24 PM
That means the last real Monster would be the 1100 Evo

Some might argue that was the m900....... (carbed of course, none of this new fangled fuel injection trickery)

Pomp1
07-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Not a chance. What would happen to, say, Harley? Plus the Italians would simply lie on the emissions results.

Pomp1
07-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Some might argue that was the m900....... (carbed of course, none of this new fangled fuel injection trickery)

This calls for a pipe Gordon..

J.P
07-10-2011, 06:35 AM
The 'Kettle Straddlers' who have switched to the newer Monsters have probably done so, not because of power, but because the bikes are lighter & easier to ride, rather than because they want a downgrade in power.
I've said myself many times that if they stuck a proper powerful engine in the Monster, like the 1198, I'd buy one in a shot, because I don't want to go from 140 bhp on my S4R to 99 bph on the 1100 EVO.

He11cat
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
I feel like a dinosaur.... im pulling up a chair and a pipe with Gordon.

Yes the above makes sence J.P ...

mintyhit
07-10-2011, 10:32 AM
It’s about time the air-cooled brigade gets dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

/runs and hides

samieb
07-10-2011, 10:33 AM
JP, tbh the only time I notice a huge different is when I switch back to a 1098R. Something odd about having almost 200BHP from a paultry Monsters 100BHP. However the Monsters (new or old) are more than enough in reality to atleast keep the points off your licence, whilst still enjoying your freedom of the open road.

I hope if they do change the Monster engines they put proper sized fuel tanks on them too. 12 or 13 ltrs might get you approx 90-100 miles, but in some places petrol stations sometimes have greater distances between them than Monster petrol tanks allow. Hence why I bought an M1100s instead of an EVO, its only 2ltr but that could be what you needed if you ran out. 1 of the only downsides really. :chuckle::mand:

Char
07-10-2011, 10:37 AM
It would appear many are switching to the dry side

:toilet:

samieb
07-10-2011, 10:41 AM
It would appear many are switching to the dry side

:toilet:

Sometimes though Char, your spitting bastard feathers for a cuppa at times it can be that dry.

:chuckle: :running: :biggrin: :booze:

He11cat
07-10-2011, 11:16 AM
I will happily drag people off kicking and screaming ... but as for myself being dragged kicking and screaming anywhere never I will attach myself to your ankles with my teeth... The only kettle I own is a Tefal... :)

rac3r
07-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Not a chance. What would happen to, say, Harley? Plus the Italians would simply lie on the emissions results.

BMW are already testing their liquid cooled engines for next year to replace the air cooled ones. Apparently watery Monsters will arrive in 2013 which could maybe include a smaller version of the 1199? (I mean the next gen 848)

Rally
07-10-2011, 12:38 PM
The 'Kettle Straddlers' who have switched to the newer Monsters have probably done so, not because of power, but because the bikes are lighter & easier to ride, rather than because they want a downgrade in power.
I've said myself many times that if they stuck a proper powerful engine in the Monster, like the 1198, I'd buy one in a shot, because I don't want to go from 140 bhp on my S4R to 99 bhp on the 1100 EVO.

I'm with you on this one J.P I love the power of the watery one, but also the economy of the new air blower one. It does almost twice as much MPG as the RS. (Maybe a little to do with the way it's ridden, but that's what it was made for.) Also the service intervals are better on the newer ones.

I think the real reason people are turning from watery ones to air cooled, is simply that if they want a newer bike, they have no real choice now! Bring on the Diavel engined Monster. :thumbsup:

utopia
07-10-2011, 01:32 PM
I think its a bit of a shame that 21st century design seems always to go for increased technicality, power and complication. Sometimes I think it is better to consider that enough useable, real world performance can be had out of a more simple design . Technical advancement is all well and good, but is only beneficial when it delivers some practical advantage. For me, the 60 odd bhp that my carby, air-cooled 750 produces is enough to give me the performance I need to out accelerate most other vehicles on the type of roads that a motorcycle is suited to. Ok, sometimes I think that about 75bhp would be nicer, but I'd rather have the simplicity and ease of maintenance of an air cooled motor than have to put up with the extra weight and ugliness of a radiator full of water, so I'd go for a bigger engine rather that a more techno one if I wanted more performance.
As far as the environment is concerned, the small number of motorcycles on the road and the low mileages that they cover compared to other forms of transport means that any pollution control measures are going to have minimal practical benefit. I'd rather see controls on such things as the volume of holiday air traffic or our need to import new potatoes grown under artificial irrigation in the desert of egypt when we can grow our own with no trouble at all. Or how about switching off some of the neon advertising that pollutes our city centres, even at night when the shops are shut ? And don't even mention the night time moto gp in the middle of nowhere.
Air-cooled motorcycle engines are well suited to the task in hand, and it will be a sad day indeed when the are consigned to the history books on the spurious grounds of environmental protection. What about the notion that if you stick with what you already have then you don't have to waste precious resources making a new one ? Of course that doesn't hang well in the modern, expansionist, capitalist economy driven by over consumption and general excess.
And I speak as an environmentalist of at least three decades with the benefit of having studied environmental sciences at degree level.
I'm not against technical advancement by any means, and I would defend the kettle-straddlers rights to ride their bike of preference, but lets have some common sense about it and less techno-mania dressed up as eco-thinking.

There, thats got that off my chest.
Now, where's my pipe ?

He11cat
07-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Agree.. The older I get the more simple but effective stuff I like..
Having owned both aircooled and watercooled I prefer aircooled.
I like the simple unclutterdness of my little bikes..
I'm a slow coach I admit but you can only do so much with alot of power especially on our roads .. Unless you track day.
I feel my self pulled back to the bikes of my youth.
Bikes my grandfather rode.. And my Dad.
I've had to work with technology for years and I like to go home to the simple bikes that carry me along abait slowly.. I guess I long for a peaceful life not more gubbins and LEDs and pipes and bits ..
Each to their own..
Jeez I've got the littlest monster you can get :)
but it's sure fun!

Fugly
07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Bring on the Diavel engined Monster. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah baby!

gary tompkins
07-10-2011, 02:18 PM
This calls for a pipe Gordon..

I've just found him a new avatar

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41815_4131568779_6362_n.jpg

Pomp1
07-10-2011, 02:45 PM
BMW are already testing their liquid cooled engines for next year to replace the air cooled ones. Apparently watery Monsters will arrive in 2013 which could maybe include a smaller version of the 1199? (I mean the next gen 848)

Of course Ducati will put a watercooled engine on it at some point, with the new Panigale they'll have some engines leftover. Ducati needs an entry-level air cooled, or they'll price themselves out of their bread and butter market.

rac3r
07-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Of course Ducati will put a watercooled engine on it at some point, with the new Panigale they'll have some engines leftover. Ducati needs an entry-level air cooled, or they'll price themselves out of their bread and butter market.

They could make an entry level watercooled Monster, doesn't have to be a SBK engine?

Nickj
08-10-2011, 06:00 PM
The water jacket is just to shut the engine noise up, also allows the mix to be a bit leaner without cooking anything.
Mostly it's to fit into the Euro3 (I think it's 3) emmisions and noise regs, its also why there's that flat spot in most power curves these days as it's where the motors are tested.

As long as they make an entry level something, although they might well still price out of the market.

banditloon
08-10-2011, 07:20 PM

:thumbsup:

They are the ONLY Monster!! ;)

uksurfer
08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
if you want a new water cooled monster - you have to buy a streetfighter - the streetfighter is the reason your not getting water cooled monsters anymore :thumbsdown:

and hopefully newer means less breakdowns.......

Saint aka ML
08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
It seems all of you assume it will have engiens from superbike but do any of you know that one of the sport tourers, I think ST2 had a 944cc 2V engine like in a monster but water cooled. It will still be 2V, it will still have fins for cooling but it will be water cooled which might give it couple of BHP at best. Then again it will be heavier.
From rumorus both BMW and Ducati are doing it to go around emissions until they mange to get air-cooled engine design back up to right emisison levels. I just do not see air-cooled motor being dropped, especially with BMW where I think 85% of their range has one.

http://www.desmodemon.com/geezer_glide/geezer_engine.jpg

rac3r
08-10-2011, 10:54 PM
That's what I meant, normal water cooled Monsters not SBK engined ones