PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter

tony_unn
12-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Bought a K&N filter from Boxhill Bikers web site, arrived in 3.5 days.

Fitted it last night but it was to late to start it in the garage so I will test it as soon as I can and let everyone who has a 620 know if there is any difference.

A Yerbury
12-11-2003, 01:02 PM
was it the flat one or the pod style? I got my monst with one fitted so dont have a comparison (the 14 tooth front sprocket makes a diff tho)

tony_unn
12-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Flat, couldn't believe the size of the thing, had the Monster over a year and had not looked at the filter.

Will turn it over tonight to check that it starts and will run it as soon as the weather is OK.

MikeBurns
12-11-2003, 02:07 PM
I've just fitted a set of the pod ones. They look great.....

Migsangel
13-11-2003, 07:28 AM
What is the supposed added benefit or BHP from a K&N filter?

tony_unn
13-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Whenever someone trys to sell you a new filter they always empahsise the increase in power or BHP, there might be some, if there is it will be a little possibly 1 or 2 even 3 if your lucky.

The main reason to by a K&N is that they are simply a much better filter that allows a better, cleaner throughput of air and you dont have to replace them ever, just clean them once in a while and they last forever.

A Yerbury
13-11-2003, 04:20 PM
yup If you have a dynoed carb and better pipes the filters the cherry on top. not pricey either. but before and after comp would be interesting..... god listen to me, "interesting"...! a filter comparison! jesus I need a shag............wot am I doing!!

ahem.
Alex is leaving the building
:)

tony_unn
17-11-2003, 06:40 AM
I was right the performance increase is negligble.

I tested it on Saturday on a piece of local dual carrigeway that I use, the only problem was it was blowing a gale, dead against going, with me coming back so couldn't get a true feel for what the bike was doing.

One thing I will say is that the acceleration feels better, more responsive and stronger if that makes sense, at one point I went from 6 to 7000 revs and it felt strong and happy to do it, the speed went from 83 to 96 at the same time.

sleepysteve
22-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can get some pod style air filters for my precious

MikeBurns
23-11-2003, 09:18 AM
I ordered mine from Hien Gerick (not sure how to spell it!) but I think most K&N dealers can order them for you.

LeMarsu
02-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by tony_unn
I was right the performance increase is negligble.

I tested it on Saturday on a piece of local dual carrigeway that I use, the only problem was it was blowing a gale, dead against going, with me coming back so couldn't get a true feel for what the bike was doing.

One thing I will say is that the acceleration feels better, more responsive and stronger if that makes sense, at one point I went from 6 to 7000 revs and it felt strong and happy to do it, the speed went from 83 to 96 at the same time.

Tony,

I changed my air filter too, but also changed the cover, to one with a bigger hole hence there is more intake and you can feel the performance change then.
Have you changed your cans yet?
I don't know if it is correct I was told if you increase intake it is better to increase output... hece limiting the bottleneck effect.

MikeBurns
02-12-2003, 04:43 PM
On my 900 I fitted the pod type filter and a Dynojet stage one kit but left the can's standard. I’ve had horrendous problems with setting it up. In the end I took it to my local shop (who are normally pretty good) and they couldn’t set it up to run smoothly either. So I’m in the process of returning the bike back to standard.

Davie
02-12-2003, 05:32 PM
If you fit pod filters you need to stage 3 dynojet, stage 1 is for k&n with airbox lid on- hence the reason it wont run, when i looked into pod filters i was advised against it and instead to fit a k&n panel n chop the airbox lid, seems to run ok, but havent had it on the road yet due to half of the bike either in the post or my lounge!

Davie..

MikeBurns
02-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Do they do a stage 3 for the monster?

Any idea what the difference is between the kits? Is it just the needles?

Anyway its all a bit academic as I’m about to order a VFR !