PDA

View Full Version : M1100S Brakes - Wooden!

RickyX
04-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Has anybody else found that the brakes on M1100S (possibly same on 696/796?) are basically a bit sh1t?

They stop the bike but are devoid of feeling.

I have just junked the standard pads and fitted Bendix MF pads (like I use on my other bikes) to see if these improve the feel. Only done 10 miles so far so can't tell if any better yet.

Thinking of fitting 2 full length HEL hoses to see if that helps.

Anybody else got comments on the brakes?

Cheers,

R

Rally
04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Ask Bex, shes on her 3rd set of discs on a 796!

I rode my S4Rs at the weekend and nearly put myself over the handlebars after riding the 1100S for the last few months, I couldn't believe the difference in the mono blocks!

Scott1
04-10-2011, 01:24 PM
My 696 brakes aren't too tasty, they were alright but now at low speeds you get nothing then a quick pulling in of the pads, this is on both the front and the back. On the bright side, they're much better than my old S2R.

There was a thread the other day where somebody had sorted theirs out by bleeding and cleaning them, might be worth investigation.

Albie
04-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Not overly impressed now. They were ok at first. Much better than the s4 I had. Rear works fine though Locky locky :mand::mand:
Im on discs 2 and these are now warped. Out of warranty now but they would only replace with sh1te again.
I locked the fronts up 2 years again in blind panic and sent me over the bike to brake my shoulder so they do work. Just dont work as well as I would have thought now.

bex
04-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Pants, 3rd set. If I had the cash I'd fit something else, but I dont, so I'll just keep moaning and replacing them till my warranty runs out...

BigOz
04-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Hi,

Try Carbone Lorraine SBK5 pads they work for me, very progressive without too much initial grab and they really stop if you haul on them.
Whatever pads you use check them to see they haven't glazed especially if you use them lightly all the time and give the pads and the disks a good clean with some good brake cleaner.
Also take a look at your pad pins, the pads need to slide on them freely to grab and release the disk correctly. I used to remove, clean and lightly lube them with copaslip taking care to use as little as possible so it cannot get on the pads/disks. I've now replaced the pins with polished Titanium pins from ProBolt (not as expensive as they sound) and noticed since the bike is easier to push about and on the go the brakes do seem to work better.

Andy

neilo
04-10-2011, 07:38 PM
No problems here, even though I've only done 1500 miles on mine.

I agree that regular cleaning of the pad pins can make a difference...

smudgerii
04-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Brakes are good but not great.... clean pins defo help with keeping them at their best.

Pro bolt titanium pins, suppose it's time for the credit card again :rolleyes:

RickyX
04-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Hi,

Try Carbone Lorraine SBK5 pads they work for me, very progressive without too much initial grab and they really stop if you haul on them.
Whatever pads you use check them to see they haven't glazed especially if you use them lightly all the time and give the pads and the disks a good clean with some good brake cleaner.
Also take a look at your pad pins, the pads need to slide on them freely to grab and release the disk correctly. I used to remove, clean and lightly lube them with copaslip taking care to use as little as possible so it cannot get on the pads/disks. I've now replaced the pins with polished Titanium pins from ProBolt (not as expensive as they sound) and noticed since the bike is easier to push about and on the go the brakes do seem to work better.

Andy

The SBK5 and Bendix MF pads are pretty similar in performance so I think that'll be good.
Have always been fastidious when it comes to clean brakes - when I changed the pads last night I cleaned the pistons, the slot where the pads sit, pins, heat shield etc and then lubed the pins and backs of the pads with Copaslip as always done.
It was all pretty clean anyway (bike only done 3800miles).
I doubt the pads will glaze as I don't think I know the meaning of using the brakes "lightly":biggrin: Even tho' it's just my commuter scooter, my ride to work is always "spirited"...you just gotta use that torque really!

We'll see how the new pads go then I'll maybe change the brake lines.

R

SunEye
04-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Well after 10,500 miles on an 1100 my opinion is that they slow the bike quicker than the ones on my Kawasaki ZRX1200R, but that's mainly to do with the weight difference of the bikes.

I agree that they are a bit devoid of feeling. Sometimes I think they're rubbish and aren't stopping me quickly enough and other times they're stopping me too quickly. I can only conclude that it is because I'm not getting the feedback that I need to judge the lever pressure correctly. So I've given up using the brakes and rely on engine braking only ;)

BigOz
04-10-2011, 08:56 PM
If anyone goes looking for new pad pins the calipers are the same as on the pre-EVO 848.

Andy

Jan (Belgium)
05-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I've changed the whole lot on mine, after the original discs warped

Armstrong wavy discs + Brembo carbon pads in combination with MG biketech levers
For me it works a whole lot better compared to the original brajes / pads / levers.

Don't think changing the hoses will change much, the original ones are steel braided already

RickyX
25-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Has anybody else found that the brakes on M1100S (possibly same on 696/796?) are basically a bit sh1t?

They stop the bike but are devoid of feeling.

I have just junked the standard pads and fitted Bendix MF pads (like I use on my other bikes) to see if these improve the feel. Only done 10 miles so far so can't tell if any better yet.
R

Update after a few hundred miles: Bendix MF pads are MUCH better than standard wooden pads.

Got a TD on Nov 6th - that should be the real test!

R

RickyX
11-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Update after a few hundred miles: Bendix MF pads are MUCH better than standard wooden pads.

Got a TD on Nov 6th - that should be the real test!

R

Update after Brands Trackday - Bendix MF pads performed really well. Lots of feel, no fade.
Recommended if you want to improve the sh1t feel of the standard pads!

R

Stafford
11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I use Bendix pads as well on my P4s and they are very very good.