PDA

View Full Version : clutch plates

blue_toaster
30-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I've just fitted a new pressure plate and open cover, and while I was at it took out the plates to have a look and clean out the dust. The friction plates look pretty well work which surprised me as the bike has a little less than 7K miles on it.

How long do the friction plates typically last in a dry clutch?

PDS
01-10-2011, 05:33 AM
I have read some people get through clutchs in a little time as 2k then some last 25k, it all boils down to how hard you are on a clutch, dry clutch's do wear quicker than a wet set up.
do some hard standing starts for a sure way to kill them :)

blue_toaster
01-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks, I don't think I'm hard on clutches though I've only done the last couple of thousand miles on the bike and I don't know how the previous owner rode it.

I'll start looking out for new plates.

PDS
01-10-2011, 07:30 AM
My personal advice on buying plates is don't be cheap like me :) i bought just friction plates off ebay and had to fiddle them in, next time i will buy friction and steels together,

blue_toaster
01-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I've always taken the view that I'd rather do a job properly and have replaced steels with friction plates in the past.

gary tompkins
01-10-2011, 03:41 PM
The steel plates don't wear as much. As long as they are still within specification why change them? You wouldn't swap your front discs if the pads wear out unless they were also knackered. Many dry clutches suffer due to a lack of cleaning, especially if using a solid cover. I strip and clean mine at every oil change - 3000 miles even though it runs vented.