PDA

View Full Version : If you don't have sat nav...

rac3r
02-10-2011, 05:57 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN1005.jpg

:chuckle:

I wanted to do the route some of you guys did recently but I have no sense of direction at all so all I could do was try and remember some pictures from Google maps, I made it in the end. Was a nice cruise and now that I know how to get there I can explore the surrounding roads. I haven't done a long ride in ages and I'm now broken completely!

Thanks Pegboy? for posting the route up last time :thumbsup:

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN1003.jpg

Grumpy
02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I live in the area your nav was showing,so next time your up for a ride,let me know and i will show you some roads that are gems.

Pomp1
02-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Roads around Thaxted are brilliant

utopia
03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I use similar route notes as I don't have a sat nav.
In order to preserve the paint on the tank, I fix mine to the flat top surface of my handlebar clamp. Blu-tac has always proved plenty strong enough, even with only my small cowl to keep the wind off. Its easier to glance at in that position too.

Scott1
03-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I live in the area your nav was showing,so next time your up for a ride,let me know and i will show you some roads that are gems.

This is true, Grumpy knows his way around more bends than a plumber. There is one we took last time I was out on the way to Southwold, where it was kind of very sharp 90 degrees left, onto a small humpback that then dives under a bridge, absolutley mental.

I was in Thaxted yesterday, only had a short blast but it was superb....incidentally I always get lost and should possibly use the 'post it sat nav' option.

rac3r
03-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Cool, should meet up with you guys one day for sure!

The post it sat nav was a just in case, the only way I can get anywhere is by remembering pictures as reference points

On that day I also found out I have a fear of steep downhill bends :shocked:

Qba
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
You mustn't go to Alps then! ...Or go and fight it :thumbsup:

pegboy
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN1005.jpg

:chuckle:

I wanted to do the route some of you guys did recently but I have no sense of direction at all so all I could do was try and remember some pictures from Google maps, I made it in the end. Was a nice cruise and now that I know how to get there I can explore the surrounding roads. I haven't done a long ride in ages and I'm now broken completely!

Thanks Pegboy? for posting the route up last time :thumbsup:

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN1003.jpg

Your welcome mate i do exactly the same with my notes, i usally look through google maps and at junctions go to street view and see the signs, landmarks, pubs anthing on the corner that will jog my memory to turn basically, so i have a good memory once i see something, but i still get lost and sometime you find great roads that way.:thumbsup:

Stuart42
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I like using a 'Staff Nav'

he got us from a hotel in Albertville in France to our hotel in Cotollica by looking at a map twice.

All I had to do was follow his number plate, I did that close enough that I was using his slipstream to save my poor 750 engine, so another bonus.

Cheers
Stuart

rac3r
03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
You mustn't go to Alps then! ...Or go and fight it :thumbsup:

That one doesn't seem to bad actually :chuckle:

Puddu82
03-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Your welcome mate i do exactly the same with my notes, i usally look through google maps and at junctions go to street view and see the signs, landmarks, pubs anthing on the corner that will jog my memory to turn basically, so i have a good memory once i see something, but i still get lost and sometime you find great roads that way.:thumbsup:

Looking forward to don that again on Wednesday Paolo!:yoparty:

Small Clanger
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I use this compact roadbook, from www.touratech.co.uk
It comes with a 60mm till-roll, just write the directions on it, wind it on and turn as you go. I got enough directions on it to get me up through S/W Scotland, west Glasgow, the Highlands and Islands, Cape Wrath and back down the East Side/FRB/Northumberland.
And (added bonus) once you get where you're going, you can use it for 'swipe if that puppie's fecked off with the Andrex.

He11cat
03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I used to do the same .. Route on tank .
Didn't used to get lost.
Now have sat nav ... I seem to get lost constantly!

I always end up in Felixstowe.
The worst one was going from Reading to Ipswich .. I started to panic when I saw the seven Bridge.
The roads had a diversion due to an accident.
But Wales??? Gulp

Grumpy
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
This is true, Grumpy knows his way around more bends than a plumber.

That is possibly because I am a plumber!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

pegboy
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
You know this system you can also have tear offs, sooooo cool.

gary tompkins
04-10-2011, 07:16 PM
It's a great system.. until it rains.. and you realise it wasn't waterproof ink :dunce: