PDA

View Full Version : Arrow System Owners S2R/S4R

rac3r
22-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I need some help from Arrow System owners, could I please have a picture of:

1) Where the exhaust hanger mounts to the frame

2) Where the mid pipes mount up (where the cat used to be)

I'm not sure whether I'm meant to re-use the spacers where the cat was mounted and also if there are meant to be any where the hanger mounts to the frame.

Also how the bloody hell do you stretch those exhaust springs!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:

Liz
22-09-2011, 08:43 PM

With difficulty! I've got Arrows on my S2R 800 and I love the sound, can take some pics tomorrow evening and forward them on if that would help. The Arrows were on and fitted by a dealer when I bought the bike so I have no technical advice to offer (like I would anyway!)

Rally
22-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I've had a couple of Arrow systems and from memory they both fitted on without the little alloy fixings by where the cat was. As to the springs, I always use a bent coat hanger to pull them on, it works well and can then be done from a distance to stop the old 'bare nuckle' syndrome!!

Dave G
22-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Use a tent peg.

Seriously!:thumbsup:

rac3r
22-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the ideas!

The springs from the cans to the link pipes can be done off the bike but the other ones can only be done when the exhaust is in place on the bike right? If so I can see a lot of swearing in the near future :chuckle:

utopia
23-09-2011, 04:10 AM
I've not done it myself, but a cable tie seems to be a rough and ready favourite for fitting the springs.
I guess you make a ring out of it and loop it on the spring as a puller.
It does have the advantage of being soft, I suppose, to avoid any nasty gouges when a steel puller slips.
And it can't really get stuck cos you could just cut it off.

I also came across an odd but interesting method....get yourself a stack of small coins or washers, bend the spring sideways and insert them between the coils. I assume you would need to stagger them a bit.Once you have a few in there they hold the spring in an extended position while you slip it over the hooks before removing the coins/washers with pliers.

Personally, I'd go with the cable tie.
You could always thread it through a short piece of tube (soft stuff like petrol pipe might be good), to give you some sort of handle.

rac3r
23-09-2011, 09:46 AM
I also came across an odd but interesting method....get yourself a stack of small coins or washers, bend the spring sideways and insert them between the coils. I assume you would need to stagger them a bit.Once you have a few in there they hold the spring in an extended position while you slip it over the hooks before removing the coins/washers with pliers.

:chuckle:

I'll try the cable tie idea though :thumbsup:

rac3r
23-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Good news and bad news

Good news:

I bought a stud extractor and the stud came out pretty easily. I have the system in place but...

Bad News:

I can not line the left side mount up :cry: It's out by a few MM

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN0993.jpg

I gave up because it got dark and I was getting pretty annoyed. I haven't even got to the springs yet! :chuckle:

Dave G
23-09-2011, 09:27 PM
When you fit a system just loosely attach the headers first then the mid pipes, only just putting the bolts in gently and not tightening them at all, then your endcans. Now go back to the headers and tighten everything up working your way down the engine, the bolts will be tight but at least you'll have them in the threads.

Thats said on of mine sheared its head off a few years back, the cat replacement pipe, I did dremel the hole out a little but have had no problems since.

rac3r
23-09-2011, 10:31 PM
That's the way I did it but I'll try again tomorrow. I did also notice something which looked a little odd...

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN0996.jpg

Looking at the parts diagram for the S2R it doesn't look anything like what's in the picture. That silver thing sticking off the frame does anyone else have it on their bike? I thought the hanger is meant to sit flush with the frame mount

Funkatronic
23-09-2011, 10:56 PM
cor rac3r, sorry your having such a time of it

yes it should sit flush to the frame, whats that sticking out there? is it already attached to your frame or is it a spacer over the nut ?

could be someone has previously stripped the threads the exhaust nut on your frame and this is their repair

rac3r
23-09-2011, 10:59 PM
cor rac3r, sorry your having such a time of it

yes it should sit flush to the frame, whats that sticking out there? is it already attached to your frame or is it a spacer over the nut ?

could be someone has previously stripped the threads the exhaust nut on your frame and this is their repair

Everytime I make progress something else pops up and I'm guessing after all this sitting around the battery will probably be dead too :chuckle:

That thing is already attached to the frame, don't even know if it can be taken off!

rac3r
24-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Yay!

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN0997.jpg

I managed to get it mounted this morning then tried using every tool, cable tie, coat hanger method to fit the springs but I gave up. I called a big friend of mine as I have a brute force deficiency. The one on the top can went on after a few tries, second one he manged to stretch to the point it was too big!! Rear cylinder link pipe to can went on after ripping some skin from my friend and we gave up on the last one. I'll get that sorted at the garage. That weird thing on the hanger came off really easily which is scary, now mounted properly.

Now the fun! I started it up and thought wow it's pretty loud and then I went for a ride....:shocked: I have no words to describe the sound it makes, accelerate then come off the throttle and it sounds like a fighter plane!

I'll need a PC at some point as it sounded like I was being shot at a couple of times and I'm definitely putting the air box lid back on.

I no longer want a Streetfighter so much :D

Big Big thanks to all that helped and Ali for selling it to me! :thumbsup:

Funkatronic
24-09-2011, 10:35 PM
ha told you they were loud :-) jus wait till you set of your first car alarm, you wont help but grin

glad it was all worth it in the end

if you find a pciii i can give you my old map. wont be prefect but closer than what you have now. it wil be running lean though so put stock airbox back on and be careful on longer rides

rac3r
25-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Loud doesn't even describe it! although it didn't stop squirrels running out in front of me though

For now I'll put the airbox lid back on and see if the mechanic can tweak it a bit on the mathesis thing. The price of power commanders have gone up stupidly

Funkatronic
25-09-2011, 01:17 PM
might be able to help on that front in a few months, depending on what i do with the 1000 (still faffing as usual). will give you 1st refusal if i sell mine

rac3r
25-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks mate, hopefully they can get it set up decentish for now. Still need to get the brakes done as well!

Fugly
27-09-2011, 02:59 PM
That's the way I did it but I'll try again tomorrow. I did also notice something which looked a little odd...

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/rac3r786/DSCN0996.jpg

Looking at the parts diagram for the S2R it doesn't look anything like what's in the picture. That silver thing sticking off the frame does anyone else have it on their bike? I thought the hanger is meant to sit flush with the frame mount

Hi Rac3r,
Looking at the space you have between the frame mount and the exhaust bracket, I recently had the exaust mounting lug on the frame shear off my frame. I wondered if I had stressed it when fitting my Arrows. Looking at your picture I am wondering if I had a similar gap and didn't notice and just puled it up causing the bracket to shear off the frame.

I have just (last friday) got it welded back on and reassembled the exhaust to the frame and inserted a packing spacer to take this gap up.

You may want to keep an eye on it or pack it out with a similar spacer.

Fugly

rac3r
27-09-2011, 03:20 PM
I've removed that sticking out bit, it just came off in my hand!

I've mounted it back up with a rubber and metal spacer in the front and a nut on the back just in case. I might get all the original Ducati bits though to replace them if they are any better? The silver lug/spacer is £20 from Ducati!!